• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I can't see them attracting too many Sydney/Brisbane/Canberra players

Then those players are morons. You can stay in Sydney, never get a run and watch as opportunity passes you by. Or grow a pair, leave mummy and daddy and take the opportunity to play at the highest level possible.

This is a perfect example of what's killing the game. There's economic reasons holding back competition development most certainly, but to suggest that players should wallow in obscurity rather than make a little sacrifice to play up a level...well those idiots deserve to miss out and can shoulder a tonne of responsibility for the horrible state of the game in Australia.

How does a player develop knowing that the next two players in that position aren't a threat becasue they won't get a run to prove themselves. Lunacy.:mad:

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, cant argue your post however like you, Quick Hand posts are generally structured and around taking the game in the right direction.

Whilst no games were played having it put out there that he's supporting the west in the same way TPN is would have created interest.

TPN played no games but created exposure and interest out there.

But just re read your post and I think you are seeing / saying the above anyway - cheers.

Dave, I agree with you about Quick Hands and the quality of his contributions. I was not really having a shot at him but his post triggered a reaction.

I don't speak on behalf of Sydney Uni Rugby Club although I have a lot of involvement with mentoring and advising more than a few of their players, but I believe that the constant criticism of Uni doesn't really do that club much damage but rather serves to distract people from the myriad of problems afflicting Australian - and in particular New South Wales - rugby literally from top to bottom. I'm unaware of any dimension of the game here that we can take any particular pride in.

Rather than slag the current dominant club it is far better to do what some other clubs are now actively doing, notably including the club that both Quick Hands and you identify with, and develop your own distinctive method of pursuing excellence.

Tatafu Polota Nau's involvement with Parramatta is a wonderful example of someone being publicly and passionately involved with his own grass roots, but you could never duplicate or emulate that by forcibly linking a new recruit to our code to a particular club.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
When Izzy signed with the Waratahs, there was some talk in the papers that he was not keen on being used as a marketing weapon by the NRL against AFL in western Sydney, which had led him to seek other options. If that's the case, I could believe that he was not keen on being used as a marketing weapon by the ARU against NRL or AFL in western Sydney. The Daily Terror would certainly have used his signing for either Parramatta or Penrith as a mortifying slap in the face for the beloved NRL.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah Bruce, when I re read you post - got what you meant.
As for Uni - being robbed after the bell in the semi is my only issue after a cracking game (as they always are).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If only, Quick Hands, if only . This will be remembered for generations as New South Wales rugby's - indeed Australian rugby's - great lost opportunity to correct all that was wrong with the code. And rugby administrators were in an incredibly powerful negotiating position to force young Israel to go where he was told. After all it's not as if he had any other options - other than say going back to almost any rugby league club anywhere or earning truck loads in European rugby or semi-trailer loads in Japanese rugby. Why should he have been given the right to choose which club he affiliated with, other than the fact that every other player has that right?

And it's not as if this is the first time that those greedy bastards at Camperdown have allowed already established star players to join their club. For a start there was Berrick Barnes. and before that there was . Well anyway there must have been others in previous decades.

Many astute commentators on these pages have pointed out that even if he wouldn't have necessarily been available to play with Penrith he could have attended a few junior clinics out there and signed some autographs or helped out on the barbie, or whatever. Instead of not playing any games with Sydney Uni he could have been not playing any games with Penrith or not playing any games with Parramatta, thus triggering the great renaissance of rugby in Sydney. Hopefully it's not too late to implement the Israel Folau Draft and direct him where to go.
Bruce, no criticism of Sydney Uni should be read into my post. I've said on many occasions that the board of SURFC are doing their job, i.e. working within the rules for the betterment of their club. Nor was I suggesting that his affiliation with Parra or Penrith would correct decades of complacent neglect. What I would also say is that all Waratahs players are contracted employees a wholly owned subsidiary of the NSWRU and the NSWRU has a duty to use its employees to promote the greater good. My view is that players who have played junior rugby or are students of SU should be able to play for their club, but that where players come to the Waratahs from interstate, overseas or another code, then the NSWRU should allocate them to areas of need. (I have to work where and when my boss directs as do most of us - whether we like it or not in many cases)

As you and many others have pointed out, these guys won't play many games, but their presence can send powerful signals, one being that the rugby authorities in this state actually care about what happens west of Concord.

Unfortunately his presence wouldn't have led to a renaissance of rugby in certain areas of western Sydney, as there is yet to be a naissance.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Then those players are morons. You can stay in Sydney, never get a run and watch as opportunity passes you by. Or grow a pair, leave mummy and daddy and take the opportunity to play at the highest level possible.

This is a perfect example of what's killing the game. There's economic reasons holding back competition development most certainly, but to suggest that players should wallow in obscurity rather than make a little sacrifice to play up a level.well those idiots deserve to miss out and can shoulder a tonne of responsibility for the horrible state of the game in Australia.

How does a player develop knowing that the next two players in that position aren't a threat becasue they won't get a run to prove themselves. Lunacy.:mad:
They may or may not be morons, but if you aren't a full time professional and you have a job in Sydney, it's a big ask to move to Perth for a 6-8 week competition, find a job there, get accomodation etc. These guys will have to resume their lives after 3T, they won't all get a full-time contract.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wonder however if you will get more blokes moving from Sydney or Brisbane to Perth or Melbourne, getting themselves a job, then playing in the local comp cause they see more of a chance to move to higher honors. Just a possibility.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I wonder however if you will get more blokes moving from Sydney or Brisbane to Perth or Melbourne, getting themselves a job, then playing in the local comp cause they see more of a chance to move to higher honors. Just a possibility.
A definite possibility and one which some will be in a position to do, while others won't be able to make such a big gamble. It will depend on individual circumstances and a whole range of factors.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
They may or may not be morons, but if you aren't a full time professional and you have a job in Sydney, it's a big ask to move to Perth for a 6-8 week competition, find a job there, get accomodation etc. These guys will have to resume their lives after 3T, they won't all get a full-time contract.

