• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
^"what The Lord giveth..."?

NB: Posted in response to BR. Guess kenny powers is back on the juice, too quick for me

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think to be honest you have to say that Foxtel's involvement in the third tier is charity born out of sympathy for the ARU's balance sheet.

It's one live game a week, just one yes just one despite all the channels they have at their disposal. Based on that it has little or no strategic or marketing value for Foxtel.

If you are going to use 20 20 Big Bash as a type of benchmark, what Cricket Australia did that was very smart when they sold their TV rights they insisted that it be shown on free to air TV along with the Ryobi Cup. Grass roots impact????

One live game a week on Foxtel will keep the 3rd tier a niche sport and reinforce the rugby sterotype and will not grow the grass roots. Have to get it on free to air even if is a Gem or Mate Channel in addition to Foxtel.

Why not a Wednesday evening game like the old Panasonic Cup League had, find a void in the TV schedule and try to fill it.

The sole reason there will be a 3rd tier is that it is being sponsored and shown on Fox. FTA has no interest judging on their history. If left to them, there probably wouldn't even be an Aus presence in the Super comp. FTA sucks. Those who want rugby to survive and hopefully prosper, should get a Fox subscription.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you want proof the nrl don't care about crowds only ratings, just look at a any Monday night crowd, or the fact the Olympic stadium gets most games when the crowds they get there would look good at any other venue. That being said, the fields they use have to be broadcast friendly. Watched a semi last year at manly oval and the abc set up their tower right in front of the paying customers. That could be budgetary, hopefully if manly oval does get games fox is there with strategically placed cameras and stedicams on segways. We'll see.

I think it's more to do with the fact they get more coin out of Homebush.........

Nothing to do with ratings..........

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Don't most household already have Foxtel.

Not sure when the AFL, and NRL season finishes, it is thought the 3T will be played after these comps so competition will be limited.

I'm hoping the majority of games are played in the afternoon, so the family can go much like they do with the Shute Shield, that results in 2 + kids going and enjoying the day - not just dad going in the evening. To make it more of a day we need more than just one game, maybe it's
- Under 21's 3T (preferred).
- Maybe its some 7's games, from within the JV's.
- Maybe its some 10's games, from within the JV's.
I'd like to see part of the criteria being establishing a pathway via having an U21's team in the comp.

Gates, mean BBQ's, Drinks, Sponsor exposure, and to get the gates it would be beneficial to have more than one game.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
You're right, they get the games because they have the $. But the nrl and fox couldnt care less about bums on seats (unless it is too few, then they doctor the numbers). Even thought their seasons don't coincide the nrl has dropped the ball to the A-League, by teams playing there instead of their suburban homes, casual sports fans who just want to scream and go wild will go to the soccer and leave the leaguie tragics bumbling around a cavernous stadium eating hot dogs out of a thermos miles from home.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
The ARU already have sealed the finances at the top they have the FOX money signed up. The Force, Rebels, Brumbies and Sydney Uni have a low/no risk position as they already have teams and staff in place at this level.

The rest will need the gate to make it work, I agree with Dave they will have to make it a much bigger experience than just one game.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Don't most household already have Foxtel.
Foxtel household penetration is in the 30% to 35% area.

If they want the ARC to grow they have to get some games on free to air, maybe not this year but future years just as Cricket Australia has done with the Big Bash over the last couple of years. Even the A League has evolved from exclusive to pay TV to some games on free to air tv.

AFL and NRL are governed by the anti siphoning law, but even if this wasn't in place I suspect they would still want some games shown free to air. They are not going to thumb their noses at approx 70% of households.

Also it shouldn't be forgotten Foxtel is effectively a monopoly in Australia just ask Kerry Stokes.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You do know that the big bash was exclusively on fox for the first 2 years To see how it went and then it was sold to Ten whos to say the same won't happen with the NRC.

A lot of ppl here over complicating the issues in this thread and making a lot out of nothing dare i say most of those have their own agendas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The ARU already have sealed the finances at the top they have the FOX money signed up. The Force, Rebels, Brumbies and Sydney Uni have a low/no risk position as they already have teams and staff in place at this level.

