• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A mate of mine did his masters and PHD at Swinburne Uni because they sponsored the Hawks. He's a rare case though and his PHD was based on AFL statistics so there is a link.

There are lots of benefits for Universities to link with sporting teams if they have a high involvement in schools. They can send players and staff along to promote educational opportunities for prospective students. A program like school 7's would be great to link to for a Uni as they can target boys and girls.

Higher education is a competitive market these days so Universities need to fight to get in the hearts and minds you potential students. No matter how much theses Universities pay for the sponsorship they will never have the value of a University Club like Sydney Uni and UQ being fielded in the comp.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would of been better having it on ABC and having maybe 1-2 live games per week and the rest on repeat...foxtel option is a joke.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
my university decided not to give funding (a relatively modest $500,000 a year) to the solar car project I was a founding member of where it was involving upto 30 students from different backgrounds, gaining independant media and competing against the biggest universities in the world whilst developing photovoltaics and transport research at the same time it announced sponsorship of the western sydney wanderers which I would suggest would be a significant amount more than that.

But we couldn't have any money because of lack of funding.

Well, it's good to see they have their priorities straight.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rugby can't even get Super 15 on FTA, what hope would there be getting 3T? Except maybe late at night that is - including the ABC.

Foxtel and Thursday evening matches are the only option for this to happen at all as far as I can see. How the competition goes will determine if it lasts or if there is any demand for further TV coverage. This is where they have to get it right in allocating which teams play in the competition.

The 4 northern Sydney clubs have made a great start, I think we can take Perth, Melbourne and Canberra as definites. We're yet to hear of anything from western Sydney, or Brisbane in terms of who might put together a JV. Sydney Uni have applied which has divided opinion. The big negative that I've heard so far is the Randwick/UNSW JV, which effectively shuts out the rest of south eastern Sydney and seems incredibly short-sighted and parochial, the exact opposite of the approach that the 4 northern clubs have taken.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Have you not read any of the thread so far? Foxtel are basically the only reason this is viable. You want to support it get to a couple of games rather than sit on your ass in front of the box.

I do understand this - I am simply saying it would of been alot better long term option to have it on FTA - I guess the ARU only have themselves to blame for getting in this position where they can only get a foxtel deal...lets be honest there is going to be more French rugby and NZ rugby on fox than Aussie rugby haha....

Hopefully they will be able to run a fairly aggressive marketing and advertising campaign on FTA for the games played in the local areas - much like they are doing with the T20 Cricket atm - the aru really need to take a leaf out of the t20 cricket, a-league book in regards to advertising and marketing and getting the game off the ground....

If they stay with the same old stuff they have been doing Aussie rugby will stay in a decline....

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The big negative that I've heard so far is the Randwick/UNSW JV, which effectively shuts out the rest of south eastern Sydney and seems incredibly short-sighted and parochial, the exact opposite of the approach that the 4 northern clubs have taken.

Yep.
Manly could probably make a success of it, but there's talks about establishing the North Harbor team. Manly tick all the boxes, plus the peninsular (included the Rats) is very patriotic so the following would increase, they consistently have the best gate.

I'd be disappointed if Randwick stand alone - their stats do not support it, if they do it would be a bit like insider trading.

T

Train Without a Station

I do understand this - I am simply saying it would of been alot better long term option to have it on FTA - I guess the ARU only have themselves to blame for getting in this position where they can only get a foxtel deal.lets be honest there is going to be more French rugby and NZ rugby on fox than Aussie rugby haha..

Hopefully they will be able to run a fairly aggressive marketing and advertising campaign on FTA for the games played in the local areas - much like they are doing with the T20 Cricket atm - the aru really need to take a leaf out of the t20 cricket, a-league book in regards to advertising and marketing and getting the game off the ground..

If they stay with the same old stuff they have been doing Aussie rugby will stay in a decline..

You make it sound like they are knocking back FTA deals for a couple of bucks. Rugby beyond test matches has never been on FTA because FTA stations have never come to the table with decent offers that will sustain the game. While the ARU have made a lot of mistakes you cannot blame them for not taking any potential deals which would see them losing money since 1996. The professional game kicked off and was able to attract stars due to Pay TV money. Without Pay TV the game would probably still be stuck in 1995 here. Australian rugby owes it's limited prosperity to Pay TV in fact. We would never even have gotten where we are now without it.

