• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does every Shute Shield club necessarily need to be involved in a team?

All Super Rugby players will get a gig somewhere and the top players from all clubs should get a chance at being contracted.

I don't necessarily think clubs will be hugely disadvantaged if they don't have official involvement in one of the franchises. By the sound of things, the teams that play the first year won't be set in stone forever more.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)

All Super Rugby players will get a gig somewhere and the top players from all clubs should get a chance at being contracted.

I don't necessarily think clubs will be hugely disadvantaged if they don't have official involvement in one of the franchises. By the sound of things, the teams that play the first year won't be set in stone forever more.
I think they should, it should be seen as a progression from SS and the best players/staff should be selected from the SS and go towards their respective new team. I would like it to be the first step on the rep ladder and as such each SS side is a feeder club for one of the NSW sides.
Also you dont want players to start playing for club a over club b because club a has affiliation with one of the new comps teams and they are therefore more likely to get a gig there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What about the challenge of running a team collaboratively between multiple clubs who might not see eye to eye?

What about the financial risk of the franchise losing money which may or may not have much to do with a specific club involved in the franchise?

I certainly get what you're saying, but I don't necessarily think it's better for a club to be lumped in with another club or group of clubs rather than not being involved.

Are non Super Rugby players more likely to get a gig with a team if they are aligned with a specific franchise that is coached by a coach from one of the other clubs involved or if their team is not aligned with any franchise and they are free to be signed by anyone?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have to be able to play for the wallabies or will imports be allowed?
Could there be a rush of fringe ITM cup players looking to play SS so they can play 3rd tier?

I know the question has been asked and the reply was that the comp was for local players only. This was in the first day or so though so anything could change.

Edit - I would assume though that players working towards eligibility via residency, e.g. Henry Speight, would be allowed to play.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
best outcome to have shute shield teams involved is to create new franchises, setup 50% split between the shute shield clubs in the district and sell the other 50% to investors.

That gives significant input and investment but also independance with the teams having 12.5% stakes they would be invested in it enough to make sure that community involvement takes place too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
<snip>
The rivalry between Easts and Randwick is legendary, could they work together?
<Snip>

And there is obviously no rivalry whatsoever between Rats and Marlins, and everyone loves the Gay Gordons.

It is so understandable why those three and the Shore boys have announced that they will be bidding as a joint venture.

If club officials can go beyond petty tribalism on the North side of the harbour, then why is is so difficult for those on the South?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

No they don't, but it makes sense to have as broad a base as possible. I'd have thought that one would want as many potential supporters/merchandise buyers as possible as well a have as many youngsters looking at 'their' 3T team as the natural progression beyond club.

The disadvantage will come if one team in a geographic region runs the 3T franchise, the better players will naturally gravitate there as will sponsorship dollars.

If the people running Shute Shield clubs are that petty that they can't get on with people from the neighbouring club, then they really need to look at their own motivation. If Manly/Warringah & Norths/Gordon can put decades of rivalry behind them, it shows that it's not that hard if you really want to do it.

T

Train Without a Station

Well said HJ. Better to be part of something, than all of nothing.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It disappoints me that they think they should. Easts and Souths have consistently outperformed them on and off the field for at least the last 5 years and by this action, they are effectively trying to shut Easts and Souths out of 3T involvement and to set themselves up as the dominant force in south-eastern Sydney. I don't understand any other reason that they wouldn't be talking with Easts and Souths other than parochial self-interest.

And if the ARU has a business mind and a bit of commonsense about creating success for rugby this bid will not be accepted. Whilst I admire were Randwick has come when looking at 2012 / 2013 - as a stand alone entity they should not be accepted.

2Blues have always contributed to the forum - whats the chat and plans out west.

Surely there is chat within Souths & Easts - whats the talk.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the Black Falcons can get things together and have the financials sorted it could be a success down there. Good to see also that they've included NT, Tassie and not limited themselves to SA. Rugby people thinkng ahead for the greater good - all too rare.:)

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
I really hope this becomes huge.

Mainly just so Greg Growden can't write anymore articles bashing it and pushing for Shute Shield as the be all and end all...

Also on the topic of the Black Falcons : I have read a lot of hate here at the thought of a SA/Adelaide team being included in the NRC.

From my understanding they are looking at predominately home grown talent with the additions of some Adelaide born SOUP players inlcluded.

Yes they will probably be whipping boys for a while, but apart from that what is the main criticism of their inclusion??? According to the Expression Of Interest we have been given by the ARU the bids must be financially self sustaining as not to burden the comp. So therefore if the ARU grants the Black Falcons (including Tas and NT) a tenor, they would have had to meet all the criteria to be eligible, including the financial side.

To be honest, despite my complete lack of a second eye, I would rather we miss out this year at least until the comp lays its roots down. As long as we aren't forgotten altogether and there is a strategic plan for South Australian rugby to be included, then I'm a happy camper.

Just don't be too slow ARU or else league will steal your opportunity...

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes they will probably be whipping boys for a while, but apart from that what is the main criticism of their inclusion???
Because it is unlikley that those with the funding will continue to spend money watching the "locals" and the smattering 9of ex "locals" get slaughtered week in, week out.

The financial backers will either remove their financial backing - resulting in the whole exercise being a complete waste of time, OR (more likely) proceed with a spending plan to pillage one of the two rugby heartlands for players in order to be uber competitive (and contrary to their initial objective).

The SA rugby are 100 years too late in capturing the hearts and minds of their citizenry unfortunately.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Mainly just so Greg Growden can't write anymore articles bashing it and pushing for Shute Shield as the be all and end all.

Also on the topic of the Black Falcons : I have read a lot of hate here at the thought of a SA/Adelaide team being included in the NRC.

From my understanding they are looking at predominately home grown talent with the additions of some Adelaide born SOUP players inlcluded.

Yes they will probably be whipping boys for a while, but apart from that what is the main criticism of their inclusion??? According to the Expression Of Interest we have been given by the ARU the bids must be financially self sustaining as not to burden the comp. So therefore if the ARU grants the Black Falcons (including Tas and NT) a tenor, they would have had to meet all the criteria to be eligible, including the financial side.

To be honest, despite my complete lack of a second eye, I would rather we miss out this year at least until the comp lays its roots down. As long as we aren't forgotten altogether and there is a strategic plan for South Australian rugby to be included, then I'm a happy camper.

Just don't be too slow ARU or else league will steal your opportunity.

How many Adelaide born Super Rugby players are there? And what makes them think they'll play there?

And I don't mean to shit all over Adelaide club rugby, but how good are the players in their local comp if they haven't already gone to Sydney/Brisbane/Canberra or even Melbourne or Perth for better opportunities?

The idea is nice, but I just don't see it happening for a long, long........ loooooooong long time........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Mainly just so Greg Growden can't write anymore articles bashing it and pushing for Shute Shield as the be all and end all.

Just don't be too slow ARU or else league will steal your opportunity.
Does anyone still pay any attention to Greg Growden? I thought he'd slipped into irrelevance.

I really hope you guys get it together and make a success of this. I would imagine that long term financial support would be an issue if the team isn't successful on field. At least people down there are thinking positive.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.