• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The only criteria that I can find are those from the original press release:
those applications will be considered on key areas including financial performance; professional team staffing structure and environment, commitment to player development, venue facilities, links to Super Rugby clubs, and current or potential fan base.

I can readily see that Perth, Melbourne and Canberra will be able to demonstrate links to the respective S15 clubs, but I wonder how this criterion will be applied to Sydney and Brisbane based teams. Will the Tahs and Reds be able to even handedly link to multiple NRC teams, whatever that might mean in practice? Would it include financial support (sponsorship), management and coaching support, sharing facilities, etc?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can readily see that Perth, Melbourne and Canberra will be able to demonstrate links to the respective S15 clubs, but I wonder how this criterion will be applied to Sydney and Brisbane based teams. Will the Tahs and Reds be able to even handedly link to multiple NRC teams, whatever that might mean in practice? Would it include financial support (sponsorship), management and coaching support, sharing facilities, etc?
I've assumed the link meant that there was a pathway and that the 3T teams needed to show that they could provide the link between club and super. Michael Cheika has managed to forge links with 12 Shute Shield clubs and offer at least some of their players and coaches access to the Waratahs set up. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to link 3 or 4 3T teams to the Waratahs. It would surely be in the Waratah's interests to have competition for spots. I'd assume that the Reds would be able to do likewise. It's where good management practices at both levels are needed for the thing to work - that applies whether there is one or multiple 3T teams linked to a super club.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As a case in point in the early 90s Randwick, Warringah and Gordon were 3 of the strongest clubs in Sydney, since that time each of them has experienced either poor management or financial difficulties.
As a control, Eastwood have been well-managed and financially sound for the whole time and have remained at or near the top.

Oh no, they haven't. The Woodies were a million or so in the red, and were bailed out by North Ryde RSL Club in the late nineties.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Oh no, they haven't. The Woodies were a million or so in the red, and were bailed out by North Ryde RSL Club in the late nineties.
Correct, the point being that the money never dried up, it was just being supplied by NRRSL, so rugby operations continued on pretty much the same basis. Other clubs didn't have someone to bail them out, so had less money to run their operations.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I like the fact that some of the SS clubs have put their differences aside and are working proactively together on a bid. But you have to wonder what the ARU is doing in all of this?

You can bet your left nut if the NZRU were running this deal they would have told who was partnering up with who and have all the development ties to the super clubs tied up as well.

If we want to churn out well drilled rugby players who have experienced similar program's and instinctively know how it all ties together, the ARU need to take a firmer hand at all levels like the NZRU does.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I think they're hesitant to do that again charger because of the original ARC. There was no problem with the pairings then but they don't know what to blame since it was their ineptitude at home ground placement and marketing and resilience at that time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
This (an extract) from the Southern District president's Christmas message.

"The National Rugby Championship has been scheduled to start one week after the Shute Shield Finals. It is currently proposed to have 8 – 10 Sub-Regional teams’ 1 each from Perth, Melbourne and Canberra, two from Brisbane and at least 3 from Sydney. The ARU has called for initial expressions of interest from entities wishing to form part of that competition. Your Board has been represented at two meetings one with the Eastern Suburbs and Randwick Clubs and again with a Western Sydney Group of Clubs (namely West Harbour, Parramatta, Penrith and Eastwood) and have submitted preliminary expressions of interest along those lines. I am aware that there has been an expression of interest submitted by a Northern Sydney Sub-Regional Group (consisting of Northern Suburbs, Manly Warringah and Gordon). I am further advised that the Sydney University RUFC have submitted a stand-alone submission as has Randwick RUFC. It is the general opinion of the Sydney Rugby Union and the Sydney Premiership Clubs that NRC entities should not be stand-alone clubs which would lead to a possible further unbalancing of the Shute Shield Competition. The expressions of interest close on 13th January and full proposals are required mid-February. You will be updated as to the progress of your clubs submissions. In the meantime we have a Sydney Premiership competition to get on with and I would like to thank and acknowledge all that have been involved in pre-season training both down at Forshaw and at the various Gymnasiums around the district. I have it on good authority that our Colts are about to really step up this year and give their competitions are real crack after proving last season the talent was thereabouts."

