• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
SS still there....just talking about national comp instead of Super Rugby. ie remove ourselves from Super Rugby and be like equivalent to NPC.

He also states that whether national domestic comp viable for broadcasters etc is of course the unknown/ bit not sure about.

Look I don't think it is as easy as lets replace Super Rugby with a national NRC style comp but rather a mix of things which could include a national NRC style comp (semi pro perhaps as well) but probably with participation (but with less teams) in some sort of Asian league. I just think we do need a national NPC type comp above SS, PR etc as well as some sort of participation with less teams in some sort of Asian Pacific/Trans Tasman league.

I am the first to admit such scenario's would take a lot of detailed modelling and some other opportunities to get such things like this to work (e.g TF providing some seed funding?).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would think that the most likely direction from an ARU headed by Papworth (or anyone similar) would be retracting from everywhere outside of Sydney and Brisbane and focusing on the traditional rugby strongholds.

And let's be honest.........

"Sydney" actually being a small cluster of elite suburbs, mostly north of the harbour.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
While we're being honest, let us admit that there is no magic bullet. No deus ex machina.

The heartlands of the game will continue to exist. Guess where they are?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
SS still there..just talking about national comp instead of Super Rugby. ie remove ourselves from Super Rugby and be like equivalent to NPC.

He also states that whether national domestic comp viable for broadcasters etc is of course the unknown/ bit not sure about.

Look I don't think it is as easy as lets replace Super Rugby with a national NRC style comp but rather a mix of things which could include a national NRC style comp (semi pro perhaps as well) but probably with participation (but with less teams) in some sort of Asian league. I just think we do need a national NPC type comp above SS, PR etc as well as some sort of participation with less teams in some sort of Asian Pacific/Trans Tasman league.

I am the first to admit such scenario's would take a lot of detailed modelling and some other opportunities to get such things like this to work (e.g TF providing some seed funding?).

Can't see any new ideas at all there that haven't already been put under the microscope here on GAGR. I am still a bit bewildered by the apparent two directions. A national comp like the NPC - so what exactly is the NRC? Already exists as far as I can see, but soon to be minus the Spirit apparently.

I presume the "some sort of Asian League" is where the Brumbies, Rebels and Force are seen to be involved. I ask again, where do the Reds and Tahs fit into this scenario.

Sorry, but I cannot see anything new being brought forward here, and each of the new comps as I understand them are nothing more than a take from many of the posts here talking about options, and there are many hurdles in front of each before they get to be anything other than pie in the sky.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nothing new BR but I guess someone like Papworth a bit more public rugby figure pushing for something than some lesser known persons on this site. It is when things like this get supported by well known rugby figures in the public domain they get more traction then just being debated on a website like this.

The NRC proposed by Papworth as being a long form comp run as opposed to current short form comp. And no he was not advocating anything outside of this at professional level and hence comments of Asian league alongside this is my view as only way could probably work (with less teams participating but compensating this by long form NRC).

Not looking to open up this debate again as yes all these permutations have indeed been discussed on here and yes only conclusion is no easy conclusion as would require some quite detailed analysis, considerations and consultations to come up with anything sensible and willingness of ARU to undertake this (read - highly unlikely if past experience any indication).

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Nothing new BR but I guess someone like Papworth a bit more public rugby figure pushing for something than some lesser known persons on this site. It is when things like this get supported by well known rugby figures in the public domain they get more traction then just being debated on a website like this.

The NRC proposed by Papworth as being a long form comp run as opposed to current short form comp. And no he was not advocating anything outside of this at professional level and hence comments of Asian league alongside this is my view as only way could probably work (with less teams participating but compensating this by long form NRC).

Not looking to open up this debate again as yes all these permutations have indeed been discussed on here and yes only conclusion is no easy conclusion as would require some quite detailed analysis, considerations and consultations to come up with anything sensible and willingness of ARU to undertake this (read - highly unlikely if past experience any indication).

Interestingly, a Papworth led Eastwood is now sole controller of the NRC Rays

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
The hard part about club v NRC v Super Rugby is that as a society we tend to like our 'footy' played between march and sept - then we duck off to Bathurst for the cars, and then the spring carnival followed first cricket test...

I know there's a global rugby calendar but domestically there is only time slot for a week in week out type comp to deeply engage fans. Test rugby is easy to engage with outside that window - but how do you get the limited number of rugby fans we have as a niche sport to coalesce around one comp? Currently march to June/August is splitting fans between club and Super Rugby, and then NRC is pushing it uphill to overcome the handicap of being after the national 'footy season' is over.

Only one of club v NRC v Super Rugby can be the star comp at the 'right' time of year.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So while the ARU are busy trying to destroy rugby in Western Australia the NRL have today announced they will play a double header at the new Perth stadium more than likely the first event at the new venue.

The mind boggles

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/pert...e-double-header-rather-than-afl-ng-b88581345z

Come on now, Western Force was never going to pull a crowd to play there, and it's outside of the test window for the ARU to try get in first. This is pointless bitching at it's best.

NRL are always looking to play a big game(s) at the new stadium.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Come on now, Western Force was never going to pull a crowd to play there, and it's outside of the test window for the ARU to try get in first. This is pointless bitching at it's best.

NRL are always looking to play a big game(s) at the new stadium.
Where did I say the force could have open the venue that isn't my point the point is the ARU are removing rugby in wa and the nrl are planning on moving in.

Status
Not open for further replies.