• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Then I hope the ARU play the "what have you done for me lately" card.
If Randwick stand alone,Uni must also be given the same opportunity.
I would have thought both Manly and Southern districts and probably Norths are all in a stronger position than Randwick,will the ARU grant them stand alone status as well?
" Tell them they are dreaming"

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would have thought both Manly and Southern districts and probably Norths are all in a stronger position than Randwick,will the ARU grant them stand alone status as well?

Rugby is like real estate: except its connections connections connections

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Manly are adult enough and realistic enough to realise that they can't stand alone in a national 3T competition. The 4 northern clubs should be congratulated on seeing the sense in banding together of their own volition to set up a strong entity for the greater good.

The idea of any Shute Shield club other than Uni standing alone is either fantasy or hubris.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly are adult enough and realistic enough to realise that they can't stand alone in a national 3T competition. The 4 northern clubs should be congratulated on seeing the sense in banding together of their own volition to set up a strong entity for the greater good.

The idea of any Shute Shield club other than Uni standing alone is either fantasy or hubris.
QH I think they could pull it off as well.
Best gate, consistently up there in the CC, Strong Financials, very strong and supportive of Grass Roots.
But, alas it appears they are not.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Absolutely wrong. It gave them a chance to play against a lower average standard of players than they were with in their Super Rugby squads. It did nothing to advance their development. I mean, truly, what impact do you think a couple of hours of ARC Rugby had on Higginbotham?

"I'm not sure what else you're expecting or why you have a problem with this."

The reasons I have a problem with it are that (a) it's unsustainable, (b) it's unnecessary and (c) it will cause damage to the club tier of the game, which ultimately will damage the flow of players into professional Rugby.

In case it escaped your attention, Australian Rugby is broke, and the Australian franchises do not dominate Super Rugby. The answer to those problems is not to create a quasi-professional extra level of the game. The best players are already being identified and absorbed into the professional ranks. So it makes no sense at all to invent a competition for players who are never going to be Wallabies.

But, as I say, it's happening, so we may as well watch the debacle unfold.

Sorry Snort, can't see it your way at all. As you say, we do not dominate Super Rugby. The Wobblies have been in the doldrums. Our Aussie Under 20s are ranked 8th. Our Sevens are on the up however also lowly ranked.
We are well behind the Saffers, the Sheep Shaggers & at times the Soap Dodgers.
I therefore think that, unless we try something different, things will stay the same.
Following the Currie Cup & ITM Cup models must be worth a go. That will provide an extra 100 player contracts ( a guesstimate) which should enable fringe players to get the training to develop their careers which filter up to improving the Wallabies. Who knows how many Scott Fardys are out there?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Absolutely wrong. It gave them a chance to play against a lower average standard of players than they were with in their Super Rugby squads. It did nothing to advance their development. I mean, truly, what impact do you think a couple of hours of ARC Rugby had on Higginbotham?

"I'm not sure what else you're expecting or why you have a problem with this."

The reasons I have a problem with it are that (a) it's unsustainable, (b) it's unnecessary and (c) it will cause damage to the club tier of the game, which ultimately will damage the flow of players into professional Rugby.

In case it escaped your attention, Australian Rugby is broke, and the Australian franchises do not dominate Super Rugby. The answer to those problems is not to create a quasi-professional extra level of the game. The best players are already being identified and absorbed into the professional ranks. So it makes no sense at all to invent a competition for players who are never going to be Wallabies.

But, as I say, it's happening, so we may as well watch the debacle unfold.

Snort a post like this would normally tick me off as its negative, but you explained your reasons and in some ways they are all plausable.

That being said though I see reasons why it can work and be a roaring success, but if some ideas are implemented it could also cock it right up.

I like the Shute consisting of Nth, Sth, West, and maybe a 4th team.
I like including U21's which would be inclusive of the school leavers, it would be exposing and developing the U20.
With regards to WA & VIC I'm all for developing there local comp and "ve shared ideas on that.

Snort - come on jump on the bus and enjoy the ride.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

The idea of ANY Shute Shield club standing alone I think is fantasy or hubris.

its good news if USyd have coe to their senses and are pairing up with someone. They could contribute to a very strong Sydney City team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Who do people think the teams will be? Will they be teams that are already formed? I.e Syd Uni, Tuggeranong Vikings - or do people think they will be mainly from teams they are going to be formed just for this comp? Or a mix?

Wish I was a multi millionaire I would chuck a team in haha
To my way of thinking, groups of clubs should form a joint venture similar to Manly, Warringah, Norths & Gordon. It just makes sense for so many reasons. Had one of those decided to go alone, they alienate most of the supporters of the other 3 straight away. Before you start you've lost up to 75% fan base, 75% merchandise buyers, 75% player base, 75% community support, your sponsors have 75% less exposure and you've reduced the opportunity to find sponsors in the first place.

IMO Eastwood, Wests, Parra and Penrith should be looking at doing exactly the same thing. If any of the 4 are looking at going alone, someone should give them a reality check ASAP.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Slightly off topic, but all the tragics on this site make sure they get an Oz Lotto ticket. Someone could then afford to toss a lazy $20million at Rugby while keeping $50 mill for themselves.

The collective GAGR brain and that kind of money.....:D:eek::p

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Slightly off topic, but all the tragics on this site make sure they get an Oz Lotto ticket. Someone could then afford to toss a lazy $20million at Rugby while keeping $50 mill for themselves.

I think the ARU may also be buying a few tickets

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The collective GAGR brain and that kind of money...:D:eek::p
Maybe the Randwick stand-alone venture are out there buying tickets now:)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
What I'm most interested in is Warren Livingstone and Balmain. Where do they stand with the new comp.

After all USyd and Balmain are reasonably close to each other.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What I'm most interested in is Warren Livingstone and Balmain. Where do they stand with the new comp.

After all USyd and Balmain are reasonably close to each other.
Balmain are a junior club afiliated with SU as far as I know, so there is a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.