• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I can see one glaring problem with Thursday nights. Most rugby fans are rugby players - or involved in some way. Most clubs train on a Thursday night. Bums on seats and people watching the tele could be problematic.

Just thought someone should look at what actually happens in Clubland.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I can see one glaring problem with Thursday nights. Most rugby fans are rugby players - or involved in some way. Most clubs train on a Thursday night. Bums on seats and people watching the tele could be problematic.

Just thought someone should look at what actually happens in Clubland.

The club competitions are scheduled to be completed before the NRC kicks off. Does that still interfere with training?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thursday night may provide for 'training' to start early in clubland?

I have not heard much from what the movements have been in QLD. I am guessing, hoping, that the QRU want to keep control of the teams from Queensland from a management perspective so that franchises/clubs don't go belly up do to poor management.

One thing I have heard, that I hope to god is not true, it that there is only going to be one team from QLD.

The other thing that is interesting is that there are rumours floating around that prem players have already been signed to 'Brumbies 2nd division'. As I said rumours.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bottom line is, if Foxtel want the matches played on Thursday nights, that's when they'll be played.

Worrying pieces of information from Qld that the QRU is going into authoritarian, central control mode. NSWRU tried that in the ARC and it failed dismally. Rugrat mentioned in a previous post that any club who applied to join the NRC would be thrown out of the Premier competition.

As someone said previously, this competition shouldn't only be a proving ground for players, but also coaches and I'd add administrators and support staff to that. Give people experience running a franchise at 3T level, coaching at that level etc and let them prove themselves. Let's face it, neither the NSWRU or the QRU could be described as world's best practice in sports administration.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Where are you guys getting this information about the QRU from? I have searched high and low and have not heard, read or seen anything like it.

Is it just scuttlebutt at this stage, or do you guys have actual inside knowledge?

I would hope that the QRU don't go all totalitarian, and instead use their resources to share them with their teams to ensure their success (which will be ultimately mutually beneficial). Recent history would seem to indicate that the management of QRU is a different animal to what it has been even 5 years ago, so I am willing to wait until someone in authority actually says something concrete before I start slating them for something they haven't done yet.

Is it possible that the QLD teams and QRU are actually united in making this work and are discussing the means to make this a success before registering a formal interest or making a public statement?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
What concerns me is that the NRC is scheduled to start a week after the Club Season Grand Finals. Will we find players selected for the NRC foxing a hammy twinge to make themselves available for the higher level (and assume higher paying) team?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Where are you guys getting this information about the QRU from? I have searched high and low and have not heard, read or seen anything like it.

Is it just scuttlebutt at this stage, or do you guys have actual inside knowledge?

I would hope that the QRU don't go all totalitarian, and instead use their resources to share them with their teams to ensure their success (which will be ultimately mutually beneficial). Recent history would seem to indicate that the management of QRU is a different animal to what it has been even 5 years ago, so I am willing to wait until someone in authority actually says something concrete before I start slating them for something they haven't done yet.

Is it possible that the QLD teams and QRU are actually united in making this work and are discussing the means to make this a success before registering a formal interest or making a public statement?

As I said - rumours. But.............. sometimes there is a little truth in the rumours. I hadn't heard anything so went asking a few questions.

And I hope that you are right the last statement.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hope so, Brisbane clubs and rugby community need to be behind this as much as Sydney clubs and rugby community do. Governing bodies in either state don't have a great record working with the grass roots.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Bottom line is, if Foxtel want the matches played on Thursday nights, that's when they'll be played.

Worrying pieces of information from Qld that the QRU is going into authoritarian, central control mode. NSWRU tried that in the ARC and it failed dismally. Rugrat mentioned in a previous post that any club who applied to join the NRC would be thrown out of the Premier competition.

As someone said previously, this competition shouldn't only be a proving ground for players, but also coaches and I'd add administrators and support staff to that. Give people experience running a franchise at 3T level, coaching at that level etc and let them prove themselves. Let's face it, neither the NSWRU or the QRU could be described as world's best practice in sports administration.

Not quite. When the ARC was formed and the teams determined, it was ARU who insisted on the central control model. And it was only the Rays and Fleet that didn't work, from memory the clubs that fed into the Fleet were nicknamed the 'coalition of the unwilling', but the Rams most certainly worked. All 4 clubs worked hard that it was a success. And it was, they won the minor Premiership.

But as mentioned, NSWRU didn't push for the central control, it came from ARU.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
but the Rams most certainly worked. All 4 clubs worked hard that it was a success. And it was, they won the minor Premiership.
Most probably one of the reasons all 4 clubs got behind it was that they played their matches at Parramatta.

Northern Sydney at Gosford and Southern Sydney at North Sydney and the fourth team to Melboure were determined by NSWRU if I remember correctly. I can tell you that many rugby people in the north felt dudded, we all expected a Northern Sydney team to play in northern Sydney. If the Rams had played their home games at Lithgow, I suspect few people or clubs in western Sydney would have supported them either.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Collingwood one is fake.

How do I know?

1. Eddie's name is spelled wrongly.
2. The contact info is pulled straight off the website.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Collingwood one is fake.

How do I know?

1. Eddie's name is spelled wrongly.
2. The contact info is pulled straight off the website.

You'd have thought that the journo would have checked with Collingwood before publishing. Maybe they don't do that anymore.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
a2agunyn.jpg

Found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.