• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I had thought that some sort of financial return would have gone back down to the entity that was creating revenue through catering - but do not know.
Normally the catering firm tender to the council or whoever runs the ground. The catering firm pay for the right to sell exclusively inside the ground and keep all the profits after wages and expenses. This is basically how Rat Park works now, i.e. Warringah don't see a cent of food and drink sales or even gate and car park money.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The point I was looking to make,
(On the park) there is a huge comparison to a start up joint venture and a professional team that has been playing since Feb.
(Off the park) A professional board, medical staff, professional coaching, and general infrastructure all on a super payroll that will know doubt flow onto the respective WA, VIC, ACT team. JV venture hasn't the ARU sought a financial contribution at the outset, then there is the development and infrastructure that I think has to be self funded by the JV. That costs coin!!!!! and through the Force, Rebs, and to a lessor extent the Brums funding may flow down from the ARU.

I agree with you with regards to players and coaches, as that is simply wanting to get selected for the next level.
None of this has been set down as far as I know. We'd need to see what the conditions of submitting a bid for inclusion were. Presumably those conditions would detail who's responsible for what.

There's a fair few well-qualified support staff out there now with SS clubs, many get paid for their work with the clubs already. No doubt some would be willing and able to step up and become involved in the respective JVs.

Provided the ARU sets solid foudations for this right from the start, I think these things will all work out. That really is the great variable - are the ARU going to do it properly or half-arsed?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Like it Bruce.

I do not like his relentless negativity about everything that the ARU says or does. I put a lot more of my faith in the ARU than I do in the rantings of self-centred self-publicists who only care about themselves, not about the game at large.

Bruce and his ilk do not care about the game as a whole, they only care about their little self-centred, privileged, patch.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Bruce and his ilk do not care about the game as a whole, they only care about their little self-centred, privileged, patch.

I beg to differ, I think it comes down to a number of years of questionable decisions, expenditure and coach.

Now with Bill the processes are very different, at the start I was doubtful now I'm interested / starting to like. He's really put the 3t in the hands of the stake holders, and said give me a business plan and we'll build it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Let's not make this personal guys, stay on topic.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Like it Bruce.
QH used the word foundations, in some ways the ARU tendering process is ensuring it is being built with a core interest from within. In my eyes this will ensure solid fou..
Dave, there is no process yet.
My understanding is that Allambie Jets can submit an EOI to field a team ATM.
Let's see what happens when they actually provides some detail about who is responsible for what,before we judge the ARU and it's intentions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I do not agree.
Everyone just assumes that a 3rd tier is the answer: any 3rd tier will do as long as we have a 3rd tier.
The wrong 3rd tier model has the capacity to change the rugby landscape in this country forever and for the worse, if not the worst.
Blind optimism is not the answer and is how we got to this point in the first place.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What the ARU have done thus far gives some cause for encouragement. The disastrous ARC was a result of the ARU saying this is what we are going to do, you'll all have to like it or lump it. And most of us took the second option and largely ignored it, so it failed. On this occasion, perhaps because they realise that they don't have all the answers and there is a considerable amount of rugby knowledge out there, they've adopted a different approach. This approach seems to be; you guys give us some options as to the teams which will make up the competition and we'll come to the final decision.

What we don't know as yet is what will be ARU/Fox funded and what the competing clubs will need to pay for. One would assume that at the very least, ground hire, transport costs and administration would be covered by the ARU and maybe some other things as well.

To my way of thinking as long as the ARU get the number and location of teams right and are able to provide a level playing field when the thing is launched, then there is a high likelihood of success.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
^^ yes QH - the ARU is seeking input from the stake holders, and this will provide vested interest.
First appearance seemed vague, disjointed, and unorganized at the start but as its developed a very smart approach.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am not sure how smart the approach until we see the Tender conditions.
Expressions of interest are just that, but the tender conditions will determine who gets to play seriously.
Not sure I like any individual club having a license, but then I would have preferred a national club championship anyway.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What we don't know as yet is what will be ARU/Fox funded and what the competing clubs will need to pay for. One would assume that at the very least, ground hire, transport costs and administration would be covered by the ARU and maybe some other things as well.

I thought a condition was that all the clubs could and would fund themselves.
When you throw in the Citing commissioners, Refs, AR's, TMO's match fees, travel and accommodation there wouldn't be much left from the fox money, I suspect.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought a condition was that all the clubs could and would fund themselves.
When you throw in the Citing commissioners, Refs, AR's, TMO's match fees, travel and accommodation there wouldn't be much left from the fox money, I suspect.
True, but as yet we just don't know where the ARU finance ends and where the club/franchise finance starts. Does the Pulveriser expect to lose $5 mil beyond the Fox money or is the Fox money the bottom line and everything else is self-funding? Super players apparently won't be paid, but presumably non-super players will get something. Who pays? If the club/franchise has to pay non-super players, but doesn't have to pay super players, then clubs/franchises with a higher percentage of super players have a double advantage - i.e. player quality and finance. This is the sort of fine print on which the viability of the thing rests.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Careful - some will construe that as nay saying when what is required is fervent jingoism
I've suffered the slings and arrows of the thread which dare not speak its name. Anything on this thread is a doddle.:)

I'm a big supporter of the concept, but like you I think it's important that it is done properly. If anything was learnt from the ARC fiasco it's that you have to get it right for it to work.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Sorry 'Done that' I'm going to continue posting :)

It has been mentioned that not a lot of NRC noise has come of Queensland. This article by Grant Jenkins is quite interesting. I think the sections on 'training structure, Reds buy in and player buy in' are critical. Fascinating that in Grant's opinion the Reds players found the 2007 ARC a nuisance. Hopefully everyone sees the wisdom in the article.

http://propelperform.com/ideas-nrc/

Thanks to suckerforred for the link to the site via twitter.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sorry 'Done that' I'm going to continue posting :)

It has been mentioned that not a lot of NRC noise has come of Queensland. This article by Grant Jenkins is quite interesting. I think the sections on 'training structure, Reds buy in and player buy in' are critical. Fascinating that in Grant's opinion the Reds players found the 2007 ARC a nuisance. Hopefully everyone sees the wisdom in the article.

http://propelperform.com/ideas-nrc/

Thanks to suckerforred for the link to the site via twitter.
I'll be self-indulgent too and reply.:)

Great article. Good to see the thoughts of someone who was inside the ARC and I notice that his thoughts on it and the differences this time around are the same as many of us on this thread.

Essential that the QRU are onside and that the Brisbane clubs are rugby public feel ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.