• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I think we need an updated injury list to help settle some selections:

Injured:
Horwill
Palu
McCabe
Tomane
Tapaui (?)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Lealifano
Palmer

Returning from injury (only considered for bench)
Mitchell
Cooper (?)
Turner (?)

Fully fit not in squad:
Simmons
Douglas
Mowen
Alexander (?)

Some-one finish it please.
Taps isn't injured he was playing club footy last Sat.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think we need an updated injury list to help settle some selections:

Injured:
Horwill
Palu
McCabe
Tomane
Tapaui (?)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Lealifano
Palmer
White

Returning from injury (only considered for bench)
Mitchell
Cooper (?)
Turner (?)

Fully fit not in squad:
Simmons
Douglas
Mowen
Alexander (?)

Some-one finish it please.

Not sure if you're confusing "squad" and "match day 22", but Simmons is in both, while Douglas and Alexander are in the 30-man squad.

White, while in the 30-man squad, is apparently scheduled for shoulder surgery and was thus not really likely to get selected, except for the bench if Phipps or Genia went down at training (that's my understanding).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
A little bit reductio ad absurdam there champ but I'm glad you've mentioned Ireland Wales, as I figure they're about on par with the Wallabies All Blacks at the moment. There'll be a fair bit of movement in the IRB rankings this post-RWC year, will be interesting to see where the two end up in the wash.

See what I did? Still doesn't make it so.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Why? As a top three nation, we should expect to have the capability to beat both of the other top three teams. If we don't, then why the hell do we play in this competition? We beat the All Blacks last year and the Boks thrice, so it's not an entirely unreasonable expectation.

Remind me who was at 10 when this happened?

Just after we watch the video interview with Deans a few pages back telling us how last year the backline looked as good as it ever has while he has been in charge he goes and drops the chief playmaker. Who does he think runs the backline - the 9 or 12?

I don't think Deans knows what he wants from this side or has a clue how to beat the AB's. A coach dropping the playmaker who was at 10 when he claims his backline was at its best, then bemoans 'x-factor' players that offer nothing of substance. What the fuck is he on?

P

Paradox

Burst out laughing when I saw the starting lineup...in a kind of maniacal fashion. This side "seems" to be picked to win games by penalties. Tough defense (in theory), Barnes to kick the corners, and Oz to win their set piece whilst also attempting to put New Zealand's under pressure. However, Deans has selected TPN whose throwing is still suspect and in doing so has overlooked the best set piece hooker in the country in Moore. One of many baffling decisions by Deans. Big mistake not to pick Quade (and put Barnes to 12 and A Finger/Taps to 13). If there are defensive issues with the NZ centre pairing, Quade would have been the man to exploit them. Mitchell's selection on the bench puts to rest any theories about Deans not selecting players due to match fitness concerns.

Deans has had this side in training for a long time. No excuses. I'll be amazed if we win this against an incredibly explosive All Black side. The Genia, Ioane and Beale combo needs to be its absolute best.

Q

Quade Cheapshot

A little bit reductio ad absurdam there champ but I'm glad you've mentioned Ireland Wales, as I figure they're about on par with the Wallabies All Blacks at the moment. There'll be a fair bit of movement in the IRB rankings this post-RWC year, will be interesting to see where the two end up in the wash.​
See what I did? Still doesn't make it so.

Sat, 17 Sep 2011 AUS v IRE 6-15 0:0 0-4 Eden Park, Auckland
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 AUS v IRE 22-15 2:0 4-1 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 AUS v IRE 20-20 2:2 2-2 Croke Park, Dublin
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 AUS v IRE 18-12 2:2 4-1 Colonial Stadium, Melbourne
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 AUS v IRE 6-21 0:2 0-4 Lansdowne Rd, Dublin

Played 5 Wow 2 Drawn 1 Lost 2.

See what I just did there? Showed that it is in fact, actually so.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)

Yeah, for all Quades faults and failures, the cupboard is pretty bare in 3N without him at 10.

Anyway, RD has set the scene to roll him back in after we take a heap of punches in round 1.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The injury to McCabe opened the door to bring Cooper back in at 10 and move Barnes to 12, but the 3-0 win against Wales and the absence of Cooper in that series as he was coming back from injury was always going to mean that Barnes was ahead of Cooper on the current pecking order.

From a rational/defendable position as far as Deans and the rest of the ARU management go, it makes more sense to pick the player that worked most recently than put Cooper back in and then face the prospect of returning to Barnes if Cooper didn't work out.

If Cooper hadn't been injured for the first half of the year there is no doubt he'd have played 10 in all those tests and be the 10 for the Rugby Championship.

W

Worldcupnut

Wow, 1st time that I've looked at line up. 8 Waratahs in the starting 15! Weren't they roundly criticised for being pathetic this year? Did I miss something? Is Dwyer the Wallabies coach again?? Also, does anyone know who the Match Officials are? It's incredibly difficult to locate that information.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Sat, 17 Sep 2011 AUS v IRE 6-15 0:0 0-4 Eden Park, Auckland
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 AUS v IRE 22-15 2:0 4-1 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 AUS v IRE 20-20 2:2 2-2 Croke Park, Dublin
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 AUS v IRE 18-12 2:2 4-1 Colonial Stadium, Melbourne
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 AUS v IRE 6-21 0:2 0-4 Lansdowne Rd, Dublin

Played 5 Wow 2 Drawn 1 Lost 2.