For the growth of the game they need to get content on FTA, but at it's peak the offers didn't appear to be there, so we are still a fair distance away from it now.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd be disappointed if Randwick stand alone - their stats do not support it,
It disappoints me that they think they should. Easts and Souths have consistently outperformed them on and off the field for at least the last 5 years and by this action, they are effectively trying to shut Easts and Souths out of 3T involvement and to set themselves up as the dominant force in south-eastern Sydney. I don't understand any other reason that they wouldn't be talking with Easts and Souths other than parochial self-interest.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Any of our Queensland friends have any information about how things are taking shape up there? The only thing I've read in the press is that the Mayor of the Gold Coast regional council wants one there and has offered some council support.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Queensland would be better served with 2 teams. North of the river and South of the river. We could field 3 if required but I feel the teams need to be competitive for the comp to be a success up here.

Sunnybank and UQ are probably the 2 clubs that could consider going it alone, but I don't think it would help rugby in Qld if they did. My preferred option would be joint ventures with some input from the QRU for the first few years to get them off the ground (this support doesn't have to be financial but more in terms of knowledge sharing).

One of the issues with the ARC was that both Qld teams struggled and finished bottom of the ladder. It was a reflection of the state of rugby here at the time. I think rugby in Brisbane is in a much better position this time around.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Little bit łeft field but I think the best result for Qld would be the following.
Do not have any teams based in Brisbane. Nobody has the money, there are so many jealousy issues, and to use Ballymore the QRU charge more than renting Buckingham Palace. The QRU as the supposed body for Rugby in the state should be seeking investment from the Gold Cosst and Sunshine Coast councils. Divide the clubs south and north. They can train at various club grounds, but they play as GC (South) and SC (North). Both areas will get good university support. The September-October window is good for tourism. You will be taking Rugby at a decent level to a new market of supporters than that which follow the Reds and the 8 Brisbane clubs.
In short make 3rd Tier something that adds value to the pie rather than simply rehash club Rugby.
There is nothing in this for the clubs if it steals from their current market.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Little bit łeft field but I think the best result for Qld would be the following.
Do not have any teams based in Brisbane. Nobody has the money, there are so many jealousy issues, and to use Ballymore the QRU charge more than renting Buckingham Palace. The QRU as the supposed body for Rugby in the state should be seeking investment from the Gold Cosst and Sunshine Coast councils. Divide the clubs south and north. They can train at various club grounds, but they play as GC (South) and SC (North). Both areas will get good university support. The September-October window is good for tourism. You will be taking Rugby at a decent level to a new market of supporters than that which follow the Reds and the 8 Brisbane clubs.
In short make 3rd Tier something that adds value to the pie rather than simply rehash club Rugby.
There is nothing in this for the clubs if it steals from their current market.
I like the lateral thinking. Not sure if politically it will be possible to leave Brisbane without a team based there. What, if anything, have the clubs up there been doing/saying about 3T?

T

Train Without a Station

Happyjack you make some good points but as a Gold Coaster and rugby lover I honestly believe they would get better support in Brisbane than on the Gold Coast.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I think it's worth keeping in mind when discussing where teams should be based etc that "the cost of establishing, staffing, preparing and running the team and home match day costs will be borne by the team, who will take the match day receipts". I assume "running the team" includes payments to players.

So the teams need to be based where they will attract bums on seats at home games as this (plus possibly sponsorship, but I haven't seen any mention of whether the ARU will allow teams to seek their own sponsors -- raises the old issue of conflicts with existing ARU sponsors) will be the main source of income.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I think it's worth keeping in mind when discussing where teams should be based etc that "the cost of establishing, staffing, preparing and running the team and home match day costs will be borne by the team, who will take the match day receipts". I assume "running the team" includes payments to players.

So the teams need to be based where they will attract bums on seats at home games as this (plus possibly sponsorship, but I haven't seen any mention of whether the ARU will allow teams to seek their own sponsors -- raises the old issue of conflicts with existing ARU sponsors) will be the main source of income.
Exactly, so the teams put forward need to be a merger of existing clubs?
Pick a squad of club players and a coaching staff from the feeder teams.
I think the ARU have messed-up in asking for bids, we should have four NSW teams - three merged clubs (4 Shute shield temas each) and the Cockatoos.
Spread games round the "home grounds" and maybe play a couple of double/triple headers at SFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.