• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

I'm reading that as Horan believe's no decision has been made from the ARU as they are still harboring the thought of a restructured comp and no teams lost. However if this is not an option then they are open to dropping a team as long as SA drop 2

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems much more likely that the ARU have a 15 team competition as their preferred model, with 4 teams each in Australia and South Africa.

If that wasn't the case there'd be no need for South Africa and broadcasters to figure out if they would drop a couple of teams.

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
If Aus teams keep dishing out the rubbish that I witnessed first hand on Saturday (Tahs vs Brumbies) ratings will continue to fall no matter how many teams we have.

I never thought I would say this but I am seriously just about done, at this stage I am not renewing my Tahs membership next year.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Desperate times = desperate (i.e. radical) measures

Drop the Saffas

5 Aussie teams

5 NZ teams

Sunwolves

Fiji, Tongan & Samoan team

Jaguares/2nd Fiji team/2nd Japan team/Hong Kong team/US team/Canadian team?

Australian, NZ and Pacific/Pacific-Atlantic conferences

Scheduling formula same as super 15 (play all teams in own conference twice, 4 of 5 teams in other conference)

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Been hitting the refresh button here at work today. Has Australian Rugby ever been in a crappier state than right now ?

Our Super teams are garbage and I've got to wonder how much all this uncertainty is affecting them. The Reds were bloody awful against the Lions. Brumbies v Tahs was poor, Rebels were considered good for at least putting up the gloves in the ring this time.

Wallabies had a dreadful season last year, we haven't won the Bledisloe since my nephew was 13. He's is now 28 and has 2 sons and a divorce.

It's just a shit state of affairs. The time is ripe for a complete revolution which isn't coming.

Nothing constructive to add right now just venting, it's pretty depressing.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why do people keep throwing US and Canada in the mix for Super Rugby shake up, it would be the worst move possible. They will join Europe anyone, which is a reasonable flight time for them as well.

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm with you, 3 months ago I was tired of all the negativity and criticism and really hoping for everyone to work together for the good of our game...

All I want to do now is vent week and week out!

The only thing I can say is that Aus Teams need to have a really good look at themselves, they are absolutely crap, period! I don't have the answer at least the Rebels tried to play on Friday and guess what they were in it for most of the game! Maybe just maybe the rest of the teams will follow suit

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ok tin foilers, any theories that we might be deliberately foxing in Super Rugby??

Christy DoranVerified account @ChristypDoran 17m17 minutes ago

More

After having the bye, Western Force rest Wallaby Dane Haylett-Petty for two-match tour of New Zealand. Simply bizarre #SuperRugby

Very strange, is it a case of the Aus teams have just thought, lets just play for the Aus conference title?

It's not like any of the other teams are picking up wins against international opposition. Even the Rebels as strange as it sounds, if they win this week and the Brums lose, won't be far from the lead.

N

NTT

A bit off topic but i really believe Rugby can learn a lot from Rugby League and AFL in terms of advertising the product, putting on a better experience for attending fans and getting in some commentators who are actually excited to be at the game.
Watching the build up to the League season, they have a clear message through out their advertising that it's the "peoples game". Delta Goodrem front and centre banging out a song backed by exciting vision of the games in the background. You know, something that actually inspires people to want to go and watch it. The AFL is also following the same sort of theme, every club for everyone. What do we have? A very direct message that Super Rugby is dying and is about to be changed and that corporate stoushes rule the landscape.
Watching the green team from the ACT yesterday i was taken by the difference in fan engagement by the League crowd. Pumping music, crowd involvement, ground announcers keeping the action fast and involvong everyone. What do we have? The hits of 1974 cd on repeat played at the wrong times and a whole lot of silence.
Watching the Ireland v England match and the League i noticed how into the game and genuinely pumped to be there commentating, even the South African and Kiwi commentators, were the commentary teams. The Irish commentator was excellent in making a close match even more enthralling. The Kiwis could make shovelling manure sound exciting and the voice of League Mr Warren does a wonderful job of building the excitement. What do we have? Clarkey doing his best whilst Messers Kearns, Horan, Kafer and Martin droning on and lamenting trivial crap.

Super Rugby is very good rugby but when its been presented and commentated on like its a slow motion funeral it is going to suffer. Change the format all you want but there are some cosmetics to our game presentation that need urgent reconstructive surgery.

Ill leave the Sydney medias obsession with killing Aussie rugby because the Tahs are shite for another rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.