• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But the broadcast deal was just about the last thing added so it did not have to be 2014.
I suspect that Foxtel didn't give a rats in 2015 because presumably its an early finishing season - with early TRC to accomodate RWC: will there be any room for 3rd tier coverage in 2015?
Probably the unacceptably short lead time is a legacy of O'Neill fiddling while the game burned.
True, but the broadcast deal is a fact of life now and we have to work with it. I think we have to acknowledge that there will be a 3T competition running in 2014. A huge challenge for the ARU in the time frame, but I think it's the reality.

As I see it, it can't fail this time. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, "to fail once may be regarded as a misfortune, to fail twice looks like carelessness":)

There would still be room for 3T coverage on Fox in 2015. You can watch curling, hurling, winter biathlon, US College sports, basketball, netball, hockey and more sports than you or I could name on pay tv. I really don't think they care what is on as long as something remotely interesting is on the screen.:)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
True, but the broadcast deal is a fact of life now and we have to work with it. I think we have to acknowledge that there will be a 3T competition running in 2014. A huge challenge for the ARU in the time frame, but I think it's the reality.

As I see it, it can't fail this time. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, "to fail once may be regarded as a misfortune, to fail twice looks like carelessness":)

There would still be room for 3T coverage on Fox in 2015. You can watch curling, hurling, winter biathlon, US College sports, basketball, netball, hockey and more sports than you or I could name on pay tv. I really don't think they care what is on as long as something remotely interesting is on the screen.:)
True,but I don't think they are paying a million bucks for the privilege of telecasting these sports in Oz.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
True,but I don't think they are paying a million bucks for the privilege of telecasting these sports in Oz.
True, but and arm of Fox would be paying bucks to televise them somewhere and fox just show them all around the world to fill up 24/7 tv. The point being that regardless of RWC 2015, they'll still find time to telecast 3T.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah,I get that.
It was more questioning whether Foxtel have the desire to spend a million on this comp next year,when they will have their fill of a rugby with RWC.
Hopefully they have signed a multiple year deal ?

2 years I think someone said.
We also dont want the spectacle of no live coverage - such as Ch 7 (?) had with the FTA of s 15 a few years ago.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
2 years I think someone said.
We also dont want the spectacle of no live coverage - such as Ch 7 (?) had with the FTA of s 15 a few years ago.
You'd like to think live coverage would be part of the agreement. I'd imagine the Thursday evening matches would be a request from Fox to get a preview show, live match and then 1 hour rugby show for about 3-4 hours of content on a night where there is no live sport.

I recall that a 2 year agreement has been mentioned previously. From what I can see, Fox has a good record of showing live sport and giving plenty of coverage to the sports they televise.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
You'd like to think live coverage would be part of the agreement. I'd imagine the Thursday evening matches would be a request from Fox to get a preview show, live match and then 1 hour rugby show for about 3-4 hours of content on a night where there is no live sport.

I recall that a 2 year agreement has been mentioned previously. From what I can see, Fox has a good record of showing live sport and giving plenty of coverage to the sports they televise.

As I've suggested previously, I believe Fox's involvement is more about protecting their exclusive S15 coverage rather than any great desire to show one NRC game per week. My understanding is that their S15 agreement expires in a year or two and they are concerned about the free to air channels gaining access. Let's face it, Fox has had exclusive access to S15, Rugby Championship games not involving Australia, 6 nations and other internationals for several years and if that hasn't induced rugby followers to sign up for pay TV I doubt the NRC is going to have much impact. So this is not about attracting more viewers, its about protecting their existing market share IMO and by helping out the ARU they might discourage them from offering S15 access to free to air.
Or maybe I'm just a cynic ;)

T

Tigers Tale

Am I right in saying that today is the closing date for expression of interest for the NRC?

My understanding was as follows:

Expressions of interest are being sought from existing clubs or amalgamations of teams wanting to compete in the NRC, with a closing date of January 13, followed by a tendering process. The successful teams will be announced by the end of February.

Does anyone know for certain who has/hasn't submitted an EOI.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Am I right in saying that today is the closing date for expression of interest for the NRC?

My understanding was as follows:

Expressions of interest are being sought from existing clubs or amalgamations of teams wanting to compete in the NRC, with a closing date of January 13, followed by a tendering process. The successful teams will be announced by the end of February.

Does anyone know for certain who has/hasn't submitted an EOI.

The ARU website states:
Applications will close on Friday 13 January 2014, which will be followed by a formal tendering process, with successful teams expected to be announced in February 2014.

Hmmm....does the ARU have a different calendar to the rest of us or is it just another case of them not knowing what day it is?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ARU website states:
Applications will close on Friday 13 January 2014, which will be followed by a formal tendering process, with successful teams expected to be announced in February 2014.

Hmmm..does the ARU have a different calendar to the rest of us or is it just another case of them not knowing what day it is?

Does this mean I can celebrate my birthday tomorrow and then the ARU will be holding a second celebration for me on Saturday?

Awesome! I like this alternative ARU calendar.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh, yes. After your EOI & address to the offical tender documents you have to be financially viable & have an existing supporter base.

Status
Not open for further replies.