The rest will need the gate to make it work, I agree with Dave they will have to make it a much bigger experience than just one game.

Must be a bigger experience than just one game!!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Remember this is slated for Thursday nights, not on weekends. One game will be fine. Fox want prime-time live sport, probably with a half hour lead-in, followed by a one hour panel show. All up it gets them 3-4 hours of content.

Fox don't care about the gate and I reckon the crowds in the first year may well be smaller than the clubs and G&GR posters would like. We have to think long term not year 1 or even year 2 IMO.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You do know that the big bash was exclusively on fox for the first 2 years To see how it went and then it was sold to Ten whos to say the same won't happen with the NRC.

A lot of ppl here over complicating the issues in this thread and making a lot out of nothing dare i say most of those have their own agendas.

Yes, we now have people coming up with the most ridiculous reasons why it won't work.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
[quo te="Quick Hands, post: 561673, member: 8942"]Yes, we now have people coming up with the most ridiculous reasons why it won't work.[/quote]

Next we will have "but what about player a's grandmother she will want to see her grandson play but how will she be able to do this is he plays in Perth that's why this comp won't work......."

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
QH, I agree. For the first 5-10 years the viability will be determined by TV audiences, not crowds.

TWS - true, but the survival of the new teams will require gate and sponsorship. Unlike the 3T teams in VIC, WA and to a lessor extent the ACT, they want have the financial support of that the ARU which will no doubt be filtered through the Force, Rebs, and Brumbies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not so sure that these teams are going to be that expensive to run.
Take the Northern team as an example.
Travel costs and accommodation are on Uncle Bill's Amex card,so no cost there.
I would imagine 1/2 of their players will be Super players who will cost nothing.
Do you think Ale,Hingano and Hartmann would refuse to play unless they receive exorbitant payments?
If Phil Blake demands a fortune,I'm sure Kava would jump at the opportunity etc etc.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out,but I am bullish about it's sustainability in the long term.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Travel costs and accommodation is on Uncle Bill's Amex card,so no cost there.
I would imagine 1/2 of their players will be Super players who will cost nothing.
Do you think Ale,Hingano and Hartmann would refuse to play unless they receive exorbitant payments?
If Phil Blake demands a fortune,I'm sure Kava would jump at the opportunity etc etc.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out,but I am bullish about it's sustainability in the long term.
And each team will only have 3 or 4 home games in an 8 team comp and 4 or 5 home games in a 10 team comp. At grounds like Brookvale, Parra Stadium, Kogarah, North Sydney Oval, there's no barbeque or bar to make money, all those grounds have a licenced caterer who provides food and drink. The only money making opportunity is merchandise sales. If they try to charge too much at the gate, people won't go, so I'd forget trying to make money at the turnstile.

I think many if not all of the costs will be underwritten by the ARU and Fox, at least for the first few years.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Travel costs and accommodation are on Uncle Bill's Amex card,so no cost there.
The point I was looking to make,
(On the park) there is a huge comparison to a start up joint venture and a professional team that has been playing since Feb.
(Off the park) A professional board, medical staff, professional coaching, and general infrastructure all on a super payroll that will know doubt flow onto the respective WA, VIC, ACT team. JV venture hasn't the ARU sought a financial contribution at the outset, then there is the development and infrastructure that I think has to be self funded by the JV. That costs coin!!!!! and through the Force, Rebs, and to a lessor extent the Brums funding may flow down from the ARU.

I agree with you with regards to players and coaches, as that is simply wanting to get selected for the next level.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And each team will only have 3 or 4 home games in an 8 team comp and 4 or 5 home games in a 10 team comp. At grounds like Brookvale, Parra Stadium, Kogarah, North Sydney Oval, there's no barbeque or bar to make money, all those grounds have a licenced caterer who provides food and drink. The only money making opportunity is merchandise sales. If they try to charge too much at the gate, people won't go, so I'd forget trying to make money at the turnstile.

I think many if not all of the costs will be underwritten by the ARU and Fox, at least for the first few years.

I had thought that some sort of financial return would have gone back down to the entity that was creating revenue through catering - but do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.