• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

turnovertwopasses

Another Uni mercenary implementing the "attack is the best form of defence" attitude...

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Best rectangular ground in the northern region and about to get a major upgrade $10 mil from Federal Gov and $10mil from state.
Yes this is true and I hope that they get games there but I think NSO should get an equal share, you don't want to isolate the north shore like the northern eagles did, I guess these are the type of problems joint ventures are going to have.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes this is true and I hope that they get games there but I think NSO should get an equal share, you don't want to isolate the north shore like the northern eagles did, I guess these are the type of problems joint ventures are going to have.

Yes interesting times, but you have to notice the crowds that the beaches get to games. Brookie is more Neutral than any other ground because no club has it as their home ground.
It also has boxes, and bars that the team can really leverage off with sponsors, and promoters which will make it a real success.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Another Uni mercenary implementing the "attack is the best form of defence" attitude.

Who me?? I hate them but - respect and admire them.

Your posts provide so much thought and wisdom I'm astounded.

I mean Bruce contributes more in one post than what you have brought to the table in your 23 posts.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)

Would love to see NSO get some games too, but they'd have to be during the August/September part of the comp because from October the cricket has the rights to it. Split the Northern teams home games between Brookvale, a very good viewing ground and excellent for TV, and NSO, a classic rugby ground, and they'd be on to a winner.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Thought the same, and hence the reason why NSW maybe 4
Wicks, Beasties, Souths,
Nth Harbour
Uni
Rest

That proposition would be more reasonable if there were 12 spots, if there are 8 spots its definitely not going to happen. (I don't think there will be more than 8 initially). 10 spots they would have to go to figuring out what would be the most commercially viable place from those who bid.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
All interesting, and I don't know much about the structure in QLD but
NSW - 4
QLD - 3
WA
VIC
ACT
Looking forward to it, and it will be interesting to see how it evolves

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
opposed to usyd which blocks out anyone who didn't go to usyd, and takes one of the limited franchise spots with them?

There are 3 franchises allocated for sydney lets say. You include USyd, which region are you going to not give a team? The region with all the juniors, the region rugby's trying to push into desperately or the region which has bred success for the last 20 years?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
I'm a long term and unreformed advocate for 4 teams in Sydney, so your issue doesn't arise.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Would love to see NSO get some games too, but they'd have to be during the August/September part of the comp because from October the cricket has the rights to it. Split the Northern teams home games between Brookvale, a very good viewing ground and excellent for TV, and NSO, a classic rugby ground, and they'd be on to a winner.
If it's anything like Manly Oval, cricket take over in September. Manly lose it on the 1st September so pitches etc can be prepared for cricket. (Grade cricket starts about week 3 of September)

I think that you'll find that rectangular grounds with corporate facilities will be required for these matches. Much better for spectators, look better on TV and also much easier to see what's going on after a couple of bottles of champagne;). (Not that I've ever sampled a corporate box - I'll be watching from the hill :))

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wouldn't bother me splitting the games, but you need a rectangular ground with corporate facilities I'd imagine.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
All interesting, and I don't know much about the structure in QLD but
NSW - 4
QLD - 3
WA
VIC
ACT
Looking forward to it, and it will be interesting to see how it evolves
Queensland have been remarkably quiet about the whole 3T thing. I pretty much agree with your structure, the third team that you and I thought was heading for Qld, may end up on the Gold Coast or in Adelaide. Provided the admin and financials are there is ok, Adelaide might get it.

This leaves it as

Syd Uni
Syd North
Syd West
Syd South
Bris North
Bris South
Canberra
Perth
Melbourne
Gold Coast or Adelaide or ?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Queensland have been remarkably quiet about the whole 3T thing. I pretty much agree with your structure, the third team that you and I thought was heading for Qld, may end up on the Gold Coast or in Adelaide. Provided the admin and financials are there is ok, Adelaide might get it.

This leaves it as

Syd Uni
Syd North
Syd West
Syd South
Bris North
Bris South
Canberra
Perth
Melbourne
Gold Coast or Adelaide or ?
I'd go Gold Coast before Adelaide, Adelaide would need to pull from NSW and QLD at the start I think.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd go Gold Coast before Adelaide, Adelaide would need to pull from NSW and QLD at the start I think.
I tend to agree. The quality of the bids, if indeed GC bid, will probably decide - along with what Foxtel think. We know that the Adelaide Black Falcon bid is up and running, other than the mayor of the GC putting the city forward, we've heard nothing much at all from Qld.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Uni has earned the right to stand alone. And from most regular season results, without the Super players flooding the finals, they won't control the SS like previous years.

The way people are talking about the 3T affecting specific Clubs, sounds like amateur hour. Trying to elevate "district rugby" to this level is wishful thinking and commercially stupid. If it was a goer, SS would be the 3T; it's not.

This is a new level of Rugby. Full stop. Stopping Uni from entering for no other viable, commercial reason other than, "it's not fair" shows why Rugby is up its current creek.

North Shore, Western Sydney, Sydney Uni, Randwick or Burraneer Rugby Club, it doesn't matter. They have to be financially strong enough, have the players and be able to provide a fan base big enough to support the 3T Club.

Whoever can do this should be in 3T. Dreams of player development, and hopes of spreading the gospel of rugby are useless if this does not work. As long as lifelong rugby fans bitch and cry over individual club's right to a fair go, then kiss the whole lot goodbye. By the way, a "Fair Go" would suggest that the Clubs have actually worked hard and had a go. A couple of Clubs have done it, but most have not.

Besides, if triablism is to work, it needs an enemy. That's just one more box the Uni bid would tick:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.