• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^

All of this ties back in with a point i made several pages ago. All sports inevitably tilt towards a system that prioritizes club over international in a globalizing international market. In financial terms as well as popularity. Whilst our club system is inimitably tied in with the success and funding of the national team, super rugby will be forever hamstrung.

The reality is, Australia (the least of the three), New Zealand and South Africa are the best rugby nations on the planet. in terms of quality and quantity of players produced they lead the line. In terms of past success they lead the line. Super Rugby sould be THE rugby competition to watch.

Super Rugby is fucking good rugby. It just can't be beholden to international team interests to succeed. The revolution just needs to be in how it's managed.

Also fuck a 'hybrid' game right off.

It hasn't been for Australian Sides for a long time apart from 2014 for the Tahs and the period in the sun for Qld 2010-2011. Apart from that it was along way back to the Brumbies playing attractive marketable Rugby. The Tahs are the best example that winning and making the finals by statistics is not a recipe for success but one for destroying the fan base, even though the Tahs were "successful" in terms of making finals in that time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I notice you don't have a club avatar: that's probably why you think the nrc is financially self sustaining.
In fact it's sustained by the same unpaid devotees who sustain the Shute shield and equivalents and who morally own every piece of intellectual property associated with rugby in oz.
Yes I appreciate this does not capture the unpaid work of the many devotees who sustain grass roots and hence helped to be financially no cost to the aru. Fair call.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
More interesting word shenanigans from the republic...

Love this source..."a local Rugby boss". Makes he/she sound liek a Mafia boss or something.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
My limited understanding of how the NRC is funded is that each team needs to bring $ 400, 000 to the table each year and the cost to the ARU is nil. Not that different to the A-League just different amounts.
ARU pays for travel, accommodation and costs of staging the competition for all teams, and indirectly pays for the salaries of Super rugby players and any top-up players involved. Funded from broadcast agreement with Foxtel.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
It is just absolutely mind boggling that in the midst of this horrible time for the game , the ARU CEO goes completely missing .
And not just Pulver the whole ARU .
Reminds me of his atrocious handling of the Beale , Mckenzie , Patson saga.
It's actually pretty surprising for a man who in his personal life appears to have handled a situation no father should have to face with great leadership.
I'm sure the PR gurus instructions are say nothing until there is a clear position and then whatever that decision is he will go on the charm offensive .
Problem is the real stakeholders of the game who like me pay their membership for their Super Rugby team or cook the sausage sizzle at their local Shute Shield club or stand on the sidelines in the winter cold and rain watching their kids play
want to hear what the supposed leader of the great game in this country really thinks , right now at what is clearly the lowest point for the game in my 30 years as a supporter who has done all of the above .
Out of your bunker Bill !

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It is just absolutely mind boggling that in the midst of this horrible time for the game , the ARU CEO goes completely missing .
Reminds me of his atrocious handling of the Beale , Mckenzie , Patson saga.
It's actually pretty surprising for a man who in his personal life appears to have handled a situation no father should have to face with great leadership.
I'm sure the PR gurus instructions are say nothing until there is a clear position and then whatever that decision is he will go on the charm offensive .
Problem is the real stakeholders of the game who like me pay their membership for their Super Rugby team or cook the sausage sizzle at their local Shute Shield club or stand on the sidelines in the winter cold and rain watching their kids play
want to hear what the supposed leader of the great game in this country really thinks , right now at what is clearly the lowest point for the game in my 30 years as a supporter who has done all of the above .
Out of your bunker Bill !

I am not even expecting an out right decision that says team x will be leaving, personally i think that'd be bonkers to do at this stage of the season. However would love either "we are in talks with the appropriate bodies in the game, we are fighting for each and every teams survival however we do realise this might not be a possibility".

Or

"Our partners have asked us to review the possibility to reduce a team to improve the situation. No decision of if this has been made, however if one does unfortunately have to go, a decision will not be made until Seasons end. This allow us to review performance, financial situations, growth etc. going forward".

They just have to provide something

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am not even expecting an out right decision that says team x will be leaving, personally i think that'd be bonkers to do at this stage of the season. However would love either "we are in talks with the appropriate bodies in the game, we are fighting for each and every teams survival however we do realise this might not be a possibility".

Or

"Our partners have asked us to review the possibility to reduce a team to improve the situation. No decision of if this has been made, however if one does unfortunately have to go, a decision will not be made until Seasons end. This allow us to review performance, financial situations, growth etc. going forward".

They just have to provide something
Could not agree more
Saying nothing just looks weak as

half

Dick Tooth (41)
!

So true.

I also wonder aloud how the broadcasters are using this, Roy Masters said on offsiders SA rating were down by more than 50% and they are the big bank. Also I have read European ratings are down.

Lets all sorts of thoughts and ideas to be expressed. They [ARU] should be leading then conversation.

By contrast FFA are having somewhat similar issues right now but they are still talking and releasing updates.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The difference is, FFA is on its own. The ARU is part of an alliance. The FFA is in charge of its own destiny, the ARU is not.

