• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And there is obviously no rivalry whatsoever between Rats and Marlins, and everyone loves the Gay Gordons.

It is so understandable why those three and the Shore boys have announced that they will be bidding as a joint venture.

If club officials can go beyond petty tribalism on the North side of the harbour, then why is is so difficult for those on the South?

I'd cheer for the rats in most games they play - accept the derby and then it is game on.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
How many Adelaide born Super Rugby players are there? And what makes them think they'll play there?

And I don't mean to shit all over Adelaide club rugby, but how good are the players in their local comp if they haven't already gone to Sydney/Brisbane/Canberra or even Melbourne or Perth for better opportunities?

The idea is nice, but I just don't see it happening for a long, long.... loooooooong long time....
Hilderbrant the Forces EPS hooker last year was a SA player now gone north to England I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Rokobaro was also a jnr player. JH went to Manly as a colts player after his schoolboy day's. Both players links to SA are tenuous at best.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brock James played SA16s before finishing school at Scots. I can't think of any others from Adelaide.

Jerry Yanuyanutawa came from Fiji to Adelaide with his family when his father was studying there. After playing there he was referred to Sydney Uni where he eventually switched from the back row to front row. That led to the Brumbies, then Glasgow Warriors and the Fijian national side.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
And there is obviously no rivalry whatsoever between Rats and Marlins, and everyone loves the Gay Gordons.

It is so understandable why those three and the Shore boys have announced that they will be bidding as a joint venture.

If club officials can go beyond petty tribalism on the North side of the harbour, then why is is so difficult for those on the South?

Dear Hugh - "why is it so difficult" seems to indicate that you have knowledge that the "Southern Clubs" are having difficulties. I am unaware of what they are doing at all, let alone them having difficulties. I have read scuttlebutt about Randwick however thats it. I bet they are all in discussion. What is your mail? What difficulties are they having? In fairness, we are all allowed to hypothesise so if that is it, no problem.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Jerry Yanuyanutawa came from Fiji to Adelaide with his family when his father was studying there. After playing there he was referred to Sydney Uni where he eventually switched from the back row to front row. That led to the Brumbies, then Glasgow Warriors and the Fijian national side.

Jerry's been good for us. 3rd string, behind Grant and Low, but that still means regular gametime. Probably helps with the 2 other Fijians (Matawalu and Nakawara) being there as well.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
We're involved in discussions that are only in their infancy but are progressing very nicely. Won't be making further comment here until it's all finalised and ultimately accepted by ARU.

blatant self advertisement here but obviously there's room for the WS Rams to be resurrected with a clearer brand :p

obviously there should be room in the franchise for a young up and coming marketer with graphics skills too :p

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jerry's been good for us. 3rd string, behind Grant and Low, but that still means regular gametime. Probably helps with the 2 other Fijians (Matawalu and Nakawara) being there as well.

I think he's still got plenty of potential for development, Highlander. At the Brumbies he was not encouraged to train really heavily, and in fact in his initial years he had Bill Young trying to teach him the fine art of cheating in scrums. In my opinion the reason why Young cheated was to try and cope with the really powerful props like Jerry.

From talking to him it is obvious that he is really enjoying the environment at Glasgow where all the front rowers do seriously heavy squatting.

In 2008, a few days after the Shute Shield Grand Final he box squatted 260kg for 6 reps:

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
blatant self advertisement here but obviously there's room for the WS Rams to be resurrected with a clearer brand :p

BbILn2sCcAE2JE_.jpg:large

obviously there should be room in the franchise for a young up and coming marketer with graphics skills too :p
And they've still got all the jumpers sitting there.

T

turnovertwopasses

Cmon Bruce- who really cares what his gym stats are? If he was as powerful/as much of a boss as you say, then he would have made it. Also- professional players shouldnt need encouragement to train hard- you should know, every player from 1s to 3rd grade colties is on the books for Uni!!

