• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
In terms of the refereeing, I'm quite keen to see how Rolland goes.

The Super Rugby final saw some interesting obstructive play from the Chiefs, and while Steve Walsh seemed on top of some of it I have a general feeling enough coaches have started to complain about the tactics that referee's will start penalising it more and more.

Not sure how Rolland will play it, but that combined with his interpretation of "sealing" or "off feet" at the breakdown will probably decide how the game plays out.

Usually matches on Australian soil are a little more open and the breakdown is policed a little harder trying to open the game compared to matches on NZ soil where a little more is tolerated at the breakdown. I'm not sure why this is the case, but it happens every year.

Rolland was at one point the best referee in the world, but at least in the last two years his interpretations at the breakdown especially have faltered. Regardless he's pretty balanced in the way he approaches the contest so I hope we get a good game as a result.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I really have no idea what type of game Deans plans to play with this team, but going on past experience I can only assume he has no plan.
- Barnes at first receiver, okay fair enough, but why no Cooper on the bench. Looking at players in our 22 I honestly cant see where we are going to win this game. Love him or hate him, Cooper can create that point of difference between two sides. If we need to go all out attack in the second half, Cooper undoubtably improve our chances for scoring tries.
- Timani.. haha wtf. there is really just no way for Deans to justify this selection. Timani hasn't done anything to deserve a Wallabies cap. He make neither the impact nor gives the effect required to play for his Country. he will be an easy target for the All Blacks. Happy to be proven wrong.
- Samo lol (im literally laughing out loud) hasn't he been playing club rugby for most of the year? Serious this is an insult to a guy like Mowen who cant even crack the squad.
- The centre pair I kinda understand given the players that are out injured (OConnor, McCabe, Taps). but it just reeks of a team that intends to defend all night. Sorry Kiwi Deans but that is not the aussie mentally... lets have a crack.

- not picking cooper, picking defensive minded players and choosing big block heads that havent earned their place and lack work rate shows a lack of national pride in what it mean to be a Wallabies. We should be seeing guys like Mowen, Shatz and Pyle go out there and give 110% for their jersey. We should be planning to go out there and score tries not to limit the deficit. I think its high time we get rid of this Kiwi and bring some pride back to the jersey. I've lost patience with the turncoat

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That or Phipps/Samo on the wing :eek:

White unlucky TBH. Mind you, it's just warming the bench.

Hope the Tahs the players continue their form of under performing at provincial level and excelling for Australia.

White cannot be that unlucky. Phipps has been absolutely diabolical all year. It looks like White's shoulder injury, which is due to be operated on in a couple of weeks, is too severe to allow him to do anything more than hold tackle bags

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Actually NZ are 8-2 over the same time period but again, don't let the facts get in the way.

You picked the last 5 games, I picked the last 6. Australia is 5-3 against Ireland in their last 8.

Personally, I think Ireland poses some of the same problems for Australia as France does for NZ -- something of a bogey team at times. But I digress. I get the feeling you're more interested in trolling than anything else.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not sure how Rolland will play it, but that combined with his interpretation of "sealing" or "off feet" at the breakdown will probably decide how the game plays out.

Rolland and Owens are generally stricter on the "sealing off" aspect than their SH colleagues. That is just a subjective observation though. Anyway, they have named a strong team of officials so there isn't much to worry about IMO.

As for the weird looking team. I'm going to trust the coaches know what they are doing here (given they have done well so far this year). The weather forcast looks pretty bad so maybe that explains some selections. Or maybe they just want to bring all the injured players slowly back into the team without changing too much.

Oh well looking forward to it. NZ basically look like a "dream team" right now, so a win on home soil will be huge.

D train

Frank Row (1)
Berrick Barnes' selection is extremely interesting, he was clearly chosen for his kicking game. There is no point in Australia pursuing a territory based game plan as the like of Carter and Dagg will kick the Wallabies around the park all game. Poor selection Robbie, you should have stuck with Australia's strong running game plan.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
a counterpoint to the general comments along the lines of "what has such and such done to deserve selection" is that perhaps in the training squad Such and Such has trained harder, or more accurately, than his alternate. EG - maybe simmons and Douglas haven's been mroe effective than Timani at training. Or maybe Mitchell has shown a better understanding of the backline moves than Shipperly, or perhaps moore is secretly down on his lineout throwing. What we see in Super Rugby is the tip of the iceberg compared to what the coaches see

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What we see in Super Rugby is the tip of the iceberg compared to what the coaches see

Well yeah pretty much. After all it is their job to win, so they will select whoever they think can achieve this regardless of how nonsensical the team looks on paper to the general public. But it's fun to speculate I guess and that is what internet forums are for.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
a counterpoint to the general comments along the lines of "what has such and such done to deserve selection" is that perhaps in the training squad Such and Such has trained harder, or more accurately, than his alternate. EG - maybe simmons and Douglas haven's been mroe effective than Timani at training. Or maybe Mitchell has shown a better understanding of the backline moves than Shipperly, or perhaps moore is secretly down on his lineout throwing. What we see in Super Rugby is the tip of the iceberg compared to what the coaches see
this would be how to pick a team at schoolboy level if you hadnt seen them play. This is Bledisloe .... I hope the ABs pick their team the same way...no Richie or Dan because the young enthusiastic ABs train harder than the 100 test veteran who needs to preserve for the real test. Good trainers can get found out very quickly when Sonny Bill fronts them in the first 5 mins of a test.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
• AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is too versatile and too classy to be left out of the squad, deserves his starting spot.
• Rob Horne, while not being everyone's favourite, has held the 13 jersey for a while now and actually brings a bit of stability to the backline (given that we've just lost our inside centre)
• Berrick barnes deserves to be in the squad, at 10 or 12 given recent performances in the internationals
• Dennis deserves to start given recent form and consistency
• Timani IMO doesn't have a work rate worthy of starting so I'll give you that one.
• Kepu deserves to be there
• TPN and Moore are reasonably interchangeable, TPN starts, smashes some bodies and then Moore comes on or Moore starts and TPN makes a few bullocking runs in the last 20. Although given the way Deans uses his bench, we're probably better off having TPN knock himself out around the 60 minute mark allowing Moore to run on.
• Robinson - deserves his spot.

