• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
In terms of the overall Rugby Championship, keeping the score down would seem sensible.

2012 is about avoiding the ignominy of the wooden spoon for the Wallabies. A reasonable expectation is to share the home and away with the Argies and target the match in Perth against the Bok to get up into third place.

A sniff at second place might come down to points differential with the Bok.

I would prefer it if we take the attitude that we are trying to win every game. Trying to avoid the wooden spoon is a sure fire way to get it. I am not sure we have the cattle to shut the ABs down defensively. And if we are going to lose, would prefer we going down having a crack at attack, rather than playing conservatively and still losing by 5 or 7. Loss is a loss.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
In terms of the overall Rugby Championship, keeping the score down would seem sensible.

2012 is about avoiding the ignominy of the wooden spoon for the Wallabies. A reasonable expectation is to share the home and away with the Argies and target the match in Perth against the Bok to get up into third place.

A sniff at second place might come down to points differential with the Bok.

Is that you, Richard Loe?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Waratahs have been trying not to lose matches for years and look at all the silverware it has bought them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Richard Loe agrees.
Do I need to see a doctor: I am completely underwhelmed by the Bledisloe even though I have seats on half way? (and they cost me near enough to $800)

....And when it turns out like the July 2000 Test at the same venue between the same nations, you will be very happy with the $800 bargain. :)

Junior Jarses kindly shouted me tickets to that match for my birthday, courtesy of La Jarse.
Same thing this time around, although now with a couple of them in the workplace, I haven't had to fund my own birthday present.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Words fail me. That is just about the worst backline from a tactical point of view that we could have selected. It's not the players picked, it's the formation and what it tells us about how we are approaching the game. The strategy appears to be trying to defend our way to victory.

Pretty happy with the pack though. Slipper in for Alexander is a good call on the bench too.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You could argue for Simmons over Timani, but I don't think Rob has really seized his opportunities with both hands. (Mind you, I'd be happy if Timani could just catch the ball with both hands...)

Q

Quade Cheapshot

I would prefer it if we take the attitude that we are trying to win every game. Trying to avoid the wooden spoon is a sure fire way to get it. I am not sure we have the cattle to shut the ABs down defensively. And if we are going to lose, would prefer we going down having a crack at attack, rather than playing conservatively and still losing by 5 or 7. Loss is a loss.

Admirable endeavour but is it realistic? My view is that 4th would be a fail, 3rd would be a pass and 2nd would be an above expectations.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
You could argue for Simmons over Timani, but I don't think Rob has really seized his opportunities with both hands. (Mind you, I'd be happy if Timani could just catch the ball with both hands.)

Or we could have gone with Douglas. When you play the All Blacks you can't carry any lazy deadweights. Timani has shown time and time again that he doesn't have the current fitness or tempo to keep up with the game.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Reading my rant I thought i should point out that I am not unaccustomed to losing to better teams at school,club ,state(ooohhh) or national level. So thats not the issue. The issue is ...if you have the x factors capable of winning against the best in the world and you choose not to use them and you lose then you should take full responsibility and learn. Cooper with Barnes outside was a lesson learned at the RWC....or so i thought..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems to me that the most likely situation where the Wallabies can win the game is if we can score just over 20 points and keep the All Blacks to under 20.

History would suggest that we lose if it is a high scoring affair. Clearly recent history suggests we lose in most situations against the All Blacks.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Considering we are ranked number 2 in the world, I would see 4th as a fail, 3rd as below expectations, 2nd as a pass and 1st as an above expectations.

I don't know - it's only the Darkness after all, we did beat them in this comp last year and they had a stronger team. They won the RWC but that was in their back yard, does that even count? They should have to win it twice if playing at home to count for one win ...

We can definitely beat them just not sure it'll be with BB at 10?

Q

Quade Cheapshot

Considering we are ranked number 2 in the world, I would see 4th as a fail, 3rd as below expectations, 2nd as a pass and 1st as an above expectations.

Which is reflective of participation in the 3N, having regular exposure to consistently highly ranked teams on a more regular basis than many other sides.

And to counter-balance, there's the under-performance of the Super Rugby franchises and a national side which is dropping games to minnows like Samoa and Scotland.

I reckon a little bit of expectation management might be in order.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Which is reflective of participation in the 3N, having regular exposure to consistently highly ranked teams on a more regular basis than many other sides.

And to counter-balance, there's the under-performance of the Super Rugby franchises and a national side which is dropping games to minnows like Samoa and Scotland.

I reckon a little bit of expectation management might be in order.

Why? As a top three nation, we should expect to have the capability to beat both of the other top three teams. If we don't, then why the hell do we play in this competition? We beat the All Blacks last year and the Boks thrice, so it's not an entirely unreasonable expectation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We also beat the 6N Champions 3-0.

I still think our 2nd place ranking is realistic.

South Africa could topple us but they also need to improve to do that. On paper that would appear possible but it also appears likely that they will have Morne Steyn at 10. I'd prefer Barnes at 10 any day of the week over Steyn.

New Zealand has a substantial gap over everyone and that is certainly reflected by their dominance.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Why? As a top three nation, we should expect to have the capability to beat both of the other top three teams. If we don't, then why the hell do we play in this competition? We beat the All Blacks last year and the Boks thrice, so it's not an entirely unreasonable expectation.

Not to mention that we beat the Saffers the last time we played them, in the RWC quarter-final.

Q

Quade Cheapshot

South Africa could topple us but they also need to improve to do that. On paper that would appear possible but it also appears likely that they will have Morne Steyn at 10. I'd prefer Barnes at 10 any day of the week over Steyn.

Me too. Surely Steyn won't last?

Concerning for the rest of us is the enterprise shown by the Yapie franchises, particularly the Sharks. It's not outside the realms of possibility that the Bok will discover creative backline play realising, as they do, that 2009 was a while ago and the interpretations no longer favour their natural style.

My pick is that they'll discover it quite some time before the Wallabies manage to grow a tight five.

Status
Not open for further replies.