• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2024 Super Rugby Under 16 and 19 series (29th Sept - 3rd Nov)

Steve_Grey

Jimmy Flynn (14)
How do you think the Rebels and Force will go
I think they will both struggle against NSW, QLD and ACT.

I expect ACT to be competitive, but this year's NSW backs look a league above last year.

BackRow will be key - NSW Durbridge spends a lot of time looking for pilfers often to the detriment of support running and tackling. Interested to see the BackRow contests this year - we really need to find a big mongrel #8 IMO.

yoursinrugby

Peter Burge (5)
I personally think Durbridge is very predictable on how he hunts for his pilfers and the better teams will be ready to clean him out
For Tahs they’re then down a man in defense
Not taking anything away from him he’s a great player

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Could say a similar thing about Luke Reimer for the Brumbies though. If he gets a few pilfers or penalties it changes the game much more. Forces opposition to over commit at ruck time as well.

get what your'e saying though.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I personally think Durbridge is very predictable on how he hunts for his pilfers and the better teams will be ready to clean him out
For Tahs they’re then down a man in defense
Not taking anything away from him he’s a great player
I don't get this.

If the opposition is sending at least one man to clean (often 2) then you aren't a man down in defence.

Steve_Grey

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't get this.

If the opposition is sending at least one man to clean (often 2) then you aren't a man down in defence.
It's true - opposition will need to counter his pilfer skills - the flip side is he spends so much time hunting and waiting for the pilfer opportunity, that he is not tackling or counter rucking, which means other players need to do that work for him, and the knock-on effects are tangible.

It works when you are dominant and can play 7 man forwards rugby, but just like last year where NSW U19s tried to play 6 man forwards rugby (#7 and #6 were mostly absent), you get found out against stronger sides.

I think though this year, overall NSW U19s will be too strong, especially in the back line.

Rhino_rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
They'll be able to put a good front row on the paddock but it's the second rowers we have that are really backrow height. Doyle the NSW 8 could end up in the row given hes listed at 197cm.

Hopefully one of those lanky freaks from QLD pops up which seems to happen every couple of years.

Not sure about any in the U18s but there will be a couple from that side get picked in the 20s. My picks would be Brial the 8 and obviously a guy like Goldsbrough who is seemingly a teenager forever and there last year.
You’re spot on about the front row looking solid, but the second row does raise some questions, especially with height considerations. Doyle stepping in at 197cm could definitely give us some versatility, and it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

It’s true, those lanky QLD players always seem to pop up out of nowhere—hopefully, we see some emerging talent soon! As for the U18s, Brial and Goldsbrough are great picks; both have shown a lot of promise. Goldsbrough might feel like he’s been around forever, but his experience will be invaluable. It’ll be exciting to see how the selections pan out for the 20s!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Who owns the Melbourne Rebels IP at the moment?

MRRU haven't officially wound up yet right?
Don't know who owns the Rebels IP but the U16 and U18 announcements aren't being done via the Rebel social media like the other franchises. It looks it's done via Rugby Victoria. Whether that means anything, I have no idea lol