Seems to reinforce some of the speculation already on this site, but at least is 1st hand information.

T

turnovertwopasses

Uni and Randwick MUST NOT be allowed to enter on their own. They must not

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
The tongues are really wagging about the NRC.

The snouts have told me that there will be a well known former ARU employee heading up the North Shore bid. It will really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Snouts also say that the Western Sydney team will be a definite goer, with some serious investment from licensed clubs bank rolling the operation. They haven't decided on a team name or anything yet, but the clubs all signed a heads of agreement last week to work together. Their Expression of Interest has already been submitted to the ARU.

And the biggest one of all................Scott Johnson will be returning to Australia to coach a team in the NRC next year, and it won't be a Sydney team.

B

BellyTwoBlues

blatant self advertisement here but obviously there's room for the WS Rams to be resurrected with a clearer brand :p

BbILn2sCcAE2JE_.jpg:large

obviously there should be room in the franchise for a young up and coming marketer with graphics skills too :p

That's extremely close to the original..........but your candidacy has been noted. PM me here for further discussion

B

BellyTwoBlues

I certainly didn't interpret your post as being negative, Highlander. Jerry has a deep respect for Northern Hemisphere scrummaging, as I do, and he realises he has much to learn. He was schooled in the most cerebral dimension of our sport by Trevor Woodman when Trevor was scrum coach at Sydney Uni, which has given him a good foundation to build on.

Jerry is a quality player, no question in my mind

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This (an extract) from the Southern District president's Christmas message.

"The National Rugby Championship has been scheduled to start one week after the Shute Shield Finals. It is currently proposed to have 8 – 10 Sub-Regional teams’ 1 each from Perth, Melbourne and Canberra, two from Brisbane and at least 3 from Sydney. The ARU has called for initial expressions of interest from entities wishing to form part of that competition. Your Board has been represented at two meetings one with the Eastern Suburbs and Randwick Clubs and again with a Western Sydney Group of Clubs (namely West Harbour, Parramatta, Penrith and Eastwood) and have submitted preliminary expressions of interest along those lines. I am aware that there has been an expression of interest submitted by a Northern Sydney Sub-Regional Group (consisting of Northern Suburbs, Manly Warringah and Gordon). I am further advised that the Sydney University RUFC have submitted a stand-alone submission as has Randwick RUFC. It is the general opinion of the Sydney Rugby Union and the Sydney Premiership Clubs that NRC entities should not be stand-alone clubs which would lead to a possible further unbalancing of the Shute Shield Competition. The expressions of interest close on 13th January and full proposals are required mid-February. You will be updated as to the progress of your clubs submissions. In the meantime we have a Sydney Premiership competition to get on with and I would like to thank and acknowledge all that have been involved in pre-season training both down at Forshaw and at the various Gymnasiums around the district. I have it on good authority that our Colts are about to really step up this year and give their competitions are real crack after proving last season the talent was thereabouts."

Seems to reinforce some of the speculation already on this site, but at least is 1st hand information.
The northern 4 and the western 4 make sense and I'm glad both are up and running. Reading between the lines, it seems to me that the Randwick stand-alone proposal has caused SD to at least investigate the possiblility of joining with the western group rather than being shut-out completely. I hope sanity prevails and the south-eastern clubs (Easts, Rand & SD) go as a joint venture.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I know that peter cosgrove had some good relations with north sydney a while ago, but that was while I was still in school.

It seems that the east/south sides are the most disjointed and hard headed out of the lot of them, exciting that the others are once again working together for the good of rugby!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I know that peter cosgrove had some good relations with north sydney a while ago, but that was while I was still in school.

It seems that the east/south sides are the most disjointed and hard headed out of the lot of them, exciting that the others are once again working together for the good of rugby!

Mr Cosgrove will be busy being the next Governor General soon so I would rule him out

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
he may have changed his mind since then though, its been five years or so. In any case it would be great for him to be governor general or great for him to be involved in the NRC somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.