• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Info from IS on the previous page was that it was stand alone, but even a JV with UNSW doesn't take advantage of all stakeholders in SE Sydney.

Randwick apparently knocked back a JV with UNSW for this season's Shute Shield but jagged their money by way of sponsorship anyway. With Abbot threatening/promising to take over Unis who knows.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Randwick apparently knocked back a JV with UNSW for this season's Shute Shield but jagged their money by way of sponsorship anyway. With Abbot threatening/promising to take over Unis who knows.
Regardless of who's in government, I find it odd that a publicly funded educational institution has sufficient spare money to sponsor a sporting team. I also noticed that UNE had sufficient spare cash to sponsor the Parramatta Eels NRL team in 2013.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Regardless of who's in government, I find it odd that a publicly funded educational institution has sufficient spare money to sponsor a sporting team. I also noticed that UNE had sufficient spare cash to sponsor the Parramatta Eels NRL team in 2013.

I'm the same. I had the same feeling when Canberra Uni was anounced as the sponsor for Brumbies. All I hope is that a lot of the sponsorship dollars comes a 'in kind' stuff.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

love to see the market research on the last one

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
There isn't a law against Universities making money from patents, research or fees.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There isn't a law against Universities making money from patents, research or fees.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
It's just a question of what they do with it. I would have thought supporting disadvantaged students into higher honours might be a better use of money. Sponsoring a sporting team while at the same time putting your hand out for bucket loads of taxpayer dollars isn't a good look. What are the Unis getting for their sponsorship dollars? They're always telling us they haven't room for all the students that apply.:confused:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Randwick & UNSW = $$$$ + support base
Balmain @ Sydney Uni playing at Leichardt as another sydney team, plus the
north shore consortia is my tip for the 3 Sydney teams
How many paying fans do Randwick pull at Coogee? 1,000? Plus 200 to David Phillips to watch UNSW?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
UWS also sponsor the GWS giants and Wanderers.

I'm fairly sure they will force a western sydney team somehow. The big bids should be trying to affiliate with the smaller ones for arguments sake in any case.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It's just a question of what they do with it. I would have thought supporting disadvantaged students into higher honours might be a better use of money. Sponsoring a sporting team while at the same time putting your hand out for bucket loads of taxpayer dollars isn't a good look. What are the Unis getting for their sponsorship dollars? They're always telling us they haven't room for all the students that apply.:confused:

As a Current UNE student I was not impressed to hear of the sponsorship. Particularly as distance students, approx 20,000 of them, were hit with the SSAF and many would never need to attend the campus. I could kind of understand though as they are opening a new campus somewhere in Parra.

Fortunately UNE has decided not to sponsor the Eels next year as they have an online bookie as a sponsor and the uni did not want to be associated with them. The SSAF has also been scrapped for distance students so I don't think they will be going down this route again.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Randwick & UNSW = $$$$ + support base
Balmain @ Sydney Uni playing at Leichardt as another sydney team, plus the
north shore consortia is my tip for the 3 Sydney teams
Well done.Sucked me in!
Sometimes it's hard to detect tone when reading things.
I had typed a furious response,before it dawned on me you were taking the piss.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sponsorship is just another form of advertising. There is absolutely nothing wrong with tertiary institutions promoting themselves, through advertising of various kinds, including the sponsorship of sporting teams. We live in a commercially orientated world these days, tertiary institutions are now competing for students.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Will any of you now go out and purchase foxtel next year to watch this comp?

No, not for 1 game per week.
Although I will attend games in Sydney where possible.

As I've suggested before, Foxtel have probably just got on board with this to try to protect their exclusive S15 coverage. I doubt they believe rugby followers who don't already subscribe are going to sign up in their thousands to watch 1 game of NRC per week. May change down the track of course if it's successful and grows in popularity.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Will any of you now go out and purchase foxtel next year to watch this comp?
I doubt this will bring many new susbsribers, but pay TV is desperate for content. At the moment for example, one can watch replays of NRL, AFL and Super rugby matches along with a myriad of obscure sporting contests on the 4 or 5 sports channels that Fox run. During the season Qld Cup league and NSW Cup are both shown on replay when there's nothing else to show. I suspect the main match will be televised live on a Thursday night and the others will either be replayed at various times or shown as a 1 hour highlights package. Eurosport do this with Top 14, although their matches are staggered so 4 or 5 are shown live and there's a one hour highlights package each week to summarise the round.

Status
Not open for further replies.