• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
well. the Lions played the Hurricanes in South Africa, after the Hurricanes had already been on the road for the past 2 weeks.

Fact is, the best South African team never beat a kiwi team in New Zealand, arguably the hardest challenge in Super Rugby.

No doubt Lions were one of the top 4 teams in the competition, but had they played the Chiefs, Hurricanes and Crusaders in regular season, Away from home, their season wouldn't have appeared so convincing IMO

woulda coulda shoulda
yada yada

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I personally like the idea of TF's own Asian League.NZ you want in.sure if you play by our rules as I have the money and my show..Yeh I know wishful thinking either way but I would also like a screw you statement to NZRU if they want to continue with the Super Rugby clusterfark..

Yeah I can just see the Kiwis. On their knees. Begging to be let in.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
On a ship, maybe, mate. On a boat, boet, you are all cooped up.

I would be happy for the Kiwi franchises to keep flying round the world on the Buenos Aires and Joburg circuit for 3 months of the year. Just add on an option for a two month champions' trophy and it's all sorted.

For local rugby, of course, they have Mitre-10.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mate last time I checked nz did not have too many billionaires looking to fund a new competition and even sheep could understand might be wise to invest in other competitions re; South Africa model of super rugby and pro 12. As what other rugby comp's does nz have nearby to look at... sound of crickets and silence deafening in response to that.

Yep hence why we would rather have options so we are not so dependent on nz if it wants to continue to only focus on the dead horse that is super rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Mate last time I checked nz did not have too many billionaires looking to fund a new competition and even sheep could understand might be wise to invest in other competitions re; South Africa model of super rugby and pro 12. As what other rugby comp's does nz have nearby to look at. sound of crickets and silence deafening in response to that.

Yep hence why we would rather have options so we are not so dependent on nz if it wants to continue to only focus on the dead horse that is super rugby.

I doubt that the NZRU is silly enough to have all its eggs in the Super Rugby basket, especially when said basket puts it in partnership with SARU and the ARU. They've been interested in Japan for a long time now.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fair enough, too. Everyone likes the idea of Japan. Expecting sunshine and cherry blossoms could lead to frustration though. The game there is like the rugby corridors in Sydney writ large. Progress in Japanese rugby, if and when it happens, is despite the JRFU.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fair enough, too. Everyone likes the idea of Japan. Expecting sunshine and cherry blossoms could lead to frustration though. The game there is like the rugby corridors in Sydney writ large. Progress in Japanese rugby, if and when it happens, is despite the JRFU.

And if Twiggy creates an Asian Competition with Alisports who already has planned to invest $100m in chinese rugby and a new competition with foreign players you don't think Japan would be interested....as I somehow don't think they are enjoying the timezone challenges that come with Super Rugby....playing in a competition with the Shanghai dragons and Singapore warriors would be a much more appealing option from a travel / time zone perspective. And if that happened you going to tell me NZ would still not be interested. Or does NZ have a billionaire in the background willing to help fund a new competition.....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, there could be interest from Japan for sure. And NZ for that matter, although perhaps not from the governing body at this stage. I think Steve Tew will be last of all to climb out of the soup cauldron.

Any new plan will need time to establish bona fides, however. It is a ways off that at the moment - but I'm supporting the idea of it!

dru

David Wilson (68)
And if Twiggy creates an Asian Competition with Alisports who already has planned to invest $100m in chinese rugby and a new competition with foreign players you don't think Japan would be interested..as I somehow don't think they are enjoying the timezone challenges that come with Super Rugby..playing in a competition with the Shanghai dragons and Singapore warriors would be a much more appealing option from a travel / time zone perspective. And if that happened you going to tell me NZ would still not be interested. Or does NZ have a billionaire in the background willing to help fund a new competition...

NZ will do what suits NZ. Right now they don't rate Aus (to be fair nor do many of us) other than on convenience.

