• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Bruce,

I understand that the 3T team keeps the gate and ARU pays travel and accommodation and keeps the TV rights $.

But to make it work at the 3T level I assume they will have to pay the players, coaches and staff and this I think will come out at something like $70k/game for both teams. Each game is going to have to take something like $100k at the gate, food and bev. and sponsorships.

To make that work your going to need about 5000 bums on seats a game at $20 entry on average (maybe $25 for adults and $10 for children).

If I were on the assessing committee and you couldn't convince me you could do this I'd be very worried about how it will all end. Plus I can't see Foxtel being happy with a smaller crowd

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks for that ILtW. If that is the case it will substantially reduce the costs and hence the number of bums on seats.

However if I were a S15 player on $50k/yr I would be mighty unhappy about that idea (very generous of me to work for nothing). Another $10k when you are on $50k would be a big help.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
3 teams and theres no place for uni, an emphasis initially must be placed on allowing for the broadening of the scope of rugby and at the same time developing a player base.

secondly, the northern sydney jv would isolate anyone not from the insular peninsula by playing at brookie, as good a stadium as it might be, I think it limits the supporter base, particularly when you factor in the lack of zealotry in rugby union support bases.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
secondly, the northern sydney jv would isolate anyone not from the insular peninsula by playing at brookie, as good a stadium as it might be, I think it limits the supporter base, particularly when you factor in the lack of zealotry in rugby union support bases.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Do you know of any other rectangular ground in the northern region with appropriate facilities?

EDIT: In any JV people are going to have to travel to get to the venue. You've been arguing for larger entities as opposed to stand alone clubs. No matter where the venue is in the northern region some people will have to travel. If it's at North Sydney, exactly the same applies to Warringah supporters. We have to move beyond the narrow parochialism and look at the big picture. The best rectangular ground in the region is at Brookvale, the only other comparable one is at Narrabeen. That's just the reality of it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not really,if you look at the starting side of the semi this year.
3 piggies & 3 backs are juniors(including Neville who never played Colts)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not really,if you look at the starting side of the semi this year.
3 piggies & 3 backs are juniors(including Neville who never played Colts)
My perception watching them play this year is that it was more than that, but I don't have facts and figures at hand to dispute what you say.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Prop Fairbrother
Hooker Leafa or Eddie A
Lock Gower
Flanker Sigg
8 Jones
Half Lucas
5/8 Milroy
Centre Brian Sef
Winger Woodhouse
K Ale played most of the season at 7
I have assumed none of these were juniors.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Prop Fairbrother
Hooker Leafa or Eddie A
Lock Gower
Flanker Sigg
8 Jones
Half Lucas
5/8 Milroy
Centre Brian Sef
Winger Woodhouse
Eddie A played colts for Manly in 2000 or 2001, Ale came through St Augustine's, played 1 year of Rats colts and then 2nd year at Manly colts and Manly ever since. Sigg and Lucas definitely not.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Do you know of any other rectangular ground in the northern region with appropriate facilities?

EDIT: In any JV people are going to have to travel to get to the venue. You've been arguing for larger entities as opposed to stand alone clubs. No matter where the venue is in the northern region some people will have to travel. If it's at North Sydney, exactly the same applies to Warringah supporters. We have to move beyond the narrow parochialism and look at the big picture. The best rectangular ground in the region is at Brookvale, the only other comparable one is at Narrabeen. That's just the reality of it.
Yep Brookvale is the most ideal option of the north, Dave has outlined why but i cannot see why apart from cricket getting rights not share with the north shore by having some games at nso? I havent seen any statement from the ARU requiring all grounds to be rectangular and if central coast and a league are happy to have a game at the non rectangular north sydney oval this season i cant see why north harbour can't have a couple games there in the nrc. Why not try to gain some support from one of the largest rugby bases in Australia?

Anyway might be getting ahead of ourselves, have not been given a spot in the comp yet!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Eddie A played colts for Manly in 2000 or 2001, Ale came through St Augustine's, played 1 year of Rats colts and then 2nd year at Manly colts and Manly ever since. Sigg and Lucas definitely not.
I included Eddie,as he played his first year in colts with Parra.
Kotoni actually played 2years at Rat Park, and played grade predominantly in his second year with them before moving.
Even if you exclude these two,there still only leaves 6 locals....but anyway moving along...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I included Eddie,as he played his first year in colts with Parra.
Kotoni actually played 2years at Rat Park, and played grade predominantly in his second year with them before moving.
Even if you exclude these two,there still only leaves 6 locals..but anyway moving along.

