• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree wholeheartedly about Cooper, but if he isn't starting surely at least have him on the bench?

I don't see Cooper as a guy who can just step into the conservative, defensive structure Deans has set up and not overplay his hand.

Start the prick, sit Barnes at 12 and pick mobile pigs and try to go with the ABs in an up tempo, attacking test match.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Here's the official test side:

15. Kurtley Beale (Melbourne Rebels)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds, vice-captain)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force, captain)
6. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:

16. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
20. Michael Hooper (Brumbies)
21. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)
22. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)

J

Jiggles

Cooper can play a defensive game plan and has done so a number of times in his career. What he can't do is pull a rabbit out of his hat when there is no game plan. That's what we saw last year.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I like this business about 'Will Genia backs Barnes' (reported in a similar way to below by channel 9 this morning).

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/t...ver-quade-cooper/story-e6frf4qc-1226449575624

What Will really appears to be saying is - 'I think Cooper should be selected ahead of Barnes, but I know he isn't going to be and I've been told to tow the line'.

The headline is the best "Play Barnes ahead of Quade: Genia". Errr, not sure that's what he said, Mr Sub-Editor.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think I'm going to be sick........................

The only good change in that side is Slipper>Alexander.
There is no chance in hell we can beat the All Blacks with that team.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
nah, you start Cooper (I would) and build a structure that suits his strengths (and weaknesses) around him.

If that means adding mobility to the pigs, then you do it.

If that means you have a better chance of winning, but may also increase the chances of being routed, you live with it

Instead, we have the safe option, they will keep close (until the bench is used - Samo o_O) but are highly unlikely to get over the line.

On Samo, for all the whinging about the backs, how did this slip through to the keeper?
That's the problem though isn't it.
I agree that it appears that our only chance to beat the AB's is to go "all in" and punt on Quade.
But Quade has not demonstrated the form since he returned that would justify "putting your house" on him.
A couple of big losses to the AB's and Robbie knows he will get shot.
He can handle a couple of honourable narrow losses, but not any blowouts.
Back self preservation every time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I have an uneasy feeling about this selection.

Come Sunday morning, Dingo will either be a national hero or complete villian. No half measures with this squad.

When are the Lords of Darkness announcing their squad?

Are they in Olde Sydney Towne yet?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@ HJ - I don't think New Zealand fly in until Thursday.

Assuming he gets on the field, Samo will move up from 8th to 5th on the oldest players to appear in a Bledisloe Cup test list. Still a way to go to get to the top!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The 5/2 split is a concern.

If one of our inside backs is injured.

I guess it's on the basis that KB (Kurtley Beale) backs up 10, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) backs up 12 or 13, Mitchell backs up 11 or 14 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mitchell backs up 15.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What is TPN still doing in the starting side?

Timani is lucky. Simmons playing consistently near his best is definitely a better choice but who knows what we will get. Both bad options.

Good to see the end of Alexander at test level.

Cannot see how Samo on the bench provides anything. Cooper must have done the dirty on Dingo's daughter to lose his bench spot to him.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I guess it's on the basis that KB (Kurtley Beale) backs up 10, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) backs up 12 or 13, Mitchell backs up 11 or 14 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mitchell backs up 15.
That or Phipps/Samo on the wing :eek:

White unlucky TBH. Mind you, it's just warming the bench.

Hope the Tahs the players continue their form of under performing at provincial level and excelling for Australia.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
8 Waratahs in the 15 and no Brumbies after their respective seasons is interesting. Although given injuries etc. the only Brumby who could possibly feel hard done by is Moore. Still....8 Waratahs in the 15 after their season is a bit of a surprise.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
That puts an enormous amount of pressure on Genia and KB (Kurtley Beale) to make something happen in attack.
The 5/2 split is a good one as most of the backline can play in multiple positions.
Quade must really be in a bad place right now. Will he get a run in club rugby this week? He is not going to get any closer to playing by being in the stands on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.