• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No doubt.
That doesn’t mean the West Indes are evidence that this will happen in New Zealand, there’s so many variables which stand them apart.

Again I think the WI are a better reflection of Australian Rugby. A Once in a generation playing group and at the transition between amateur and professionalism that had them defy the traditional pecking order.
West Indies maintained the rage for a lot longer than 10 years and their is distinct difference between the early teams and the late teams. I agree on the fact they both struggled to adapt to the increased professionalism

NZ and WI have the key similarity that they are both small economies and tiny populations yet dominant the world. Obviously the West Indies have a unique problem of not being a national team

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Away from that Super Rugby TT. If the restrictions aren’t eased the Australian sides do hotel quarantine in NZ play the first two weeks there and then come home for the super round and our round of home games. Or let NZ have the super round. It makes little difference. With no impediment on coming to Aus we should look to split the games what ever way we can

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
West Indies maintained the rage for a lot longer than 10 years and their is distinct difference between the early teams and the late teams. I agree on the fact they both struggled to adapt to the increased professionalism

NZ and WI have the key similarity that they are both small economies and tiny populations yet dominant the world. Obviously the West Indies have a unique problem of not being a national team

FWIW, West Indies have a population twice that of Australia

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Get the fuck outta here. That shit amazes me. Reminds me of my favourite fact is that the Phillipines has a population of 110 million (lol what) the same size of Victoria.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well you are right and wrong 43,683,882 is the population of the Caribbean but nations such as Haiti 11,402,528, Cuba 11,326,616, Dominican Republic 10,847,910 and Puerto Rico 2,860,853 are not represented by the West Indies Cricket Board. The nations that make up the West Indies Cricket Board is 5,947,650

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
<edit> snap, beat to the punch :)

TBF, that would include the relatively big nations of Cuba, Haiti, and Dominican Republic, etc., who don't play cricket.

The WI we know (former British West Indies) is probably pegging at 7 or 8 million.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
perhaps we had a handful of once in a generation players in Horan, Larkham, Eales and a few nearly there in Wilson, Gregan, Kefu, Burke

To an extent. Remember how awful Australia were in 1996? They needed Macqueen's professionalism, especially his focus on strength and conditioning.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The NZ economy is substantially larger than any of the WI cricket nations combined. Any correlation in WI cricket to NZ rugby is silly considering the resources of the governing body, resources in the general community and internal politics.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Australia is an interesting sports market, and to some extent it either represents our Individualism and wanting to stand up for Australia or maybe as some say the chip on the shoulder.

Our three major sporting codes.

AFL, Australia is always the best in the world
NRL, Australia is mostly the best in the world
Cricket, Australia is often the best in the world.

All other codes can work it out, but the four biggest world team sporting codes. None have achieved long term professional success, all have shown small periods of we are getting on top of things.
Soccer
Basketball
Baseball
Rugby

Of the above four codes, soccer, basketball & rugby have well established structures and systems in place.

Aside from cricket, Australians look to local domestic competitions and unlike most other nations Australians have developed a liking for repetitive teams playing in repetitive competitions and feed the fact we are watching the worlds best. In many ways similar to the US.

How Super Rugby navigates this is critical over the current broadcast deal where the 9 / Fairfax / Stan / Radio group want us to grow.

As many have posted recently our admins have largely wasted one off windfalls. The suggestion that PE funding could go the same way.

PE can come in a number of forms, I think PE is coming, my hope is we do not panic as we did we News first offered the Tri Nation & Super Rugby deals. Australian rugby essentially sold itself to the wants of a Subscription TV company when the broadcaster often had a big say in the team numbers and fixture draw.

You all know the system of PE I want, i.e. privately owned teams in a privately run competition with that competition established by the governing body. for this post ignore my further desire is it be based on US franchise systems of which the best is the MSL.

We need PE, the decision is therefore what is the best form and best structure for the PE.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
The NZ economy is substantially larger than any of the WI cricket nations combined. Any correlation in WI cricket to NZ rugby is silly considering the resources of the governing body, resources in the general community and internal politics.

Yea there’s just so many variables which haven’t been considered when comparing the two.

Fact is New Zealand rugby is a completely different machine compared to the WI cricket team, NZRU set worlds best practice in the development of players and coaches throughout all age groups. This is what has allowed them to churn out an enduring an enduring cycle of world class player and teams over the past 50 years across both amateur and professional.

West Indies don’t have this, their internal structure is broken, they don’t have an efficient development program. Their golden era was a once in a generation because whatever unique circumstances which enabled the identification and development of that talent fell apart as the game went professional.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Perhaps relevant in terms of how PE might value the AB brand:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...ny-altrad-to-be-all-blacks-new-jersey-sponsor

TLDR: a French company, owned by the guy who owns Montpellier RFC, is reportedly bidding €18Mn for a 2-year AB Jersey sponsorship: currently paying €7Mn p.a. to Jersey-sponsor Les Bleus.

I was just about to post similar for same reason WOB. it all got nothing at all to do with NZ's economy, but international brand recognition.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I actually think PE could help alter the thinking behind the TT competition long term. Don't think for a minute that the likes of the NRL wouldn't like to have multiple NZ based teams if they could manage it. Problem is they've got so many teams in NSW and need to service Qld more so at best all they'll ever have is two. And in doing so will severely stretch their playing pool.

WE could still build off a TT competition. And PE firms looking for ROI could be the catalyst. I think the ultimate goal in a TT competition should be to eventually reach 16 teams. And realistically the only way of doing that is by growing into Australia. That will require a significant degree of investment and long term planning to achieve. But it certainly would be a path forward.

This is going to be another silly idea/question I'm afraid, but if there was to be a full season TT Super Rugby comp, what are the main problems with NZR setting up a new team in Aus? Is it a possibility, or completely ridiculous? It would be NZ run and managed, with (mostly) NZ players, but be given an Australian geographical name depending on where it is located in Aus.

I'm just trying to think outside the box. It would stretch the depth of NZ a bit more so the competition is more even, but it would protect the interests of NZR whereby they keep their players within their system to be conditioned their way and eligible to be picked for the AB's. At the same time, it helps grow the game in the Australian market.

Perhaps it would become too complicated long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.