• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I have to admit, the prospect of South African teams playing in Europe would be pretty exciting. So many benefits not least that the switch should push more money and SA players back into SA clubs.
Same time zone.

You have to understand the way our contracting works. Our top schoolboy players get massive contracts and will always stay for the first year in provincial academies. The provinces obvious will try and keep the top ones until they have a year or two senior level. Then they will move. The extras (only 3% of SA players at u19 CC level gets to SupeRugby level) would have chicken run anyway.

M

Moono75

If SA goes to play in Europe then NZ would have little choice but to join a Trans Tasman competition. Where will their dollars come from otherwise if not FOXTEL.

I think ANZUS Super Rugby. Australia, New Zealand & Undetermined States.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh there are far more depressing things going about if its a competition. This 'postal vote' on gay marriage. The civil & criminal negligence of our big banks. Stagnant wages. Ever increasing property bubble. Fucken North Korea.

Rugby dying is a happy distraction.

I'm not sure if rugby 'dying' is a happy distraction............

I was perfectly happy not watching the game on the weekend so I could go out for a nice meal, and watch another film as part of Melbourne International Film Festival (although the film itself was a bit disappointing)..........

At least the postal vote will be over soon and we'll be a step closer towards marriage equality (long overdue).

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
But you'd be mad to think Aus will dictate terms.

I personally like the idea of TF's own Asian League...NZ you want in...sure if you play by our rules as I have the money and my show......Yeh I know wishful thinking either way but I would also like a screw you statement to NZRU if they want to continue with the Super Rugby clusterfark....

T

TOCC

So whats your point. The Stormers beat the Chiefs. If you want to get the answer compare SA teams wins in Australia vs Aus wins in SA?

Again in South Africa..
Point is you can't argue the system is balanced when half the South African teams don't play the hardest teams away.

Playing New Zealand teams away are statistically the hardest games in Super Rugby, you remove that factor, and immediately your chances of making the finals rise.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Again in South Africa..
Point is you can't argue the system is balanced when half the South African teams don't play the hardest teams away.

Playing New Zealand teams away are statistically the hardest games in Super Rugby, you remove that factor, and immediately your chances of making the finals rise.
So how many wins in SA from Australian teams?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I actually thought that the SA teams were quite good this year. I loved the way the Kings played - every game I saw them in was excitement plus. (Something of a contrast to every game I saw an Aussie team in btw)

And notwithstanding the way the draw worked, the Lions were definitely top 4 in the tournament and had good claims to be top 2.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Kings improved a lot since 2016. They surely is the example for most teams.

Thing is SA have a much stronger player structure then Australia. The rugby factory haven't stop, it will be even stronger in future.

T

TOCC

So how many wins in SA from Australian teams?

but Australian teams still play South African teams each year..

Reality is, that any comp which is structured in a way where teams aren't playing what are statistically the most difficult matches, undermines the integrity of the comp. If Lions were the 2nd best team, which could be considered subjective, then they should have been playing regular season rugby against the kiwi tea

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
but Australian teams still play South African teams each year..

Reality is, that any comp which is structured in a way where teams aren't playing what are statistically the most difficult matches, undermines the integrity of the comp. If Lions were the 2nd best team, which I find subjective, then they should have been playing regular season rugby against the kiwi teams.
We discussed this kak competition way back before it started. You were one of the first to back it then
I think it's a fantastic concept, you can have the conference champions and then have the Super Bowl equivalent final..
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/s18-on-its-way.13275/

Now you complain over shite.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The 4 conference system was crap.
With or without that the draw was crap (I think impacted SA more than any other Nation and we didnt get it good in Aus).
It's bullshit that one SA conference doesnt play NZ, demeans their claims.
And with or without any of that, Aus was far and away the most crap conference in Super Rugby 2017. Big time. Why point the finger at Africa? We were shite.

Personally I blame the ARU, but while the Aus franchises descend into recrimination, I'd like to think it isnt necessary here at GGR to do the same with our African posters.

T

TOCC

We discussed this kak competition way back before it started. You were one of the first to back it then

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/s18-on-its-way.13275/

Now you complain over shite.

Appreciate you taking the time to trawl back though my comments... but had you read further you would see what that article referred to was the embryonic phase of what actually eventuated, that article states 2 Argentinian teams were likely at the time, no mention of Japan and no mentione of a convulted system which unfairly qualified teams for the finals.

Besides, I have no qualms admitting that I was wrong about something, I thought the competiton could work, but its pretty bloody clear now that it isn't, and it's not going to be resolved by cutting an Australian team and two South African ones.

the imbalance in some South Africa teams not having to play New Zealand teams is just one of many issues this tournament currently has.

Reactions: dru

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Appreciate you taking the time to trawl back though my comments. but had you read further you would see what that article referred to was the embryonic phase of what actually eventuated, that article states 2 Argentinian teams were likely at the time, no mention of Japan and no mentione of a convulted system which unfairly qualified teams for the finals.

Besides, I have no qualms admitting that I was wrong about something, I thought the competiton could work, but its pretty bloody clear now that it isn't, and it's not going to be resolved by cutting an Australian team and two South African ones.

the imbalance in some South Africa teams not having to play New Zealand teams is just one of many issues this tournament currently has.
Trust me it did not took me long because I
expect moans like yours. When teams don't play each other and the same oppotion there will be excused like yours.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Trust me it did not took me long because I
expect moans like yours. When teams don't play each other and the same oppotion there will be excused like yours.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

That doesn't really make sense.. but ok, agree to disagree on the imbalance in the current format which sees some teams not play other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.