Come on, mate, be reasonable. What can the ARU say that will not potentially jeopardise negotiations before they are finalised? This sort of thing has to be done behind closed doors.

dru

David Wilson (68)
The difference is, FFA is on its own. The ARU is part of an alliance. The FFA is in charge of its own destiny, the ARU is not.

Come on, mate, be reasonable. What can the ARU say that will not potentially jeopardise negotiations before they are finalised? This sort of thing has to be done behind closed doors.

Sorry Wam but I see this as specious - ie sounds right but is an oversimplification.

To start with the ARU needed to tell the rugby public what their prefered position was - ie no cut. The fact that negotiations continue is fine, that they are not in control of the SANZAR outcome etc. But they really needed to speak to the Australian public.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree with the gripes about the lack of communication from the ARU. We need to hear something from the Board or Executive, even if it's just a bit of "sit tight folks, we're working through some options here...". Anything else just breeds the kind of wild speculation we're seeing on this thread and the inevitable recriminations that will surely follow.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Best quote that sums up this sorry mess. From Georgina Robinson at SMH:

Which team would face the chop in Australia? The latest rumour to reach Fairfax Media is that the Force would go, with the bulk of its players "redistributed" to the Rebels. Yes, that's different to Thursday's rumour, which foretold the end of the Rebels, and Wednesday's rumour, which conceived of the "Melbourne Brumbies".
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...alian-rugby-unions-court-20170317-gv0l2l.html

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is where someone like John Eales should be used to speak on behalf of the ARU and send that message that fans need to sit tight and remain calm and the ARU is working hard with SANZAAR to come out with the best outcome for Australian rugby etc. He's the longest serving board member and obviously a popular figure in Australian rugby. He would be a good person to speak out to fans.

Clearly they can't put out any great detail but they do need to send some message of positivity out to fans.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)

Not talking about saying anything that would breach confidentiality.
However a statement that talks with some degree of confidence re the future of the game .
Or here is something radical , tell the truth . "We have a favoured position however we are waiting for final feedback from both our SAANZAR and broadcast partners .It would be irresponsible to disclose this position until we properly understand the positions of our partners ". Which is highly likely where we are at .And then something like "However we as always are completely committed to ensuring a sustainable , successful future of our great game and we will always put the interests of the Australian rugby public first ."
Speak with some passion Bill . Even if it's a holding statement .

half

Dick Tooth (41)

Not true because FFA are being analysis-ed and questioned by both FIFA and the AFC.

Change is being forced upon them and everything they do locally they need to have approved by FIFA & AFC.

Communication is not that hard if you let people know even basic info.

This was the FFA release last Friday. Says nothing actually about whats being discussed but follows on a serious of releases that lets if nothing else where its all up to.

""'Representatives from football’s Member Federations, Hyundai A-League clubs and the players’ association, Professional Footballers Australia (PFA), put their views on expansion of the sport’s Congress today at a meeting called by Football Federation Australia (FFA).
The purpose of the meeting was to allow further discussion between stakeholders ahead of an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) of the Congress which would vote on a resolution to increase membership.

FFA and stakeholders have held various meetings and discussions over recent months on the make-up of an expanded Congress.

The current Congress is made up of one representative from each of the nine member federations who represent the game in their region and a Hyundai A-League representative who speaks on behalf of the clubs. The Congress has the power to elect the FFA’s independent Board and amend FFA’s constitution.

Under the constitution, in order to expand, 75 percent of voting members must agree to a resolution for it to be passed. The FFA Board does not have a vote.

FFA Chairman Steven Lowy AM made the following remarks after the meeting:

“Everyone was able to explain their position today as part of a frank and very constructive discussion. There was discussion on many points, including the relevance of intended changes to the ownership and operating model of the Hyundai A-League to the make-up of an expanded Congress.

“On the few matters where different views are held, everyone at the meeting agreed to go back to their own Boards to consider the path forward. Discussions will continue next week.”"""

-

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sorry Wam but I see this as specious - ie sounds right but is an oversimplification.

To start with the ARU needed to tell the rugby public what their prefered position was - ie no cut. The fact that negotiations continue is fine, that they are not in control of the SANZAR outcome etc. But they really needed to speak to the Australian public.

Have you ever been involved in negotiating a deal? Here's a couple of rules.

Firstly, never tell the other side what your bottom line is, either in terms of time or deliverables.

Secondly never believe anything that any party says publicly. (Which is my point - the ARU would be farking stupid to start talking about outcomes, when they just do not control the process. Specious? You must have a different dictionary to me. Nothing the ARU says at the moment publicly means anything at all. Worse still, what is the public reaction when the ARU's preferred position is not achieved? If it is achieved, well and good. But if they are seen to fail, publicly humiliated, what is achieved?)

Thirdly, no negotiating process is finalised until the formal agreement is signed, sealed, and delivered. Until then, anything can change, potentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.