Yes! 8 Waratahs in the starting 15. However really only Timani and possibly Horne (although his often preferred replacement is filling in at inside centre so not really) are debatable with any sort of integrity.
Talk a little about Robinson's form.
I just don't see the Ben Robinson of old, and would prefer Slipper at loosehead.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
...snip....
Also, does anyone know who the Match Officials are? It's incredibly difficult to locate that information.

Referee Appointments for The Rugby Championship

Click here for full detail or here

As it impacts on the Men in Gold

18 Aug Australia v New Zealand, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, Ref A. Rolland (IRFU), AR1 N. Owens (WRU), AR2 L. Van Der Merwe (SARU), TMO M. Goddard (ARU)

25 Aug New Zealand v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland, Ref N. Owens (WRU), AR1 A. Rolland (IRFU), AR2 L. Van Der Merwe (SARU), TMO B. Skeen (NZRU)

8 Sep Australia v South Africa, Patersons Stadium, Perth, Ref N. Owens (WRU), AR1 W. Barnes (RFU), AR2 G. Jackson (NZRU), TMO M. Goddard (ARU)

15 Sep Australia v Argentina, Skilled Park, Gold Coast, Ref W. Barnes (RFU), AR1 N. Owens (WRU), AR2 G. Jackson (NZRU), M. Goddard (ARU)

29 Sep South Africa v Australia, Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria, Ref A. Rolland (IRFU), AR1 R. Poite (FFR), AR2 G. Garner (RFU), TMO S. Veldsman (SARU)

6 Oct Argentina v Australia, Estadio Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario, Ref C. Joubert (SARU), AR1 J. Peyper (SARU), AR2 P. Gauzere (FFR), TMO UAR appt

20 Oct Bledisloe Cup, Australia v New Zealand, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Ref C. Joubert (SARU), AR1 J. Peyper (SARU), AR2 L. Van Der Merwe (SARU), TMO M. Goddard (ARU)

J

Jiggles

Larkham retired along time ago. Have we used a running game since?

The Larkham era Wallabies didn't play running rugby either. It was mistake free, build pressure and pounce on the opposition's errors rugby.

Australian Running Rugby is up there with The tooth fairy, Peter Pan and Tony Woodcock as the biggest myths of all time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
A little birdy told me that Mitchell isn't 100% fit and hasn't even been doing contact work. Can anyone confirm?

I also believe there are player/s outside the squad that are training with the team and are fully kitted up and ready to roll.

This might not be the final 22 for this weekend.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
this would be how to pick a team at schoolboy level if you hadnt seen them play. This is Bledisloe .. I hope the ABs pick their team the same way.no Richie or Dan because the young enthusiastic ABs train harder than the 100 test veteran who needs to preserve for the real test. Good trainers can get found out very quickly when Sonny Bill fronts them in the first 5 mins of a test.

The big difference is that carter and McCaw are both proven Test players. To have a 'hard trainer' beat them out of a position is ridiculous.

The issue the Wallabies have is that they don't have as many established proven players at Test level. You replace Timani with Simmons...meh. They're both pretty fresh at Test level. Barnes and Cooper? Barnes just won MoTM twice against the 6 Nations champs. Cooper....1 3N against SA and AB teams that seemed more focussed and comitted to RWC campaign. A Super Rugby title. And he's coming back from a long injury delay (I would have at least put him on the bench tho). Rob Horne, Tapuai, Faainga....they are all fairly new to Test rugby and none have set the world on fire to truely stake claims to a postion.

So who is the Wallaby Test veteran who has been hard done-by? Which one lost his place to the hard-training new comer?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Why the miserable posts?

I bet the Darkness thought that they would only have to run on to the oval to win this game as well:

New Zealand vs New Zealand Juniors at Carisbrook
Dunedin, New Zealand
Wednesday, 1 August 1973

15 J. F. Karam

14 T. G. Morrison
13 I. A. Hurst
12 R. M. Parkinson
11 G. B. Batty
10 J. P. Dougan
9 I. N. Stevens
8 B. Holmes
7 K. W. Stewart
6 I. A. Kirkpatrick (C)
G. J. Whiting

4 S. C. Strahan
3 K. K. Lambert
2 R. W. Norton
1 M. G. Jones

Fulltime: New Zealand 10, New Zealand Juniors 14
Halftime: New Zealand 10, New Zealand Juniors 7
Attendance: 25000
Conditions: Weather good, ground soft

Source: http://www.rugbymuseum.co.nz/teamsheet.asp?level1=All_Blacks&Level2=ABC&MT_ID=1657

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The Larkham era Wallabies didn't play running rugby either. It was mistake free, build pressure and pounce on the opposition's errors rugby.

Australian Running Rugby is up there with The tooth fairy, Peter Pan and Tony Woodcock as the biggest myths of all time.

Larkham ran. I agree it was about holding into the ball though. We had a terrible kicking game, execution was almost as bad as it is today.

I'm not even sure what people class "running rugby" as anymore.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
These selections are getting beyond a joke now.

How long until the players lose faith in their coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.