• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Except that none of those posts say that SS clubs will be putting money into joint ventures.

I know what the critieria say and what they imply - but no-one has said SS clubs would be contributing financially to JVs. Most of them are broke or breaking even, how could they?

so where is the money to run the JVs coming from?
Presumably there is some "undertaking" at the end of the submission/tender that the signatories have belief in the detail of their submission.
The more I read on here about this and the more i think about it the more I think that this is a political fix - it cannot be done properly in the time available but the ARU cannot be seen to be doing nothing.
I blame JON - instead of sitting in his counting house immediately after the last RWC planning for this should have started. The reason it looks so half baked is that if it doesn't happen this year it could not start before 2016.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Except that none of those posts say that SS clubs will be putting money into joint ventures.

I know what the critieria say and what they imply - but no-one has said SS clubs would be contributing financially to JVs. Most of them are broke or breaking even, how could they?
Sorry,you're incorrect , those posts,& many others, DO speculate on clubs making a financial contribution to the T3 competition, which is the point of my post above.
You apparently agree with me then ,that clubs can't afford to do this.
And what is your interpretation of the implications contained within the ARU criteria other than the most obvious one.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Does anyone know how many teams have officially lodged EOI's?? And who the teams are?
The expressions of interest mean nothing.
You could lodge one in your own name.
Another with your punters club mates or whatever,and another on behalf of your local Rugby club.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Does anyone know how many teams have officially lodged EOI's?? And who the teams are?

According to an article on the last page from the Canberra Times - 35 but who know's how accurate that is, whether as mentioned they're are both stand alone and JV bids from clubs etc.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sorry,you're incorrect , those posts,& many others, DO speculate on clubs making a financial contribution to the T3 competition, which is the point of my post above.
You apparently agree with me then ,that clubs can't afford to do this.
And what is your interpretation of the implications contained within the ARU criteria other than the most obvious one.
I think this is where we agree to disagree and move on:).

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
EOIs and RFIs etc are just an opportunity for anyone to throw their hats in the ring. That then enables the decision makers to take the ideas with the most appeal and run with those.
I think the ARU should be given credit - they have opened up the opportunity for everyone.
My guess is they will then go through each EOI and firm up their own thoughts as to what the selection criteria should be.
I bet they then try to include as many factions as possible (read tap certain groups on the shoulder and try to get them to unite) and finalise a way forward.
They will then refine that yearly. Mr Pulver has already said that this would be a 3 year project to get right. Adjustments will be made.
You have to start somewhere.
I reckon they (ARU) should be applauded for actually doing something. Bugger the naysayers.
Continue the debate and try to influence an outcome however lets to get to carried away until the ARU start to finalise things and we then don't support what we see.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
so where is the money to run the JVs coming from?
Presumably there is some "undertaking" at the end of the submission/tender that the signatories have belief in the detail of their submission.
The more I read on here about this and the more i think about it the more I think that this is a political fix - it cannot be done properly in the time available but the ARU cannot be seen to be doing nothing.
I blame JON - instead of sitting in his counting house immediately after the last RWC planning for this should have started. The reason it looks so half baked is that if it doesn't happen this year it could not start before 2016.
Other than money coming from Fox, I haven't heard where any money is coming from. The Pulveriser says a $5 mil loss is acceptable in the 1st year, so presumably the ARU will either have to fund or guarantee the costs. We've also been told that the ARU isn't in great financial health.

The EOI process may reveal some source of money to run the thing. Sydney Uni and possibly Manly would have money in the bank to run a team, but there's no appetite from Manly to run a team, even if they could.

Someone's earlier idea about a single sponsor who sponsors all the teams could be an answer.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
EOIs and RFIs etc are just an opportunity for anyone to throw their hats in the ring. That then enables the decision makers to take the ideas with the most appeal and run with those.
I think the ARU should be given credit - they have opened up the opportunity for everyone.
My guess is they will then go through each EOI and firm up their own thoughts as to what the selection criteria should be.
I bet they then try to include as many factions as possible (read tap certain groups on the shoulder and try to get them to unite) and finalise a way forward.
They will then refine that yearly. Mr Pulver has already said that this would be a 3 year project to get right. Adjustments will be made.
You have to start somewhere.
I reckon they (ARU) should be applauded for actually doing something. Bugger the naysayers.
Continue the debate and try to influence an outcome however lets to get to carried away until the ARU start to finalise things and we then don't support what we see.
I think you are right. The cut off date for EOIs is mid Jan? We may know more after that.