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
It was hardly meant to be a negative post, I like Jerry, it's just both a) Grant is a regular Scottish international and b) Welsh has been an excellent glasgow player for a reasonable length of time.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

The EOI criteria a vague enough for the ARU not to select any team for whatever reason they want. It would be good to have teams in all the major cities but I can't see the ARU agreeing to it. They don't want teams to be up and running and then asking for financial help. I can't see the long term viability of a team in Adelaide but I am happy to be proven wrong. I don't think I have all the answers and at least they are getting involved.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cmon Bruce- who really cares what his gym stats are? If he was as powerful/as much of a boss as you say, then he would have made it. Also- professional players shouldnt need encouragement to train hard- you should know, every player from 1s to 3rd grade colties is on the books for Uni!!

Welcome aboard, turnover; you have been quite busy making new friends in the 11 days you've been with us. As well as describing one member as "the joker who was trumpeting Gordon" and another as "empire u pissant", you have shown a deep historical knowledge of club rugby as in, "all of us at one time or another have ha a club/pokies and somehow managed to lose them!!!"

I will have to yield to your superior wisdom and accept that no one "really cares what his gym stats are". Similarly with your pronouncement that: "If he was as powerful/as much of a boss as you say, then he would have made it." Yes, he would have gone a long way further than playing Super rugby for the Brumbies; playing RaboDirect PRO12 for Glasgow Warriors; and International rugby for Fiji. So I will have to agree with your assessment that he is not "much of a boss", although I am unfamiliar with that term in relation to rugby.

You will have to excuse me if I refrain from commenting on your statement that: "every player from 1s to 3rd grade colties is on the books for Uni!!" The basic reason for this is not discourtesy, but rather that I am too thick to comprehend what you are on about.

You show promise of being an interesting addition to the rich tapestry of G&GR.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was hardly meant to be a negative post, I like Jerry, it's just both a) Grant is a regular Scottish international and b) Welsh has been an excellent glasgow player for a reasonable length of time.

I certainly didn't interpret your post as being negative, Highlander. Jerry has a deep respect for Northern Hemisphere scrummaging, as I do, and he realises he has much to learn. He was schooled in the most cerebral dimension of our sport by Trevor Woodman when Trevor was scrum coach at Sydney Uni, which has given him a good foundation to build on.

T

turnovertwopasses

Flat track bully Sydney Uni for mine...
Uni will get found out next year if they are granted entry to the NRC and are faced with an even playing field

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The EOI criteria a vague enough for the ARU not to select any team for whatever reason they want. It would be good to have teams in all the major cities but I can't see the ARU agreeing to it. They don't want teams to be up and running and then asking for financial help. I can't see the long term viability of a team in Adelaide but I am happy to be proven wrong. I don't think I have all the answers and at least they are getting involved.
I'm not advocating for or against any place or team, but in general terms if the administration is efficient and effective and the finances are healthy, the team concerned will be successful.

As a case in point in the early 90s Randwick, Warringah and Gordon were 3 of the strongest clubs in Sydney, since that time each of them has experienced either poor management or financial difficulties. The result being that in the past few year each of them have struggled. The reverse is true of Sydney Uni, Manly and Sthn Districts, each of whom struggled in the early 90s, finising mid-field at best as a result of either inefficient management or lack of finance. Each of those clubs are now well managed and/or are financially sound and it's no coincidence that they have been at the top of the ladder in the past few years.
As a control, Eastwood have been well-managed and financially sound for the whole time and have remained at or near the top.

The Waratahs are another case in point, but we don't have the time or the space to go there.

T

turnovertwopasses

How did the wicks, rats and gordon experience financial troubles? They were going great guna

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How did the wicks, rats and gordon experience financial troubles? They were going great guna
No doubt a combination of things. In some cases circumstances changed and the committees didn't adjust. In other cases, external factors may have conspired against them. In the amateur era, Randwick were the destination of choice for may elite young players, the rise of Uni removed that natural advantage. Gordon have the biggest junior catchment in Sydney, yet have struggled to put 1 colts team on the field in recent years. Both Randwick and Gordon have had fairly disastrous licenced club ventures. When Pittwater Council split from Warringah, they assumed control of Rat Park and took control of management from the club. Now all match day revenue goes to the council rather than the club as does ground advertising.

These are my perecptions, based on observations and conversations with people involved at the clubs. There may be other reasons as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.