• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think what we will see is the fringe players in VIC & WA not needing to travel to NSW & QLD to get a chance to show their wares but staying local because of the 3T.
I'd still like players returning to NSW / QLD if they chose to and also an U21 3T team so WA & VIC develop.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think what we will see is the fringe players in VIC & WA not needing to travel to NSW & QLD to get a chance to show their wares but staying local because of the 3T.
I think that this is what will most likely happen. Assuming that non-Wallaby Force and Rebels players and members of the Force and Rebels academies will be playing in the Perth and Melbourne 3T teams, it probably won't leave that many spots. A great opportunity for Melbourne and Perth to identify some local talent and build up the local competition with locals who will be there for the long haul. I can't see how filling Melbourne and Perth teams with players who can't make it in Sydney, Brisbane or Canberra is going to advance rugby long term in Melbourne and Perth.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think that this is what will most likely happen. Assuming that non-Wallaby Force and Rebels players and members of the Force and Rebels academies will be playing in the Perth and Melbourne 3T teams, it probably won't leave that many spots. A great opportunity for Melbourne and Perth to identify some local talent and build up the local competition with locals who will be there for the long haul. I can't see how filling Melbourne and Perth teams with players who can't make it in Sydney, Brisbane or Canberra is going to advance rugby long term in Melbourne and Perth.
It might have short term pain, but I think long term gain. I think the Syd, and Bris players should return to their state and they have to pick local. If an u21's team is included this will start developing the depth for the coming years.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't mean to express a view of shitting over all the clubs, but I struggle to understand how the clubs and by extension any Sydney and Brisbane teams seem to have any ownership over players in Perth and Melbourne, yet the franchises that pay them, who would likely have some interest in any Perth and Melbourne 3T team don't?

Don't get me wrong I understand that clubs have developed these players, but I'm sure the yearly salary these clubs are paying the players would be greater than what the clubs have put into them, so therefore, considering they are contracted to them, the clubs should have a strong say in where they play.

You say short term pain for long term gain, but I don't see Perth and Melbourne being absolute strugglers in a 3rd tier comp the best way to attract new support and players in developing markets. I see a lot of pain in that scenario and a real struggle to get any gain.

T

Train Without a Station

Personally I'd like to see them something like a salary cap system. Melbourne and Perth choose the cream of the players they want to keep there, but limit the amount that they can to ensure an even spread.

I agree it would be far too unbalanced to basically have the Force and Rebels vs 6 other teams which are diluted from 3 already Wallaby diminished squads.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't mean to express a view of shitting over all the clubs, but I struggle to understand how the clubs and by extension any Sydney and Brisbane teams seem to have any ownership over players in Perth and Melbourne, yet the franchises that pay them, who would likely have some interest in any Perth and Melbourne 3T team don't?

Don't get me wrong I understand that clubs have developed these players, but I'm sure the yearly salary these clubs are paying the players would be greater than what the clubs have put into them, so therefore, considering they are contracted to them, the clubs should have a strong say in where they play.

You say short term pain for long term gain, but I don't see Perth and Melbourne being absolute strugglers in a 3rd tier comp the best way to attract new support and players in developing markets. I see a lot of pain in that scenario and a real struggle to get any gain.

Pro's and Cons both ways - and you could sell benefits either way.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Personally I'd like to see them something like a salary cap system. Melbourne and Perth choose the cream of the players they want to keep there, but limit the amount that they can to ensure an even spread.

I agree it would be far too unbalanced to basically have the Force and Rebels vs 6 other teams which are diluted from 3 already Wallaby diminished squads.

That's what I'm talking about.
Plus I want to start seeing their local players develop and what better way than having them step up.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

But a salary cap system, costs, and then requires compliance. Something that would be good to avoid at the start

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I apologise for the comment in that post. When I just re-read it, it comes across differently than the light-hearted manner in which I wrote it. No offence intended

Thanks.

I sometimes get fired up becasue Australian rugby by rights should be undisputedly on top of the world. But self interest and laziness have destroyed the game's potential.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

An extremely dismissive view of the years of work usually put in by dedicated, capable volunteers to assist young players to learn their craft, TWaS. I am in profound disagreement with you on this.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
An extremely dismissive view of the years of work usually put in by dedicated, capable volunteers to assist young players to learn their craft, TWaS. I am in profound disagreement with you on this.

100% Agree - but it is a hard balance.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Also says that Fox wants to broadcast games on a Thursday night. Once again not such a bad problem, if they are paying $1million for an unproven product it's only fair that they try and extract the most use out of it.

They've got loig on Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Thursday for rugby looks okay to me.

Presumably their interest in generating the highest possible ratings is aligned with our interests in attracting the most viewers. Not to mention sponsors.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks.

I sometimes get fired up becasue Australian rugby by rights should be undisputedly on top of the world. But self interest and laziness have destroyed the game's potential.
We're pretty much the only place in the rugby world where the game isn't going gang busters.

T

Train Without a Station

Bruce, how do you justify your view that the clubs "own" the players? If player A is developed by Sydney Uni for example, and then is offered incentives by Manly and leaves for Manly for example, providing there is no justification to block a clearance, their association with the club ceases.

Yet if said player is developed by Sydney Uni for example, and then is offered a salary by the Melbourne Rebels to play rugby for a living, they should then be bound to represent Sydney Uni any chance they have?

I'm all for players having loyalty to their clubs. That's what Rugby is all about in my view. However you cannot discount the Melbourne Rebels for example, rights as a players employer to expect players to play games at their direction and not compete in any other endeavours of a Rugby Union nature without their approval. That is how employment contracts work for large companies, or at least those which I have worked for.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Bruce, how do you justify your view that the clubs "own" the players? If player A is developed by Sydney Uni for example, and then is offered incentives by Manly and leaves for Manly for example, providing there is no justification to block a clearance, their association with the club ceases.

Yet if said player is developed by Sydney Uni for example, and then is offered a salary by the Melbourne Rebels to play rugby for a living, they should then be bound to represent Sydney Uni any chance they have?

I'm all for players having loyalty to their clubs. That's what Rugby is all about in my view. However you cannot discount the Melbourne Rebels for example, rights as a players employer to expect players to play games at their direction and not compete in any other endeavours of a Rugby Union nature without their approval. That is how employment contracts work for large companies, or at least those which I have worked for.

It is a hard balance.

But why should the ARU fund the Force, and also The Rebs so they can then fund a very professional 3T team that may consist of yes, their "staff / players" that may have come from NSW & QLD.

Whilst NSW and QLD 3T teams don't have the same sort of funding that they are piggy backing off.

T

Train Without a Station

Because the greater their markets expand, the greater the interest in the game, the greater TV revenue the game can command from broadcasters and the greater profit (or lesser loss unfortunately now) the game can make.

The AFL are probably the best sports administration in Australia. Look at the concessions they have given to the weaker markets in order to build support.

But still I agree Dave there should be a spread in talent. The minor markets can't have a squad that's 200% the strength of the major markets teams. But this also isn't State of Origin, these players are now live in Melbourne and Perth you need to remember.

People are questioning why a player would go to either for the opportunity at the next level. Why would these players pay for accommodation and relocation to Sydney or Brisbane for a short period to play at a level lower than what they are contracted to?

Status
Not open for further replies.