Any comp going forward, should it logically deviate from SA involvement (and at best revised Soup system) is likely to meet NZ scepticism and an expectation that we dumb down Aus pro rugby to suit the Kiwi assessment of our place in the world. We'll need to go through the motions to offer the Kiwis a respected place in it, but we really need to presume that we will get a "get stuffed" response.

Then we move to something that suits us anyway. If it works, and of course we hope it would, make room for the Kiwis after they wake up.

Key issue is that we must do what suits Aus rugby first.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Maybe but izzy from an attack perspective can make something happen. still one of our best backs imo. Yes I suspect part of pay is marketing value related but overall that is what you pay for re: things that attract fans and gets bums on seat.

Rugbynutter, I can't argue with your marketing logic, however, it's interesting that none of these three "marque players" are captain or vice-captain of their respective teams, teams that are under-performing, and teams which appear to have "team-culture" (player-coach) problems.
Finally, there are the poor bloody supporters that are supposed to "keep the faith"!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Mate last time I checked nz did not have too many billionaires looking to fund a new competition and even sheep could understand might be wise to invest in other competitions re; South Africa model of super rugby and pro 12. As what other rugby comp's does nz have nearby to look at. sound of crickets and silence deafening in response to that.

NZ rugby have the trademarks Boet. SA vs NZ will always be big in SA. Its the tradition and rivalry and culture.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
A suggestion on Wednesday by a couple of Rugby League commentators on a radio network based in Sydney, was that the NRL could relocate the Gold Coast Titans (lock, stock, and barrel), to Perth!
However, in The Australian today, was the report that when the NRL seeks expressions of interest in the sale of the Gold Coast Titans, (as early as next week), the North Sydney Bears "are ready to pounch"!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
However, in The Australian today, was the report that when the NRL seeks expressions of interest in the sale of the Gold Coast Titans, (as early as next week), the North Sydney Bears "are ready to pounch"!

The Bears consortium have been trying to get the NRL to sell them that licence ever since Gold Coast first ran into difficulties.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
NZ rugby have the trademarks Boet. SA vs NZ will always be big in SA. Its the tradition and rivalry and culture.

Us oldies know and appreciate it PB, but many younger Aussie supporters think that the Bledisloe is the most important to the Kiwis. The absence of SA teams because of the apartheid boycotts and a relatively strong period in Aust rugby in the 80s and 90s reinforce this in their minds.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Us oldies know and appreciate it PB, but many younger Aussie supporters think that the Bledisloe is the most important to the Kiwis. The absence of SA teams because of the apartheid boycotts and a relatively strong period in Aust rugby in the 80s and 90s reinforce this in their minds.
If the rugby wisemen wants to make many they should change back to the old school. Every country play their own provincial tournament and bring back the long tours. The modern schedule is killing the game in the country sides.

Ask any rugby player in SA which team they want to play. Its the All Blacks.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the rugby wisemen wants to make many they should change back to the old school. Every country play their own provincial tournament and bring back the long tours. The modern schedule is killing the game in the country sides.

Ask any rugby player in SA which team they want to play. Its the All Blacks.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing better than those full tours - as seen by the interest that Lions tours generate in the host country. A great opportunity for younger players to fix with established test players and play midweek games against tough provincial opponents.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I couldn't agree more. Nothing better than those full tours - as seen by the interest that Lions tours generate in the host country. A great opportunity for younger players to fix with established test players and play midweek games against tough provincial opponents.

Do you reckon a long tour by a team that is not BIL would generate as much interest though? The financial windfall of BIL tours is the massive number of British and Irish fans that come with it. Plus TV income. And we all know how much the Dollar, Pound, Euro, Rand etc... rule the game.Of course, if the ABs did a long tour in SA, they'd sell out every match probably, but maybe not as financially attractive to host as the BIL without the high-spending army that comes along the BIL.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of long tours, but sadly I think we won't see many again.

Status
Not open for further replies.