• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Say you are playing for Southern Districts in Sydney and they affiliate themselves with the Perth team in the NRC. The end of the Shute Shield season comes and Perth don't want you for the NRC you become a free agent.

As long as the ARU are dealing directly with the all teams in the NRC standard contracts can be used. That covers players stepping up from Shute Shield.

Players coming back from S15 that may take a few years to correct, as new contracts are signed they may need a clause for NRC.

I believe this will take a few years to sort out contractual issues but need to have a two way flow from district clubs to NRC and from S15 back to NRC.
Surely not even the ARU could come up with Southern Districts affiliating with Perth?:)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Has anyone seen whether marquee players, who will not be eligible for the Wallabies, will be allowed to play in the NRC? If they are then it will needlessly block off spots for up-and-comers.

I think if they are contracted by the Force or the Rebs they should be allowed to play 3T. I think they should be used to help develop rugby in WA, and VIC. But I'm also pushing for a set number of local players needing to be selected.

However not the case for the Red's, Tah's, or Brumbies.

I also lean towards the Force and the Rebs leting players return to NSW & QLD if they wish for the 3T. A structure that I have referred to as feeder clubs, however explained well below;

The district clubs will then align themselves with third tier clubs around the country.

Very similar to how major and minor league baseball works in the United States. The minor league teams are independently owned and operated, and sign 2 to 4 year affiliation agreements with major league teams. They can switch affiliation at the end of terms. Also the two teams can be on either side of the country.

I don't see a problem with a Sydney club affiliating with a Perth or Melbourne team. Still a pathway for development for young players.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I think some of you are factoring in too much the decisions of the clubs and not the players. In the end, as much as theres colloquial support for club rugby etc and theres the commitment that it wont be surpassed, I don't think it will be as big as you are all making it out to seem. The idea with 3t in the end after all is to put another level between local footy and provincial.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But that's Tier 1 not Tier 3.
No its Tier 1 to tier 2 - i.e. a 1 tier step.
My point: if the clubs are going to be disregarded then they are entitled to pursue their own interests at all costs - including forming alliances with 3rd tier teams with which they have no geographic, historic or logical connection.
This is the corrupting force of half baking a semi professional cake.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My point: if the clubs are going to be disregarded then they are entitled to pursue their own interests at all costs - including forming alliances with 3rd tier teams with which they have no geographic, historic or logical connection.

Without going into the ins and outs, rights and wrongs, of this particular issue (which I find as interesting as the medieval debate about the number of angels who can dance on a pin's head) I would simply point out that ALL stakeholders of the game need to get into their little skulls that our game is in a precarious position, and we need to work together for the sake of the future of the code that we all love.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Without going into the ins and outs, rights and wrongs, of this particular issue (which I find as interesting as the medieval debate about the number of angels who can dance on a pin's head) I would simply point out that ALL stakeholders of the game need to get into their little skulls that our game is in a precarious position, and we need to work together for the sake of the future of the code that we all love.

Here's a baby and here's some bathwater.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm hoping that the clubs aren't going to be disregarded and that they'll be involved as part of a logical structure.

The Storm and their Brisbane feeder is a slightly different arrangement as both entities play their competitions at the same time. The Brisbane feeder is essentially the Storm's reserve grade side from where players are called if needed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm hoping that the clubs aren't going to be disregarded and that they'll be involved as part of a logical structure.

I note you chose "hoping" and not "thinking" or "believing".
A number of posters want this to proceed irrespective of its impact on clubs - that's the thinking I'm addressing - we have to fiddle with the foundations, without knowing what impact it will have above - because we are in a precarious position. Nothing could be more calculated to bring the whole thing down.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I note you chose "hoping" and not "thinking" or "believing".
A number of posters want this to proceed irrespective of its impact on clubs - that's the thinking I'm addressing - we have to fiddle with the foundations, without knowing what impact it will have above - because we are in a precarious position. Nothing could be more calculated to bring the whole thing down.
Having dealt with and observed the ARU and NSWRU in action over the years, hoping is as far as I can get at the moment. When I see what is actually to be implemented this might change. Thus far they do seem to have gone about it in way which involves the grass roots more than the ARC did. I would have preferred 2015 rather than 2014 for a start date. I gather that the agreement with Foxtel is for a 2014 start, so I'd assume that it's been all hands to the wheel at ARU HQ over the Christmas break;).

I totally agree that a badly implemented 3T is worse than no 3T at all (refer ARC).

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
It is obvious that the ARU are not going to distribute the tender documentation until the EOI deadline has expired this week (13th I think). This is so that the details are not leaked which may discourage any potential tenders from formally registering.
When these arrive it may well change the landscape significantly. Clubs or other organisations may seek to collaborate of JV so that they can best meet the criteria. It also may lay bare the commercial reality for a number if bodies.
It would be prudent for clubs to consider engaging professional, independent consultants to assist with the preparation of tender documents so that it reduces the likelihood of making heart not head decisions which expose the member's assets accumulated over many years to unreasonable risk.
There are enough national leagues in enough sports based on a variety of participation models to be able to garner information on prospects and risks of the competition.
In fact I would hope that the ARU tender documentation actually contains a prospectus which addresses the commercial environment for such a competition.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There's been nothing from the ARU on that.

Any movement in Adelaide or news on the Black Falcons EOI for 3T?
http://www.sarugby.com.au/news/2448/

I've seen no more than that. As a person who spends countless hours listening to acquaintances talk about two sports only (AFL and the English Premier League) I am acutely aware how little local interest there is in rugby. I have earlier on these pages suggested that the Black Falcons are no chance to get a spot and that the extra cost would put the whole comp at risk. I see a team from Adelaide being able to start up once the comp is established (a bit like the WSW in the A-league) but that has to be a few years down the track.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've seen no more than that. As a person who spends countless hours listening to acquaintances talk about two sports only (AFL and the English Premier League) I am acutely aware how little local interest there is in rugby. I have earlier on these pages suggested that the Black Falcons are no chance to get a spot and that the extra cost would put the whole comp at risk. I see a team from Adelaide being able to start up once the comp is established (a bit like the WSW in the A-league) but that has to be a few years down the track.

Western Sydney already had a massive football following though.........

Personally, I think Adelaide is a very, very long way down the track...........

I would probably see extra teams from NSW, QLD and even Canberra added before they could get a look in.........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's because rugby league is non existent in Melbourne, and there isn't a viable club competition operating for the Storm to have a local feeder club....

Umm - just like Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide in rugby - viable in terms of producing more than the occasional s 15 quality player.
This is so that the details are not leaked which may discourage any potential tenders from formally registering.
When these arrive it may well change the landscape significantly.

Sorry? You dont want anyone to know the detail because the detail may mean its not a good idea to express interest or tender?

I would have preferred 2015 rather than 2014 for a start date. I gather that the agreement with Foxtel is for a 2014 start,

But the broadcast deal was just about the last thing added so it did not have to be 2014.
I suspect that Foxtel didn't give a rats in 2015 because presumably its an early finishing season - with early TRC to accomodate RWC: will there be any room for 3rd tier coverage in 2015?
Probably the unacceptably short lead time is a legacy of O'Neill fiddling while the game burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.