• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Super 16, maybe, but there's no way SARU are going to agree to a full round-robin, something they weren't keen on even when it was Super 12 & started actively opposing from the first expansion.

I know. But that's the suggestion. I think it will be interesting in how they react. If it isn't with their usual outrage I'd bet they'lol shift north en mass as soon as the current broadcast deal ends.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah well. Stuff them from my perspective. Hopefully this will put a rocket up the Unions to look to run the competition separately and as a bloody business as opposed to the status quo.

Form an independent body with a separate administration in a centralised structure with the Unions having seats on the board. It's something Super Rugby desperately needs across the board.

Thing is what will they do if (or when) come 2019 the SA franchise announce their intent to head north now they door has been opened?

How would this end up being any different to the ARU? The state Unions have always been a big part of the problem. They have to go along with the ARU.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Super 16, maybe, but there's no way SARU are going to agree to a full round-robin, something they weren't keen on even when it was Super 12 & started actively opposing from the first expansion.
Do you think the Saffers oppose things so they can say I told you so or complain that things were done over their objections?

dru

David Wilson (68)
I doubt SA had any premeditated intentions. Opportunity presented itself and they nailed it to the floor. It's the first example of SARU competence in a long time and they (well) nailed it.

Nor is this the only sign of SAFFER (administration) resurgence. They hit their nadir and have now bounced.

ARU seem to plummet in a bottomless black hole.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This is interesting from many angles, including the material re SkySport losing huge numbers of viewers from/via the Super 18, and the money they are proposing to infuse into the Pro12, and more:

IMG_1675.JPG

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I doubt SA had any premeditated intentions. Opportunity presented itself and they nailed it to the floor. It's the first example of SARU competence in a long time and they (well) nailed it.

Nor is this the only sign of SAFFER (administration) resurgence. They hit their nadir and have now bounced.

ARU seem to plummet in a bottomless black hole.

Did they plan this. I seriously doubt it. But if the door is open opportunistically I can see them barreling through.

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is interesting from many angles, including the material re SkySport losing huge numbers of viewers from/via the Super 18, and the money they are proposing to infuse into the Pro12, and more:

View attachment 9456

Not sure if it's coveted in the article but apparently eyeing up the Champions Cup as its the games featuring the Irish teams that rate the highest.

With SA looking north and a potential bidding war between Sky and BT and Pro could be looking up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
$ for $ Pro12 with South African Sides is a much better deal for South African Broadcasters, between time zones and the Irish Sides.

Reading McKay's article screams hopeful desperation rather than anything solid from outside Australia.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Moreso as we are so hopeful could create an economically viable trans tasman comp involving pacific island countries, sunwolves, argies, oz and nz sides....sadly I dont' think the economics could stack up (moreso read pacific island countries but note World Rugby supportive)....but gees would be great comp if it could....I don't think I would want to close down that dream quite yet.....did I say world rugby supportive.....

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Another incredible number, the decline in viewership (4m) is pretty much the entirety of our total Super Rugby viewers on Foxtel for the year.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Another incredible number, the decline in viewership (4m) is pretty much the entirety of our total Super Rugby viewers on Foxtel for the year.

Your the numbers man, is there a danger that the SARU could move on block at the next media deal to Europe. Can the Pro competition absorb all the new teams.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Your the numbers man, is there a danger that the SARU could move on block at the next media deal to Europe. Can the Pro competition absorb all the new teams.
Pro12 broadcast deal is pretty tiny at the moment, around 10m gbp a year iirc. Plenty of opportunity for expansion, if there's an audience.

Will be interesting to see if they can get more interest out of the big eu/GB broadcasters with the teams proposed

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moreso as we are so hopeful could create an economically viable trans tasman comp involving pacific island countries, sunwolves, argies, oz and nz sides..sadly I dont' think the economics could stack up (moreso read pacific island countries but note World Rugby supportive)..but gees would be great comp if it could..I don't think I would want to close down that dream quite yet...did I say world rugby supportive...

Personally I'd prefer to see something based primarily around the Pacific. So our 5, NZ 5 the Sun wolves and Fiji. I think that would be a fairly entertaining competition.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Pro12 broadcast deal is pretty tiny at the moment, around 10m gbp a year iirc. Plenty of opportunity for expansion, if there's an audience.

Will be interesting to see if they can get more interest out of the big eu/GB broadcasters with the teams proposed

12 m gbp according to the bbc.

SAANZAR is about $200 million per year.

There is going to have to be a massive increase the the Pro12 revenue to make this work.

In addition, apparently the Pro12 are going to require beefing up of the talent in the two teams.

And it is going to go live in 2 months ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40464201

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Broadcast deals in general are/have been a smaller proportion of a NH clubs revenue as compared to Match Day revenue (typically stadium ownership or very favorable deals due to heavy Competition) and Sponsorship.

Plus there's European Cups TV fees on top of that.

This is a Pro12 deal as much as a SARU deal remember. They're slowly but surely falling further behind of the French and English Clubs, and this is clearly the best change they could make that will hopefully result in that gap closing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Personally I'd prefer to see something based primarily around the Pacific. So our 5, NZ 5 the Sun wolves and Fiji. I think that would be a fairly entertaining competition.

The killer with any competition along these lines is the demand by NZRU to play games against South African teams. As long as they veto any proposal which doesn't give them that, it won't happen.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
But there comes a point where you can only demand that if the opportunity exists. If the SA/Pro12 thing works, in 2020 SA may take that opportunity off the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.