• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
999 pages?

imgendofthread.gif

zer0

John Thornett (49)
A few more shitposts and we'll see if we hit GAGR's own Y2K. I hypothesise that trying to fit four digits onto the page button will cause the backend of the GAGR network to explode like old man Gunston after a rip roaring korma from the Royal Oak mall Indian.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
999 pages?

imgendofthread.gif

So as we hit 1000 pages I assume we got the answer to "Where to for Super Rugby"? So to sum up probably where we got to on this:

• Need to follow example set by Soccer - A-League - see 10 pages from Half
  • Don't put us in a competition with South Africa - ok at least that is accepted / end result - see 50 pages on this
  • Do our own domestic competition and go it alone - 50 pages - see also pages from Half
  • Do something with Twiggy and rest of Asia but not with those evil fuckers from NZRU- 50 Pages
  • Do something with NZRU ie. TT - 50 pages
  • Repeat the above messages over and over so you bastards get it and agree with my view/proposal - 790 Pages

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
But they don’t break even, 2018 they lost $1.9 million, 2019 they lost 7.4 million obviously that’s pre covid. It’s a misconception that not posting a profit means they are breaking even

Yep but they lost money not with ABs, but with grassroots, super etc. Not from AB rugby, that's what pays the bills !

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But they don’t break even, 2018 they lost $1.9 million, 2019 they lost 7.4 million obviously that’s pre covid. It’s a misconception that not posting a profit means they are breaking even

It's cyclical. World Cup year is the worst for any Tier 1 team.

Looking at it across a four year cycle is relevant.

In 2018 NZRU might have had a bottom line loss of $1.9m but above that they distributed $32m to their sub unions (Mitre 10 Cup and Heartland level). With current assets of $167m they aren't too concerned about reducing this investment and funding for lower levels just under the guise of breaking even or making a small profit.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep but they lost money not with ABs, but with grassroots, super etc. Not from AB rugby, that's what pays the bills !
But that has flow on effects. You lose 7.5m and that’s 7.5m less on development. If you keep losing money you have to keep cutting back and you end up undermining the foundations of the All Blacks and that is strong club rugby with good talent pathways

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
But that has flow on effects. You lose 7.5m and that’s 7.5m less on development. If you keep losing money you have to keep cutting back and you end up undermining the foundations of the All Blacks and that is strong club rugby with good talent pathways

Too true mate, so I suppose you get someone like Silver Lakes to help create more money. I was reading that almost every sport knows they will never make more money in future from ticket sales .

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

But they know they're going to lose that money in a RWC year and they budget for it across the four year cycle.

They don't just strip out $7.5m of funding so they can break even that year. They lost $7.5m because they maintained the funding.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
So as we hit 1000 pages I assume we got the answer to "Where to for Super Rugby"? So to sum up probably where we got to on this:

• Need to follow example set by Soccer - A-League - see 10 pages from Half

Almost right, the pages maybe more than 10 but no argument.

No not the A-League, but based on the US franchise system of which the best is the MSL and the system largely copied by MRL. Of which the closest code in Australia to the MLS that rugby in Australia can compare to is the A-League.

Its always been about the system, always and still is private equity owning the teams, and those teams running the competition, in a local domestic competition, to a system established and run by the governing body.

Its been my argument for close to 20 years.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Let’s celebrate the milestone with a top 5 craziest and most irrational people that have contributed

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Should it be a free for all or allocated and if allocated who do we allocate and how do we decide.

I am talking about post No 20, 000.

I suggest Quick be given or allocated to prepare post No 20, 000 given he started the thread.

Or should it not matter and a free for all to be poster 20, 000.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
It's a full on free for all cage fight for 1k pages and 20k shitposts as far as I'm concerned.

Also, six posts to go.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
With the glory of opening Page 1,000Y2K should come the great responsibility of..... actually answering the goddamn question of "Where To For Super Rugby?"

Yes, the final definitive answer, the one true answer that all members must get behind and abide by.

"As Foretold by The Prophecy, and after 1,000 pages of deliberation, The Question was definitively answered by <insert legendary member's name here> for it was he who stepped up and, having sifted through the 1,000 years of arguments, bestowed upon The Forii Generalis The Final Verdict".

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
With the glory of opening Page 1,000Y2K should come the great responsibility of... actually answering the goddamn question of "Where To For Super Rugby?"

Yes, the final definitive answer, the one true answer that all members must get behind and abide by.

"As Foretold by The Prophecy, and after 1,000 pages of deliberation, The Question was definitively answered by <insert legendary member's name here> for it was he who stepped up and, having sifted through the 1,000 years of arguments, bestowed upon The Forii Generalis The Final Verdict".

It's 42 innit?

Status
Not open for further replies.