• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Mutual friends told me before all this hit the fan that he would not seek renewal when his contract expires.
Yep. At the presser he demurred by saying he would not seek another "five year" deal.

But, by his body language, Pulver wants out.

He's had to backtrack on his words and plans and fall in line. The Super Rugby "chop or cut" debacle coming on top of that seals his fate anyway.

It's actually Clyne now that has to go.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
More speculation from the click-bait crew.

It's really, really fucking simple: If Coxy is a man of his word, he will not be selling the Rebels licence if the intent of the ARU is to fold the club.

If he is not a man of his word, he will be looking for maximum profit and selling up.

The question is: What kind of man is he? Rock solid or an opportunist?

I have no reason to question his intent at this point.

Note also that the WA gov has ruled out additional cash baking to the WF. The Vic gov is still committed to additional funding.

In a nutshell: The WF has a contract, the Rebels have a licence. The ARU have shit for brains.

End of summary.

I can only imagine the state of your keyboard as you smashed that one out...

Interesting the WA government aren't committing any funds. I guess the new incoming government took one look at the books, had an "oh fuck" moment, then decided to tighten the purse strong on anything that won't get them re-elected in four years.

And yes, I still believe a man's word is his bond, so I don't believe Cox intends to sell the Rebels.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's what I tried, but only returns content from April 9. I've done this from multiple networks (Telstra and Optus), so think the content hasn't been cached on their CDN.

I typed 'aru will toe the'

if you finish the sentence it picks up content on toe the line

D

daz

I can only imagine the state of your keyboard as you smashed that one out.

It broke. that is number 17 in 3 weeks.

Oh, by the by, my theory for why the media has turned from the WF to the Rebels is pretty simple: There is no noise coming from Vic, unlike WA, who have gone postal.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
And yes, I still believe a man's word is his bond, so I don't believe Cox intends to sell the Rebels.
Cox is going to be out of pocket by a couple of bar per year.

If he's going to wear that, then he'd want to hope Rebels fans are turning up at the till.

Or muller the ARU for the difference.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nope, still fucked. I'll just leave it for now. Unless there is anything interesting anyone wants to cut-and-paste here.

It was all abit of nothing. After reading it, i dont feel more comforted about the Rebels staying next year and i don't feel more worried about them receiving the chop. Same could be said from a Force point of view.

Really was an article for the sake of an article.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
It broke. that is number 17 in 3 weeks.

Oh, by the by, my theory for why the media has turned from the WF to the Rebels is pretty simple: There is no noise coming from Vic, unlike WA, who have gone postal.

Yep. I think they're trying to squeeze a response out of Cox, but he's not playing ball. No doubt Tim North has told him to keep quiet until they decide what to do, otherwise, it could prejudice any legal proceedings.

Unline Clyne, who tried the megaphone negotiation in the public arena, and had it magnificently backfire on him. Notice now he's towing the line.

I have to admire the approach they've taken, avoid this negotiation by media crap. Get it done properly, nothing is missed. Although, I think there could have been a little more grassroots activism from the Victorian community. TBF, we (the Rebels) didn't really think we were under threat until the April 9 press conference. Explains why Cox was on holidays in Queenstown at the time.

Reactions: daz

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
It was all abit of nothing. After reading it, i dont feel more comforted about the Rebels staying next year and i don't feel more worried about them receiving the chop. Same could be said from a Force point of view.

Really was an article for the sake of an article.

Which goes to the whole clickbait theme.

For example, Monday night: Wayne Smith "Rebels to sue ARU", Herald Sun "Rebels to get the boot". Now, both of these publications are owned by uncle Rupert, seem to cite the same references, but used two totally different editorial lines.

Sadly, we don't have much else to read, and they are filling the void that should be filled by the ARU.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Because it applies or because horse racing is exempt?

latest

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Interesting the WA government aren't committing any funds. I guess the new incoming government took one look at the books, had an "oh fuck" moment, then decided to tighten the purse strong on anything that won't get them re-elected in four years.

I don't think they should be committing any public funds anyway. Not for a pro team.

D

daz

I don't think they should be committing any public funds anyway. Not for a pro team.

Agree in theory with that, TBH, but the side-effects of a city based pro-team (if at all quantifiable) such as hotels/food/pubs/general money splashing into other sectors might mean a few dollars from the tax payer each year is a good trade-off.

An average 9,000 fans per game (my guesstimate) is not huge by AFL or Soccer standards, but is still a good earner for the Southbank/Richmond/Precinct traders, especially when there is no AFL scheduled.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I can only imagine the state of your keyboard as you smashed that one out.

I think he is a businessman and needlessly pissing off the state government and a number of highly connected business people interested in rugby doesn't make much sense. He could have just not commented on it at all.

But seriously, who knows what on earth is going to happen. I don't. You don't. And it is pretty bloody clear the ARU don't.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Depends on the social license they bring to the community BH.

If they add broader community value, a government will buy in. Both social and economic capital.

B

BLR

Note also that the WA gov has ruled out additional cash baking to the WF. The Vic gov is still committed to additional funding.

Where are you getting this from?

My understanding is it is on equal footing on this regard.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree in theory with that, TBH, but the side-effects of a city based pro-team (if at all quantifiable) such as hotels/food/pubs/general money splashing into other sectors might mean a few dollars from the tax payer each year is a good trade-off.

An average 9,000 fans per game (my guesstimate) is not huge by AFL or Soccer standards, but is still a good earner for the Southbank/Richmond/Precinct traders, especially when there is no AFL scheduled.

It's a good point, but when you've got a State Government in as much debt as ours is I want them to be chopping as much out of the expenses column as possible. Anyway, I've got no control what happens at Parliament House so shouldn't worry about it really!

Reactions: daz

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Depends on the social license they bring to the community BH.

If they add broader community value, a government will buy in. Both social and economic capital.

For community sport I can see the argument but have a hard time buying it for professional sport.

D

daz

Where are you getting this from?

My understanding is it is on equal footing on this regard.

Just what I saw in the WA papers. In between these dates, it appears there was some reports of gov assistance, but the last paragraph seems to close that out. The only mention of cash injection is the current Road Safety sponsorship of $1.5m.

From the West Australian, 12th April:

The Premier said he telephoned ARU chief executive Bill Pulver last week to make his views clear.
But he indicated additional financial assistance from the Government to support the Force was not a possibility, following a state-backed major sponsorship around road safety.
"I want the team to remain but I don't want the state to go into any further financial debt, in terms of the ARU, to support that," he said.
The Force is currently owned by the ARU after recent financial difficulties, which led many to believe cutting the Perth-based side will be the easiest option as opposed to the privately-owned Rebels.

The West Australian, 9th May
WA Sports Minister Mick Murray has said the State Government would seek to enforce the agreement terms. The Government last night denied reports they were set to compensate the ARU for $5 million if the Victorian Government pulled out of any funding for a Bledisloe Cup if the Rebels were cut. It also denied it was prepared to fund the Force for $2 million a year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
They are not separate though. They leverage each other and that effect is what governments are interested in. AFL is the obvious example.

Status
Not open for further replies.