• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2024 Super Rugby Under 16 and 19 series (29th Sept - 3rd Nov)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
For the Brumbies, I thought Joe Dillon (N0 10) and Beau Morrison (No 8) were outstanding. The US Lock Ollie Aylmer, winger Silas Pilot, replacement Hooker Bailey Buesnel and No 13 Malakye Enasio were all very good. Coincidentally, after all the discussion on another thread recently about Al Baxter, an interesting player was Al's son Finn Baxter at LHP, just like his old man. Scored a bloody good try and was busy until replaced with about 15 to go.

Brumbies scored 10 tries to 3 but left a lot of points on the ground with poor goal kicking.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Dillon is a good 10. Very creative and plays what's in front of him every time. I have to admit I'm biased having watched him for a long time through School Rugby but he's always performed when not being the most highly touted like the Fowlers who also played well. He doesn't ooze athleticism which we seem to get caught up on at time but hes just a footy player.

What happened in the 16s between the Force and Brums. I know it's 1 point and bloody well done to the Force but these were once upon a time a given for the Brums.

Standouts in games today?
Hard to say for the Tahs v Rebels as it was so lopsided but the work rate of guys like Doyle and the pace out wide for NSW looked good to watch. 16s even harder when it's 104/0 but the more I think about it the more normal it sadly is. If a Syd or Bris 1st XV played a Vic one it'd probably be the same score.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Standouts in games today?
Doyle, the captain and 8 for NSW is a hard lad and Brendan Palmer on the wing was electric. Toughest choice for higher honors will be in the centres as there were a number of good players, including both Force boys. Silas Pilot was awesome on attack, super quick, tough and a big lad who really injects some urgency when he sniffs an opportunity, needs some work on his D though. Morrison had a big game but probably more a 6 than 8.
Tahs v Brumbies will be a good clash.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Agree it will be. So many having played against each other and with each other for a long time through Schools in Sydney.

Is there a link with Oakhill and the Brumbies? Four Oakhill boys in the Brums 16s. Usually less if any movement in the 16s between states for players.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree it will be. So many having played against each other and with each other for a long time through Schools in Sydney.

Is there a link with Oakhill and the Brumbies? Four Oakhill boys in the Brums 16s. Usually less if any movement in the 16s between states for players.
Three Knox boys in the 19's, plus Jarrah Mcleod just aged out but scored in Royals GF victory.

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
From a Western Force point of view a bit of mixed day out for the two teams.

Under 16's:
The forwards had a good outing led by prop and skipper Dozion Laupama, and the three loose forwards RJ Van Der Merwe, Joel Ockenden, and Rhymen Tusi. Centre Chase Bunce will also be one to keep an eye on over the next few weeks. Overall while a bit scrappy they scapped well enough to get over the line in a match that could have gone either way.

Under 19's:
Started well enough but got overwhelmed by a very good and cohesive Brumbies outfit. Hooker Ollie Barrett had a decent outing together with Finn Prass, Peni Naqau and Boston Fakafanua, however I was most impressed with Oakley Pearce and it will be good to see how he develops over the next few weeks.

Bulldogsforlife

Frank Row (1)
After watching Dillon recently. I think he’s becoming more of a 12. Big body, his solid ball skills are good. Just his kicking and (goal kicking) / decision making is questionable. Very flarey. Rocks and diamonds

Cole

Stan Wickham (3)
After watching Dillon recently. I think he’s becoming more of a 12. Big body, his solid ball skills are good. Just his kicking and (goal kicking) / decision making is questionable. Very flarey. Rocks and diamonds
I was fairly unimpressed by Dillon on the weekend, surprised to read others praising him so much, but that opinions for you, everyone has one. I thought for the Brums backs Wilcox was quiet by his standards but showed glimpses of what he can do, but Pilot was the real weapon in attack for them, looked dangerous all afternoon. But for me it was their forwards which out muscled the Force boys pretty comprehensively and where the game was won

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's what you'll get with him at 10. He may have a rogue kick or pass in him but he'll set up or unlock some players around him that otherwise wouldn't be on. Don't know if he has the running game for 12 as in ability to hit it up but yes his physique isn't the nippy slight 10s.
Three Knox boys in the 19's, plus Jarrah Mcleod just aged out but scored in Royals GF victory.
Normal in the 19s for the Brums to be full of Sydney kids but just surprised me to see four Oakhill and a Shore boy in the 16s. Guess it's good if it means the best players get into the tournament.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Brumbies U19s forwards were strong. Two rolling maul tries and scrum dominance. Force owned the lineout. But in open play the Brumbies were just too big and too strong up front.

The backs were pretty sharp on both sides in attack, but the Brumbies had the players and skills, speed etc to put on length of the field tries. Ten tries says it all.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I was fairly unimpressed by Dillon on the weekend, surprised to read others praising him so much, but that opinions for you, everyone has one. I thought for the Brums backs Wilcox was quiet by his standards but showed glimpses of what he can do, but Pilot was the real weapon in attack for them, looked dangerous all afternoon. But for me it was their forwards which out muscled the Force boys pretty comprehensively and where the game was won
I particularly liked Dillon's vision and ability to take advantage of opportunities. Had a hand in most, maybe all, of the tries scored by the backs and his ability to see players in space and get the ball to them via long passes on target was impressive. I'd hope he stays at 10. Looks a nuggety type but standing next the Debreczini he was actually taller than the impression you get by his build. He also survived and immediately jumped to his feet after one of the most awesome one on one hits of the game. YC to the Force player involved.

Rhino_rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Brumbies U19s forwards were strong. Two rolling maul tries and scrum dominance. Force owned the lineout. But in open play the Brumbies were just too big and too strong up front.

