• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 Rnd 1 Reds v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
5 of the 8 forwards were regular starters last year. 1, Slipper, was coming off the bench. Horwill is coming back from injury and knows what to expect. Only quirk has a Question mark over him and he did play last year. There are 2 very experienced backrowers on the bench who can keep the pace of the game going when the pace slackens.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
What the hell is going on with the Force? When are they going to name the starting team?

T

TOCC

weather on Sunday is expected to be in the 30's, chance of shower in the afternoon...
Reds have had a fair bit of acclimatising in the heat after the Cairns and Darwin trial games, will be interesting to see what effect the weather has..

W

Waylon

Perth in Jan/feb is stifling and humid
The Force lads have been working their dot off
They'll be ready

W

Waylon

Force squad
NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
February 18, 2011, 8:43 am

Western Force have been dealt a big blow before their Super Rugby opener against the Queensland Reds on Sunday with the news flyhalf Willie Ripia has been ruled out through injury.

Ripia has been struggling with a foot injury, although Force had been hoping to nurse him through in time for the game at Suncorp Stadium. However, the key playmaker had a protective boot on at training this morning and will not travel with squad.

That means James O'Connor will move to No10, with Cameron Shepherd likely to play at fullback.

However there is some good news for the Force with another injury doubt, Wallabies flanker Matt Hodgson, given the all-clear.

Force: Pek Cowan, Ben Whittaker, Tim Fairbrother, Nathan Sharpe, Ben McCalman, Matt Hodgson, David Pocock, Richard Brown, Brett Sheehan, James O’Connor, David Smith, Gene Fairbanks, Mitch Inman, Nick Cummins, Cameron Shepherd.

Edit Force reserves
16 Nathan Charles 17 Kieran Longbottom 18 Sam Wykes 19 Tevita Metuisela 20 James Stannard 21 Alfi Mafi 22 Rory Sidey

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
A pity about Ripia: he had a cracking game in the trial v Oz Baas.

Good to see Shep starting again - he played OK at Nowra.

The experiment of McCalman at lock failed IMO at Nowra and the Tahs bullied them in the lineout - though Sharpie wasn't playing. It's a matter of getting all their good players on the park. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. The Force scrum will have to improve a whole lot also.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Jeez I can't wait for the season to start. I am absolutely chomping at the bit right now for 3 o'clock to roll around and the first game to start.

But, GO THE FORCE!!! (on Sunday)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Of their three front rowers, one is a rookie who looks OK and the other two are scrummaging boys. This week they might hold up but next week.....?

I look forward to the battle beween Fat Cat and Slipper. We may very well start Holmes. You have the advantage at hooker but TPN could be our friend at lineout time as I presume we will line up the talls again.

Your class front row was pretty much the work of our coach. All I mean by that is if Link persists with these Scrummaging boys, he sees something. Under the guidence of Link and Alec Evans is a pretty handy place to be for a front rower to be.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
TPN gives the Tahs scrum a big advantage in my opinion. Fa'ainga is very poor in this department.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I dunno, these boys did pretty well against tough Saffa scrums last year I recall. Minus Weekes of course but I reckon Slipper is going to be better. They'll account for the Tahs.

TPN gives the Tahs scrum a big advantage in my opinion. Fa'ainga is very poor in this department.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Back on topic..... Losing Ripia is a blow, but I am excited that JOC (James O'Connor) comes in closer to the action, he is the prodigal son and needs the exposure at 10/12 at this level (preferably 12). The only one I want out is Fairbanks, but the pickings are slim at the moment.

As the highlanders showed today, ignore the underdogs at your peril.

M

Moono75

Having JOC (James O'Connor) get his hands on the ball at 10 can't be a bad thing. The rabbit can just make things happen. I think Cummins and Smith could have big years for the Force as well. If the Force can get lineout ball and have some sort of parity in the scrum they will be all right. Bring on Sunday!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Am interested to see what JOC (James O'Connor) can do at 10 on Sunday. Might be a longer term home for him there in future years.

M

Moono75

Only problem with JOC (James O'Connor) playing 10 long term is where will he end up playing with the Wallabies. Cooper or O'Connor. Want a settled team lineup for the World Cup.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yes, Quade Cooper should still be 10 for the RWC, I'd think. I can't see Deans chopping and changing that without a very good reason (a cruel injury, or a shocker season from QC (Quade Cooper), etc).

The thing about James O'Connor, though, is he hasn't turned 21 yet. Hopefully he will have a good long career. In a few years time, he might be the best answer at 10. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.