• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It would make more sense to merge the Rebels and the Force.....

To quote Chris Dutton - "Better to join two struggling teams than sink a successful one."

I'm sure there's a profitable Star Wars tie in to be had there?

Long time since the Brumbies have been "succesful"

It's not the basis of the argument in my opinion.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am all for keeping the 5 teams, but it seems due to the incompetent buffoons at the ARU one has to go.

It seems to be that the Rebs & the WF have signed contracts guaranteeing their position in super rugby until at least 2020.

It seems that all the Brumbies have are unenforceable promises from the ARU. I'm sure the WF & the Rebs from experience will tell you that they, the ARU, are an unreliable self serving ally at best.

Therefore when it comes to the crunch they will be protecting themselves. That means, imo, not allowing any dirty deals to be exposed in a court case which seems to only be an option to the WF and the Rebs.

Unfortunately this leaves the Brumbies exposed.

I personally think all teams should band together and ask/tell the ARU to re think the super options with SANZAR to allow five teams from Aus and then they should sack themselves.

When the dirty deals are the sort referred to police and ASIC and have various financial settlements with the usual non disclosure clauses plus court suppression orders of accountancy investigations reports you real really don't want anything coming out and the ARU chosen one Thompson is now in charge is he not? And an ex-copper to boot IIRR.

B

BLR

They've made the finals every year for the past 4 years...

Where there has been a guaranteed Australian team & two of the teams have been trash whether through poor management or uneven top up distribution.

Finals is great but ask any AB's fan after 2011 and they will tell you winning is the only thing that REALLY matters. (now they have the monkey off their back)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Funny name for a japanese person.
A cynic might think the sunwolves are merely a 7th super team for NZ

Indeed. The idea that some here are trying to advance that the NZRU have some sort of altruistic streak to assist other nations is a fiction of titanic proportions.

The NZRU are in it for NZ rugby, nothing more and nothing less (as one would expect). But let's not try to pretend that they have some desire to help Australia, Japan, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji et al.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It seems that all the Brumbies have are unenforceable promises from the ARU. I'm sure the WF & the Rebs from experience will tell you that they, the ARU, are an unreliable self serving ally at best.
i am trying to tell you that these are not "unenforceable promises" - http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/promissory_estoppel.asp.
You should not assume that the ARU is free to turn their attention to the brumbies as a means of avoiding litigation: they are not.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
i am trying to tell you that these are not "unenforceable promises" - http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/promissory_estoppel.asp.
You should not assume that the ARU is free to turn their attention to the brumbies as a means of avoiding litigation: they are not.

Well, if they've made promises to the NSWRU and the QRU (behind closed doors as is their ususal MO), then they've managed to put themselves into a position where they are guaranteed to lose - a familiar position for the ARU.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where there has been a guaranteed Australian team & two of the teams have been trash whether through poor management or uneven top up distribution.

Finals is great but ask any AB's fan after 2011 and they will tell you winning is the only thing that REALLY matters. (now they have the monkey off their back)

Except that the Brumbies (and Tahs) were deserved finalists on points in all of those years except for 2016, and both of them were in the top 4 two of those years (plus Brumbies runners up, and Tahs champions in 2013/2014 respectively)........

The Kiwi teams are irrelevant to this discussion, unless they're also facing the axe?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
half.

Why are the kiwis so keen that we should lose a side but the Sunwolves survive? Because with Japan as an ally the tiny NZ market no longer needs Oz for the television $$$

Its not beyond the realms of possibility from my understanding of String Theory, but it is a very long bow.

I think more likely they look at the basket case ARU and remember being screwed over instead of assisted to meet the clean stadia requirements for the 2003 RWC and just sit back now and say well well well, what goes around.....

Unfortunate and maybe a bit short sighted, but then again maybe not, because Australian Rugby is professionally screwed in terms of real development pathways and unlikely to be a significant adversary of quality except in a 1 in 10 games scenario.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Its not beyond the realms of possibility from my understanding of String Theory, but it is a very long bow.

I think more likely they look at the basket case ARU and remember being screwed over instead of assisted to meet the clean stadia requirements for the 2003 RWC and just sit back now and say well well well, what goes around...

Unfortunate and maybe a bit short sighted, but then again maybe not, because Australian Rugby is professionally screwed in terms of real development pathways and unlikely to be a significant adversary of quality except in a 1 in 10 games scenario.
The clean grounds issue was of their own making and was sandbagging, their bluff was called.
Be that as it may I don't think we should assume NZ are in this for anyone but themselves. It's hard to see why they would help us now that the game is so global.
How much longer is the ARU going to string this out? McCardle and co suggested the lack of contract offers for non-wallabies might be a distraction which explains the super season to date.

B

BLR

The Kiwi teams are irrelevant to this discussion, unless they're also facing the axe?

Ok, I will put this in plain English for you. Who gives a toss if you get into the finals, you didn't win the bloody thing.You don't see ticker tape parades for getting knocked out in the Quarter Finals.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok, I will put this in plain English for you. Who gives a toss if you get into the finals, you didn't win the bloody thing.You don't see ticker tape parades for getting knocked out in the Quarter Finals.

Yeah, but it sure beats challenging for the wooden spoon every year.......

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I always think of Day of the Triffids when that quote brought out. I wonder who we can characterise as a deadly parasitic plant with a hive type intelligence?

Google reckons this, but it just looked like a massive bell-end to me.
corpse-flower-02.jpg

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The clean grounds issue was of their own making and was sandbagging, their bluff was called.

Be that as it may I don't think we should assume NZ are in this for anyone but themselves. It's hard to see why they would help us now that the game is so global.

How much longer is the ARU going to string this out? McCardle and co suggested the lack of contract offers for non-wallabies might be a distraction which explains the super season to date.

Yes the clean grounds issue was of their own making, just like the ARU failures over the last 15 years is theirs/ours. JON MK1 could have been less grasping and pulled the then NZRU aside and said look, this is the IRB rules, the stadia have to be clean we have been given a go it alone option but we don't want to do it....... No what was done was take the opportunity to get the dollars for the ARU so they could "piss it up the wall" (Copyright Bill Pulver 2016).

The "distraction" excuse is the best sugar coating the Fox team can come up with given the total lack of anything nearing quality from the Australian sides since blaming dew every week the whole season makes one look like a dick (please take note Tim Horan and George Gregan)

Status
Not open for further replies.