Unfortunately Ale didn't run out in the finals.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No he didn't unfortunately.
I was just making the point that in addition to the 9 odd players in the semis,your best and fairest for the season was not home grown either.
But I think we should be discussing this in another thread.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep Brookvale is the most ideal option of the north, Dave has outlined why but i cannot see why apart from cricket getting rights not share with the north shore by having some games at nso? I havent seen any statement from the ARU requiring all grounds to be rectangular and if central coast and a league are happy to have a game at the non rectangular north sydney oval this season i cant see why north harbour can't have a couple games there in the nrc. Why not try to gain some support from one of the largest rugby bases in Australia?

Anyway might be getting ahead of ourselves, have not been given a spot in the comp yet!
Central Coast A league are having trouble making money at Gosford and this was a bit of a novelty. Having watched a fair few games of league and union at NSO over the years, it's a pretty ordinary place to watch matches played on a rectangular field. Not only is the ground circular, but the stands are at all sorts of different angles to the field, might be ok for the corporates who don't really watch the matches. I would imagine that parking would also be an issue in North Sydney on Thursday evenings. Another advantage of Brookvale, is that being a commercial/industrial type area there is plenty of free on-street parking even when the Sea Eagles get 18,000 on a Friday night, you can still park and walk to the ground. We won't be getting anywhere near 18,000 to NRC matches. I'd reckon they'd be happy with 3,000 and hoping for 5,000 in the first year.

If you wanted to move a game to cater for people not living on the peninsula then Chatswood provides a better view of the game - at least a couple of the stands are parallel to the touch line, but it's so dilapidated I can't see that happening. (Willoughby Council's fault not Gordon's)

I can't see how having more than one home ground is going to be a goer though. It's probably an indictment on how few decent sporting facilities that we have in northern Sydney though. And let's face it, in junior village club rugby players and parents drive all over the north shore and beyond every weekend. Chatswood to Brookvale isn't really that far is it? Half an hour maximum to get there at 6.30pm and probably 20 to get back. (My in-laws live at Willoughby, I've made this trip so often, my car knows the way);)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Only problem with Brookie is I can't imagine those around Mosman wanting to tackle Spit bridge in peak hour if it was played on a Thursday, Friday night. Hopefully their helicopters aren't in service for those nights.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Only problem with Brookie is I can't imagine those around Mosman wanting to tackle Spit bridge in peak hour if it was played on a Thursday, Friday night. Hopefully their helicopters aren't in service for those nights.
In the afternoon peak Mosman to Brookvale easy. The Spit Bridge is 3 lanes heading north, the traffic flows well. 20 mins Spit Junct to Brookvale max at that time on Thursday night. Whether Mosmanites would want to park in the bleak streets of Brookvale and go to a league ground is another matter.:)

Compared to other Sydney JVs, the northern region would probably be the smallest geographically. The only people who would take longer than 30 mins to get to Brookvale on a Thursday evening would possibly be Gordon people living up Wahroonga way, but it would take them 30 mins plus to get to North Sydney as well.

If people actually sit down logically and think about it, getting to a ground in 30 mins or less in a city the size of Sydney is a pretty good deal.

If the thing gets of the ground, I'll be going to some of the away games as well. I wonder if the people who think that Brookvale is too far will be driving across the Harbour Bridge or shock, horror into the west to watch their team play? If they do, Brookvale will seem like it's around the corner.

T

turnovertwopasses

L
Prop Fairbrother
Hooker Leafa or Eddie A
Lock Gower
Flanker Sigg
8 Jones
Half Lucas
5/8 Milroy
Centre Brian Sef
Winger Woodhouse
Luring Gower away from Gordon was a cruel blow

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
In the Illawarra Mercury today (that great bastion of quality journalism) they mentioned that the Illawarra Hawks basketball team averaged 2500 spectator to game over the last 9 years. They charge $25/ adult. I don't think they make any money.

They are in an 8 team comp. travel all over (New Zealand, Cairns etc), have to pay for WIN entertainment centre (not that basketball can be called entertainment) and have survived 9 years.

This at least gives us some sort of commercial reference point, maybe the break even point.

Status
Not open for further replies.