See what I just did there? Showed that it is in fact, actually so.

And New Zealand is 4-2 against France in the same time period, and almost made that 3-3 in Auckland last year. It doesn't mean France is almost as good.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Just after we watch the video interview with Deans a few pages back telling us how last year the backline looked as good as it ever has while he has been in charge he goes and drops the chief playmaker. Who does he think runs the backline - the 9 or 12?

I don't think Deans knows what he wants from this side or has a clue how to beat the AB's. A coach dropping the playmaker who was at 10 when he claims his backline was at its best, then bemoans 'x-factor' players that offer nothing of substance. What the fuck is he on?

Quite right. I'm worried that we'll offer nothing in attack this weekend as a result of not picking Cooper. Maybe after the RWC last year Deans has binned him as a starter forever more.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Burst out laughing when I saw the starting lineup.in a kind of maniacal fashion. This side "seems" to be picked to win games by penalties. Tough defense (in theory), Barnes to kick the corners, and Oz to win their set piece whilst also attempting to put New Zealand's under pressure. .

In other words, not playing to the strengths of Australian rugby and its playing group. I'll be astonished if we pull this off on the weekend.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wow, 1st time that I've looked at line up. 8 Waratahs in the starting 15! Weren't they roundly criticised for being pathetic this year? Did I miss something? Is Dwyer the Wallabies coach again?? Also, does anyone know who the Match Officials are? It's incredibly difficult to locate that information.

• AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is too versatile and too classy to be left out of the squad, deserves his starting spot.
• Rob Horne, while not being everyone's favourite, has held the 13 jersey for a while now and actually brings a bit of stability to the backline (given that we've just lost our inside centre)
• Berrick barnes deserves to be in the squad, at 10 or 12 given recent performances in the internationals
• Dennis deserves to start given recent form and consistency
• Timani IMO doesn't have a work rate worthy of starting so I'll give you that one.
• Kepu deserves to be there
• TPN and Moore are reasonably interchangeable, TPN starts, smashes some bodies and then Moore comes on or Moore starts and TPN makes a few bullocking runs in the last 20. Although given the way Deans uses his bench, we're probably better off having TPN knock himself out around the 60 minute mark allowing Moore to run on.
• Robinson - deserves his spot.

Yes! 8 Waratahs in the starting 15. However really only Timani and possibly Horne (although his often preferred replacement is filling in at inside centre so not really) are debatable with any sort of integrity.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Burst out laughing when I saw the starting lineup.in a kind of maniacal fashion. This side "seems" to be picked to win games by penalties. Tough defense (in theory), Barnes to kick the corners, and Oz to win their set piece whilst also attempting to put New Zealand's under pressure. However, Deans has selected TPN whose throwing is still suspect and in doing so has overlooked the best set piece hooker in the country in Moore. One of many baffling decisions by Deans. Big mistake not to pick Quade (and put Barnes to 12 and A Finger/Taps to 13). If there are defensive issues with the NZ centre pairing, Quade would have been the man to exploit them. Mitchell's selection on the bench puts to rest any theories about Deans not selecting players due to match fitness concerns.

Isn't this the type of tactics that didn't work for us against the All Blacks in the RWC. I am not saying it won't work this time, in fact, it possibly could, probably won't, but with the Wallabies riding their wave from the Wales series using similar tactics, this is the best chance of these tactics ever working for us against the All Blacks. If our forwards step up like the Irish did in Game 2, there is a chance we could win this game, using those tactics. Deans' game plan and backline selection is all based on our forwards, dominating the scrum, lineouts and breakdown and using defence as a form of attack. Big call, as it is rare for our forwards to dominate for more than 40 minutes. The problem is, if our defence isn't up to the task, we don't really have anything to fall back on to launch attacking play from. Our hopes ride on Defence, Counter Attack and penalties.

I couldn't agree more regarding Cooper. If ever there was a player who could put a new pairing at sixes and sevens it is Cooper. Not only through his footwork and taking on the line, but also his accurate short and long range passing. He is the only player in Australia who can create space through his passing, especially with his long cut out passes. Cooper's accurate passing was sorely missed in the series against Wales.

Not only Mitchell's selection, but also the fact he incluuded Samo on the bench, despite Samo missing most of the season due to poor fitness and when he was selected played from the bench. He also didn't seem to have any qualms about rushing an under done Belae back into the side for the 3rd test, just like he will have no qualms about selecting McCabe and O'Connor in the 22 when they return.

Q

Quade Cheapshot

And New Zealand is 4-2 against France in the same time period, and almost made that 3-3 in Auckland last year. It doesn't mean France is almost as good.

Actually NZ are 8-2 over the same time period but again, don't let the facts get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.