Ricky

Frank Row (1)
Okay, does anyone know of clubs/JV's have publibally announced an EOI or bid

I know of:
-Sydney uni
-Randwick
-North sydney JV (manly,warringah,gordon,norths)
-West sydney JV (west harbour,southern districts,parramatta,penrith (correct me if im wrong with those clubs))
-South australian rugby
-i think newcastle & hunter??
-tuggeranong vikings stand alone bid??
-brumbies stand alone bid??
And victorian,perth and act sides are obvious

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In terms of available money, I recall some months ago that the Pulveriser announced $60,000 for SS clubs on the condition that they returned to shamateurism. I think the clubs rebuffed the idea. However, if the money was still there, that's $240,000 to go to the Manly, Warringah, Norths and Gordon JV (based on $60,000 x 4).

Could not this money be used to encourage SS clubs into 3T JVs instead of the shamateurism idea? It would appear to be enough for groups of 4 clubs to fund a JV.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So who has completed the EOI for WA, VIC and ACT?

The relevant super club, state union body or is a separate entity being created for each of these teams?

It would be mind blowing if say all of the WA clubs got together and put in an EOI independent of the Force. I have no knowledge of the Perth club scene so I have no idea if this would be feasible in regards to depth, but if they all got together they may be able to bank roll it. Surely that would actually achieve more in unearthing talent than all of the Force's B players running around.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

The relevant super club, state union body or is a separate entity being created for each of these teams?

It would be mind blowing if say all of the WA clubs got together and put in an EOI independent of the Force. I have no knowledge of the Perth club scene so I have no idea if this would be feasible in regards to depth, but if they all got together they may be able to bank roll it. Surely that would actually achieve more in unearthing talent than all of the Force's B players running around.
Won't happen they all hate each other and no one has any money the Force would cut them off if they did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The EOI process may reveal some source of money to run the thing. Sydney Uni and possibly Manly would have money in the bank to run a team, but there's no appetite from Manly to run a team, even if they could.

Done That might have some info on Manly - it wasnt lack of appetite is my understanding it was the GROSS uncertainty that stayed their hand

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Done That might have some info on Manly - it wasnt lack of appetite is my understanding it was the GROSS uncertainty that stayed their hand
I was relying on what the board told the members.

At first glance, standing alone sounds quite appealing, but I'm not sure that alienating 75% of potential members, supporters and sponsors is the way to go.

There is certainly plenty of uncertainty though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

IN the ACT, I understand that the Brumbies and Vikings each put in a separate EOI. There's been nothing on this thread or in the press about Perth and Melbourne. The Adelaide Black Falcons are up and running, but I'm not sure if an EOI went in.

If some state unions are going authoritarian, all that does is stifle innovation and new ideas and entrench the power of the same old blazer wearers.

T

Tigers Tale

The more I think about the NRC - I ask this question why is the responsibility for creating this semi-professional comp is being put in the hands (with respect) of the well intentioned "ametuers"at club land?

Why aren't the 5 professional franchises driving it as they are the ones who will benefit most from this tournament. The franchises also have the structures established to run these teams professionally and most of the players participating are contracted to these franchises. The additional players required would be those that the franchises have identified as the next breed that they could trial in a competitive environment (games & training).

An eight team comp with one team in Melb & Perth and two in Bne, Syd & Canb. Could be run over 9 weeks - play everyone once, then 1v4 and 2v3 play first week of finals and then the winners play the GF the following week.

The two Qld teams could be the Red Healers and the Koalas. The local derby between the Healers and the Koalas would be a promoters dream!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was relying on what the board told the members.

At first glance, standing alone sounds quite appealing, but I'm not sure that alienating 75% of potential members, supporters and sponsors is the way to go.

There is certainly plenty of uncertainty though.

I'd only correct you by saying that there is the chance of alienating 100% of the categories you mention plus players plus other SS clubs who wanted you to partner up.
Personally, I think Manly were very, very wise: they probably could have gone alone and some no doubt wanted to but cooler heads (and egos!) prevailed. Some could learn from that, on what I hear.
But that is an outsider's view.

T

Tigers Tale

Here's another thought - that the two Brisbane sides not be selected along the lines of North and South but by an IPL type auction. In fact maybe that's how all of the sides should be selected let's put the best 300 non-Wallaby players in the country in a pile and let 8 teams spread across the nation select in an auction like process to fill a squad of 30 payers each. If injury impacts on a side then they can call on the 60 left overs.

It seems to work in the Big Bash League where players from outside the state play for the respective capital city teams.

In fact it makes it interesting to see Qld Bulls play for teams other than the Brisbane Heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.