• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Do you reckon a long tour by a team that is not BIL would generate as much interest though? The financial windfall of BIL tours is the massive number of British and Irish fans that come with it. Plus TV income. And we all know how much the Dollar, Pound, Euro, Rand etc. rule the game.Of course, if the ABs did a long tour in SA, they'd sell out every match probably, but maybe not as financially attractive to host as the BIL without the high-spending army that comes along the BIL.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of long tours, but sadly I think we won't see many again.

An All Black tour will generate more interest in SA.

Nowadays our CC teams (specially the youth teams) play the remote areas and draw more supporters then the main stadiums.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Nowadays our CC teams (specially the youth teams) play the remote areas and draw more supporters then the main stadiums.

I agree, as I said, the ABs will sell things out, but I was looking at the other side of tours - the financial windfall outside of gate receipts. You would not get 30 000 AB fans coming to SA, but the cashed up BIL fans will come.
So, longer tours will go on with the BIL, but apart from the ABs going to some places like SA (maybe?) I can't see many longer tours happening anymore. Which would be a shame.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Do you reckon a long tour by a team that is not BIL would generate as much interest though? The financial windfall of BIL tours is the massive number of British and Irish fans that come with it. Plus TV income. And we all know how much the Dollar, Pound, Euro, Rand etc. rule the game.Of course, if the ABs did a long tour in SA, they'd sell out every match probably, but maybe not as financially attractive to host as the BIL without the high-spending army that comes along the BIL.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of long tours, but sadly I think we won't see many again.

Nothing would bring with it the level of support like Lions supporters provide.

I don't think that the long tours will come back either becasue of the way the game is now structured, but I do think that a 3 or 4 test tour would generate much more interest than TRC does in terms of public support. For example, even the England tour of Aust in 2016 had a higher profile than TRC does. TRC actually has many of the same structural issues as super rugby does (but not to the same extent).

I'd be interested in financial modelling in terms of TRC v at return to long tours held on a rotating basis. I'd hope that this sort of thing would be done on an ongoing basis, but I suspect not. I'd hate for TRC to reach the point that super rugby now is before anyone even considers an alternative model.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Tell me PB, is CC more popular in SA than Super Rugby? Just about every SA expat that I know tells me that it is.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tell me PB, is CC more popular in SA than Super Rugby? Just about every SA expat that I know tells me that it is.
Obvious Super Rugby is more popular because the top players (Springboks) dont play in the CC.

That said the CC stay the heart of our rugby. We have the u19 & u21 CC with the senior one running which play an important role in developing our players.

Lower down the Varsity Cup is more important then club rugby.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anzac tour of Europe?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I don't think that the long tours will come back either becasue of the way the game is now structured, but I do think that a 3 or 4 test tour would generate much more interest than TRC does in terms of public support. For example, even the England tour of Aust in 2016 had a higher profile than TRC does. TRC actually has many of the same structural issues as super rugby does (but not to the same extent).

I'd be interested in financial modelling in terms of TRC v at return to long tours held on a rotating basis. I'd hope that this sort of thing would be done on an ongoing basis, but I suspect not. I'd hate for TRC to reach the point that super rugby now is before anyone even considers an alternative model.

It well might. Especially as TRC seems to be much the same routine very year in terms of scheduling. But you'd have to pick your touring team carefully.
In any event, with the current parlous star of the professional game here, as recent evidence suggests, not many want to watch the Wallabies.
But in the multiverse where the Wallabies get back to being properly competitive against the top 2-3 teams in the world, I say bring it on!!!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Still going on and on about the state the game is in, without any reference at all to the peculiarities in the Australian winter sporting landscape.

The NRL. The AFL. Bugger me, am I the only one who understands the significance of these two home governed, home financed, overwhelmingly popular, competitors?

half

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^^^
Peter mentioned the US growth a few times, I went on to a US sports forum and the following chart is a summary of major US sports, me thinks rugby has a long way to go. Meaning I would not place to much faith in the US.

China on the other hand is investing a lot in rugby and the Chinese army see it more a military game. A mate hard core full on rugby fan was in China on business last year and he was taken to a place where he estimated there where at least 100 rugby fields, all being played on by the Chinese army.

He expects with decent coaches china will within 16 years or so years win the rugby world cup.

BTW can't work out the colour coding in the US chart.

2016/17 SEASON
LEAGUE TEAMS YEAR Avg ATTEND. TOTAL ATTEND. TV CONTRACT Avg TEAM VALUE Avg SALARY CHMPSHIP TV VIEWERS

Code==Teams=yr== Av Crw=Tot Cwd== med deal== MD yrs===AVe Sal == Chship ratings

NFL ==32== 16/17== 69.5k ==17.8m ==$4.9b== (2012-2022) $2.34b (2016)=== $1.9m ==(2016) 111.3m

MLB ==30== 2016== 30.1k== 73.2m ==$1.55b (2012-2021) $1.3b (2016)== $4.4m (2016) ===22.8m (series avg)

NBA ==30 ==16/17 ==17.88k ==22.99m== $2.67b (2015-2025) $1.36b (2016) ==$6.2m (2016) ==20.4m (series avg)

NHL ==30 ==16/17 ==18.1k ==21.5m ==$600m* (2012-2022) $505m (2016) ==$2.9m (2016) ==14.7m (series avg)

MLS== 20 ==2016 ==21.7k ==7.4m $90m (2015-2022) $185m (2016)== $309k== (2016) 3.5m^

*$400m Canadian

^Includes Univsion Deportes and Canadian (2.1m total)[/COLOR]

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
China plays basketball and soccer too. Games which are probably more suited to their interests, and physical capabilities, frankly.

In neither game are they particularly successful internationally. Why would they be successful in rugby? And if they are not successful, they will not be interested, frankly.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
China plays basketball and soccer too. Games which are probably more suited to their interests, and physical capabilities, frankly.

In neither game are they particularly successful internationally. Why would they be successful in rugby? And if they are not successful, they will not be interested, frankly.

I think they like the physicality of rugby to strengthen soldiers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The England tour in 2016 was very financially successful because they're the biggest drawcard that we can get in the midyear tests.

Likewise if you replaced the Rugby Championship with 2x 3 test series (one home and one away) and you still have the same three teams to play against at this time of year, the 3 test home series against the All Blacks is a financial windfall and the 3 test home series against Argentina is a financial disaster.

If we went down that route we'd only get one home series against the All Blacks every 3 years. South Africa would be good financially and then once every 3 years we'd have Argentina which would empty the coffers.

Likewise in the mid year series, we get a range from amazing every 12 years (Lions tour) to a shocker every 4 years (Lions tours to NZ or SA) and then a middling range where we host Wales or France.

I'd imagine hosting Ireland next year is the next best home series after England so that should be good both in terms of interest and financially.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Still going on and on about the state the game is in, without any reference at all to the peculiarities in the Australian winter sporting landscape.

The NRL. The AFL. Bugger me, am I the only one who understands the significance of these two home governed, home financed, overwhelmingly popular, competitors?
Yes, it's just you.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)

Not too many other nations are losing their schoolboy team members to another sport the year after they are selected are they?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think they like the physicality of rugby to strengthen soldiers.

They are currently ranked 68th in the world. They are in the third tier of Asian national competition, against powerhouses Thailand and Laos!!!!

They do not have a professional rugby competition.

I don't think we should hold our breath waiting for them to beat the bloody All Blacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.