The backs were pretty sharp on both sides in attack, but the Brumbies had the players and skills, speed etc to put on length of the field tries. Ten tries says it all.
It sounds like the Brumbies U19s were dominant, especially in the forwards. With two rolling maul tries and scrum dominance, they really controlled the physical side of the game. The Force owning the lineout shows they had some good set-piece work, but it seems the Brumbies were just too powerful in open play.

The backs from both teams were impressive, but the Brumbies' ability to convert that strength into speed and skill to score length-of-the-field tries clearly made the difference. Scoring ten tries is a strong statement of their overall superiority!

Bulldogsforlife

Frank Row (1)
I particularly liked Dillon's vision and ability to take advantage of opportunities. Had a hand in most, maybe all, of the tries scored by the backs and his ability to see players in space and get the ball to them via long passes on target was impressive. I'd hope he stays at 10. Looks a nuggety type but standing next the Debreczini he was actually taller than the impression you get by his build. He also survived and immediately jumped to his feet after one of the most awesome one on one hits of the game. YC to the Force player involved.
According to my source. Quality source too. Fowler and Cullen Grey had a falling out with Nathan Grey during the U20’s Championship earlier this year in the Sunshine Coast. It is believed to have happened after the South Africa game. Of course Harry MP (Moana Pasifika) started the following game with Fowler on the bench, but not getting on. Both not included in World Cup squad. Would love to know what this is about?

Cole

Stan Wickham (3)
According to my source. Quality source too. Fowler and Cullen Grey had a falling out with Nathan Grey during the U20’s Championship earlier this year in the Sunshine Coast. It is believed to have happened after the South Africa game. Of course Harry MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) started the following game with Fowler on the bench, but not getting on. Both not included in World Cup squad. Would love to know what this is about?
Thats interesting. It seemed odd that neither went to SA for the world cup and they brought Dillon in, seemingly out of nowhere as he hadn't been involved in the camps to my knowledge. I thought Cullen Gray looked a good player and was surprised he didn't get more opportunity

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Don't know where the appropriate place is for this, however here's the Australia U18s team

Australia U18 vs. New Zealand Barbarians
St Paul's Collegiate School, Hamilton

11am AEST (2pm local) Wednesday 2 October

1. Kingsley Uys - The Southport School

2. John Grenfell - Nudgee College

3. Edwin Langi - Eastern Suburbs Rugby Club

4. Will Ross - Padua College

5. Isaac Fonua - The King's School

6. Eli Langi - Brisbane State High School

7. Tom Robinson (c) - UQ Rugby Club

8. Heinz Lemoto - The Scots College

9. Angus Grover - St Igantius College, Riverview

10. Jonty Fowler - St Joseph's College

11. Heamasi Makasini - Newington College

12. Josh Takai - Brothers Rugby Club

13. Frankie Goldsbrough (vc) - Easts Rugby Club

14. Tom Howard - Marist College Ashgrove

15. Rex Bassingthwaighte - The Shore School

Reserves

16. Ewald Kruger - GPS Rugby Club

17. Nick Hill - Barker College

18. Jonah Rangiwai - The Southport School

19. Avery Thomson - GPS Rugby Club

20. Luca Cleverley - Newington College

21. Sam Blank - St Augustine's College

22. Finn Mackay - St Laurence's College

23. Zach Fittler - The Scots College

Also the game will be streamed here:

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Don't know where the appropriate place is for this, however here's the Australia U18s team

Australia U18 vs. New Zealand Barbarians
St Paul's Collegiate School, Hamilton

11am AEST (2pm local) Wednesday 2 October

1. Kingsley Uys - The Southport School

2. John Grenfell - Nudgee College

3. Edwin Langi - Eastern Suburbs Rugby Club

4. Will Ross - Padua College

5. Isaac Fonua - The King's School

6. Eli Langi - Brisbane State High School

7. Tom Robinson (c) - UQ Rugby Club

8. Heinz Lemoto - The Scots College

9. Angus Grover - St Igantius College, Riverview

10. Jonty Fowler - St Joseph's College

11. Heamasi Makasini - Newington College

12. Josh Takai - Brothers Rugby Club

13. Frankie Goldsbrough (vc) - Easts Rugby Club

14. Tom Howard - Marist College Ashgrove

15. Rex Bassingthwaighte - The Shore School

Reserves

16. Ewald Kruger - GPS Rugby Club

17. Nick Hill - Barker College

18. Jonah Rangiwai - The Southport School

19. Avery Thomson - GPS Rugby Club

20. Luca Cleverley - Newington College

21. Sam Blank - St Augustine's College

22. Finn Mackay - St Laurence's College

23. Zach Fittler - The Scots College

Also the game will be streamed here:
Is Fowler the younger brother of the Rebels Fowler? (Where did he end up?)

And are the Langis related?

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
Rugby.com.au's Super Rugby U16's Team of The Week

1. Dozion Laupama (Western Force)

2. Oliver Smith (NSW Waratahs)

3. Rueben Sulusulumaivasa (Western Force)

4. Charlie Grant (NSW Waratahs)

5. Bareek Kleine-Deters Ausage (Western Force)

6. Aston Weir (NSW Waratahs)

7. RJ van der Merwe (Western Force)

8. Halaliku Lauhingoa (Melbourne Rebels)

9. Charles McBaron (ACT Brumbies)

10. Saxon Gaw (NSW Waratahs)

11. Samuela Sorovi (NSW Waratahs)

12. Tomas Jensen (ACT Brumbies)

13. Ashton Large (NSW Waratahs)

14. Creighton Meafou (NSW Waratahs)

15. Jack Kalms (NSW Waratahs)

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
Rugby.com.au's Super Rugby U19's Team of The Week

1. Finn Baxter (ACT Brumbies)

2. Ollie Barrett (Western Force)