• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 Rnd 1 Reds v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, keep on thinking about the match after this. You've got this week in the bag.

By no means at all, and I doubt the Reds are thinking that way.

However, I'd be surprised if the Force won the tight forward battle, and just as surprised if the Reds won the loose forwards battle, although we all know that winning in tight is the key to the game.

W

Waylon

I'm not a fan of JOC (James O'Connor) at 10
His talent is his pace and acceleration and agility and stepping.
You want his hands on the ball but you don't want him catching and passing and kicking and organising.
You want him hitting holes at pace. I'd prefer him at 12
Wearing the 10 jersey for the Force is also a curse. he's likely to suffer a season ending injury

W

Waylon

I think the Force tight five are better than they are given credit for
Sharpe is one of the biggest hitters in Australian rugby and a lineout supremo. If he goes off they might be in trouble though.
Mccalman is a very hard grafting player who won't take a backwards step.
Fairbrother at tight head is a fierce scrummager and tough competitor who came through a very hard rugby system at the Canes. He can play.
Pek Cowan is very hard on the ball at the breadown. He takes the ball up hard and is underestimated. Whittaker at hooker could be anything. He is rated highly at the Force
They will give a good account of themselves
The Force bench is where the weaknesses lay. They are a bit thin on quality replacements and may struggle at the back end of the game when the benches are cleared

T

TOCC

i think its a 'industrious' pack(for lack of a better word), Fairbrother is one of the better scrummager's in Australia, and Sharpe is the foremost line-out maestro in Australia, so its hardly going to be a capitulation at either of those set pieces by the Force, on top of that the backrow speaks for itself.

The terms of this match will be dictated by the style of game that Link implements, JOC (James O'Connor) whilst a highly talented player has not played much at 5/8, his decision making and general tactical kicking skills are going to be lacking somewhat. On the other hand, Quade is Quade, im guessing by the size of the Reds pack they are expecting to be kicking to the corners and planning to dominate territory. The Reds have a distinct advantage in this area due the difference in kicking ability between 5/8's, Cameron Shepherd will be regularly called on to use his booming boot to get them out of trouble(cue Reds counter-attack).

In saying that, if Hynes or Quade is having a off-night on the boot, then the Force back 3 have the potential to do some real damage in the counterattack department as well. Richard Graham's niche is broken play, i expect them to use there pacy outside backs(and JOC (James O'Connor)) to target the broken play with the mobile backrow sweeping through in support.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's almost perfect except for the front-row. And yeah that front row does suck.

I'm surprised Charles is on the bench... Fairbrother is a decent scrummager...

The Force seem to be trying to field all their best players at once in the pack and in doing so they've sacrificed their set piece for extra mobility...

McCalman is just not big enough to be a top grade lock... and with three opensides in the backrow they look a little light...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think the Force tight five are better than they are given credit for
Sharpe is one of the biggest hitters in Australian rugby and a lineout supremo. If he goes off they might be in trouble though.
Mccalman is a very hard grafting player who won't take a backwards step.
Fairbrother at tight head is a fierce scrummager and tough competitor who came through a very hard rugby system at the Canes. He can play.
Pek Cowan is very hard on the ball at the breadown. He takes the ball up hard and is underestimated. Whittaker at hooker could be anything. He is rated highly at the Force
They will give a good account of themselves
The Force bench is where the weaknesses lay. They are a bit thin on quality replacements and may struggle at the back end of the game when the benches are cleared
Seriously? You rate Pek Cowan?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
to be honest, i didnt watch many Force games in 2010, my opinions based on what ive heard from other people

I watched every Force game (I don't think I missed any Super rugby games tbh..) and their scrum was never dominant, it was even sometimes but mostly they were heavily penalised. Reports from the trial in Nowra say the Tahs scrum destroyed the Force's - might have something to do with a lack of back 5 for the Force but the same front row.

W

Waylon

I'm surprised Charles is on the bench...

His lineout throwing is letting him down
Whittaker gets first crack. He has muscled up and is starting this week at 113KG although he'll be about 110KG by fulltime based on the weather forecast. Whittaker could be anything. This kid is good. He's about 9Kg bigger than Chales according to the RugbyWA website. Charles will add good aggression and mobility off the bench.
Pek Cowan is only 24 or 25 I think but has now had about 3 seasons in the top grade if memory serves me well. He is a big loosehead at 116KG but has surpriising mobility. I think with his offseason work and with a few seasons under his belt now, he will make an impression this season. He is very aggressive at the breakdown.
Fairbrother tips in at a very fit 114KG and has a lot of experience at tighthead.
116KG + 113KG + 114 KG = not to be underestimated. McCalman might be a bit light on to lock the scrum

T

TOCC

Fairbrother tips in at a very fit 114KG and has a lot of experience at tighthead.
116KG + 113KG + 114 KG = not to be underestimated. McCalman might be a bit light on to lock the scrum

meh, the French scrum has demonstrated that a lighter frontrow can easily manhandle a heavier frontrow

W

Waylon

I watched every Force game (I don't think I missed any Super rugby games tbh..) and their scrum was never dominant, it was even sometimes but mostly they were heavily penalised. Reports from the trial in Nowra say the Tahs scrum destroyed the Force's - might have something to do with a lack of back 5 for the Force but the same front row.

Starting Force tight 5 in Nowra trial was
1. Pek Cowan
2. Nathan Charles
3.Tim Fairbrother
4. Phoenix Battye
5. Ben McCalman

QLD has lost Weeks as well.........the unsung hero. Fainga'a isn't a great scrummager. Daley was schooled at international level but it showed up some serious floors. Slipper is the new mesiah but is he? Time will tell

T

TOCC

i suggest you watch the 6nations and learn to pay respects to a good scrum when you see it

Status
Not open for further replies.