Either they want to play at a higher level or they don't. In the main we're not talking about 27-30 year olds who feel the need to hang onto their middle management careers. These are young men hoping to make a career out of playing rugby.

Last time I checked both Perth and Melbourne were major metropolitan centres with sufficient employment opportunites and world class universities and sporting facilities to keep these guys busy, entertained and fit when this competition isn't running. It also gives ready access for the Force and Rebels to players that can make the step up. Unless you're saying the 3rd teir has no chance to achieve it's stated goals.

Last time I checked most lower division suburban clubs had the ability to find jobs for players. Are you saying that a club with the support that this 3rd Tier in a major city would receive, would be incapable of finding work when Clubs in western sydney facing high unemployment statistcs can do it?

If an excuse for failure is sought, failure will be found. If there are players out there who want to have a go, then they will go where the opportunities are. If they stumble at the first glance of sacrifice then they're hardly the type of player that would contribute to the depth of Australian Rugby anyway.

I would have given my left one with a rusty blade,:eek: on the flight over to Perth if it meant an opportunity to play at the level to have a crack at professional rugby. Unfortunately my lack of talent and the early 90's amaturism were not supportive of such an outcome. OK it was my lack of talent.

Maybe that's why Australian Rugby is going backwards, nobody wants it badly enough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Either they want to play at a higher level or they don't. In the main we're not talking about 27-30 year olds who feel the need to hang onto their middle management careers. These are young men hoping to make a career out of playing rugby.

Last time I checked both Perth and Melbourne were major metropolitan centres with sufficient employment opportunites and world class universities and sporting facilities to keep these guys busy, entertained and fit when this competition isn't running. It also gives ready access for the Force and Rebels to players that can make the step up. Unless you're saying the 3rd teir has no chance to achieve it's stated goals.

Last time I checked most lower division suburban clubs had the ability to find jobs for players. Are you saying that a club with the support that this 3rd Tier in a major city would receive, would be incapable of finding work when Clubs in western sydney facing high unemployment statistcs can do it?

If an excuse for failure is sought, failure will be found. If there are players out there who want to have a go, then they will go where the opportunities are. If they stumble at the first glance of sacrifice then they're hardly the type of player that would contribute to the depth of Australian Rugby anyway.

I would have given my left one with a rusty blade,:eek: on the flight over to Perth if it meant an opportunity to play at the level to have a crack at professional rugby. Unfortunately my lack of talent and the early 90's amaturism were not supportive of such an outcome. OK it was my lack of talent.

Maybe that's why Australian Rugby is going backwards, nobody wants it badly enough.
Geez, you're being a bit harsh on people you don't even know. Maybe you should open an employment agency, you seem to have no trouble finding jobs for people. Always dangerous to assume that everyone is the same as you.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I didn't think expecting players given the opportunity to play elite sport wanting to be elite sportsmen was a leap. I apologize for assuming Perth and Melbourne as administrations would be less capable than suburban rugby clubs in finding jobs for players.

I should, like you, assume that those cities are incapable of supporting rugby and rugby players.....but that would just be rude

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
QH,

I'm sorry for the curtness of my response but you were sarcastic about me directly. I made no mention of anybody that I don't know and was making a comment about the lack of hunger that inhibits Australian rugby. If you look at the academy system and all the perks of playing representative rugby it irks the crap out if me that my tax dollars and subscription fees and ticket money contributes to players who think moving interstate for a chance to play professional sport is too onerous.

Australian rugby has not got a hope in hell if players are not going to grab opportunities with both hands when they come along.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Don't worry RC. I know from experience that these clubs can assist in finding both employment and accommodation for players they really want to come over. Before a major turn of events in 2009 I was organising to move down from Karratha (NW WA) to Perth to go back to University. I contacted a couple of clubs about my playing experience more to find somewhere to play in 2010.

I was offered work and hep finding accommodation and I quit playing when I was 19 having only played grade Colts. If you are good enough the option is open.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH,

I'm sorry for the curtness of my response but you were sarcastic about me directly. I made no mention of anybody that I don't know and was making a comment about the lack of hunger that inhibits Australian rugby. If you look at the academy system and all the perks of playing representative rugby it irks the crap out if me that my tax dollars and subscription fees and ticket money contributes to players who think moving interstate for a chance to play professional sport is too onerous.

Australian rugby has not got a hope in hell if players are not going to grab opportunities with both hands when they come along.
I apologise for the comment in that post. When I just re-read it, it comes across differently than the light-hearted manner in which I wrote it. No offence intended

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I know quite a few players who would happily move around for a chance to play at a higher level. Lots of them work in low skilled roles so they are used to changing jobs when work dries up. They would see this in a similar light but with a chance to showcase their rugby skills.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I know quite a few players who would happily move around for a chance to play at a higher level. Lots of them work in low skilled roles so they are used to changing jobs when work dries up. They would see this in a similar light but with a chance to showcase their rugby skills.
I hope you're right and I hope they do. The only point I was trying to make earlier is that some people might not have that flexibility in their lives for a whole host of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.