• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BLR

Would it be that difficult to switch the Sunwolves with the 5th Australian team in the 15 team model? It'd be a pretty straight swap as they'd be in exactly the same conference and in pretty much the same time zone. And it would save some money in terms of travel.

This would be preferable to Fox Sports and you'd have to think at least neutral to the other broadcast partners, other than those in Japan, and I've never read anywhere that the broadcast deal in Japan is significant?

The ARU were apparently paid $30 mill or so with the inclusion of the Sunwolves were they not? Surely they would have to pay that back.

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
Melbourne is a class conscious society, rugby certainly ticks some useful boxes, not to mention its presence in the GPS system and presumably the universities

Agree there is a presence.
But the difference between the first XVIII and first XV at a school is massive.

Many players in the Vic first XV wouldn't make school firsts in NSW/Qld

L

Leo86

Mate, I'm only laughing because if I don't, I'll be crying.

The pure reality is that all Force and Rebel fans are standing against the wall waiting for the rifles to fire.

We may as well have some fun with it before we go!

Admittedly i did smirk when reading it, and im happy that banter can still ensue but likr you said, very close to crying.

Rebels and Force fans are the ones with their backs to the wall but as is already known this situstion is hurting rugby altogether. Thats why I hope to see all super rugby sides/fans in protest. Instead of those who think this will be some magical cure to our woes.

S

sidelineview

Agree there is a presence.
But the difference between the first XVIII and first XV at a school is massive.

Many players in the Vic first XV wouldn't make school firsts in NSW/Qld

The Vic team were very well performed in last year's Schoolboy Nationals.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Vic team were very well performed in last year's Schoolboy Nationals.

Our schools rugby union comp is obviously second to the Football and Soccer programs, but it's a well run and coached league. Most players obviously wouldn't make 1st XV in NSW or Qld, or the Aussie Rules 1st XVII, but a hand full from each rugby program would.

The being said, it's important to understand the core of Victorian rep teams come from club rugby, and thus state and non-elite schools. This club competition is fierce, physical, skilled, and the bodies are big. To be fair though, the structures/game plans (or lack thereof) is a little sub-standard for a lot of teams.

Here's a point of focus though - at a time where other states are complaining about elitism and private school bias in the game, you have Victorian as probably the only state that doesn't have that problem.

And, if you believe much of the G&G talk, we're the most deserving of the chop.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our schools rugby union comp is obviously second to the Football and Soccer programs, but it's a well run and coached league. Most players obviously wouldn't make 1st XV in NSW or Qld, or the Aussie Rules 1st XVII, but a hand full from each rugby program would.

The being said, it's important to understand the core of Victorian rep teams come from club rugby, and thus state and non-elite schools. This club competition is fierce, physical, skilled, and the bodies are big. To be fair though, the structures/game plans (or lack thereof) is a little sub-standard for a lot of teams.

Here's a point of focus though - at a time where other states are complaining about elitism and private school bias in the game, you have Victorian as probably the only state that doesn't have that problem.

Almost word for word of what the situation is in WA too.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
(ii) the ARU would seemingly grant a full rugby playing rights license to a party in a major State that permits that party to retain that license solely at its own discretion and without relation to, e.g., team performance KPIs, commercial KPIs such as crowd sizes, sponsorship revenue etc, financial conditions, and such like. What now seems to be the case is that no such conditions exist in this licensing agreement and that Cox can retain the VIC rugby license at his own whim with no formal recourse to any of Rebels' team or business or such like outcomes that would in principle protect the ARU's interests if the licensee (Cox) did not perform to expectations. This all despite the fact that the ARU was/is itself providing Cox large, multi-year cash subsidies to prop up the Rebels' financial losses.​
If (ii) is in fact like that, in all my global deals with multiple licenses and license rights agreements, I have never seen a rights license agreement as dangerously one-sided and thus highly problematic (for the ARU) as this one involving the ARU and Cox appears to be, and Cox is clearly telling the media etc that this is in fact the way it is and, short of him selling his license, the ARU will have to lump the startlingly one-sided terms they have agreed to.

RH, in many, many years of contracting and leasing for a largish Commonwealth body, I would also have to say if (ii) is correct, it is the worst bit of contracting I've ever come across. It is inconceivable that such power would be given to one party without some sort of counter-balancing provision in case of unforeseen circumstances, as has now apparently happened.

S

sidelineview

There was nothing sub standard about the Vic Schoolboys team last year. Very impressive and with an ounce more luck could have found themselves in the Final. They were big tough and skilful.
I didnt realise they were drawn mainly from state schools. Thats a pleasant surprise.

WA Schoolboys werent too bad either

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Don't know, after the crowd at the Saders game last week they might start to realise no one wants to see the Sunwolves play.

Their inclusion is less about seeing them play and more about the NZRU growing its profile in Japan.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The problem with Rugby in Australia is that it lacks the social licence of its competitors. No dis-respect intended but it has remained in the niche of the elite for so long. It needs somebody from outside the base to work on that.

The growth pathways and associated funding options are there if it can demonstrate value add within the wider community. The big problem is that it is so far behind it's competitors and that competitiveness for a piece of the pie is lacking. It's a wicked problem but somebody needs to break through. AFL is the Rolls Royce here as it has the power to change lives at a very young age and there are so many ways to incentivize participation. AFL in the NT does such amazing things with the demographic. 33% Indigenous with an intergenerational problem of ingrained disadvantage. You tell an Indigenous kid no school, no footy and watch his attendance and learning increase. Programs like Clontaf do exactly that. No surprise that AFL gets the lions share of the public funding pie.

Rugby does have scope to work towards social licence. We have a childhood obesity problem in this nation and Rugby is the game for all shapes and sizes. That's one area rugby can have value add in the broader community.

We need a CEO with sports admin experience but also a strong understanding of a commitment to community service. We need members of the board that understand community service. I don't mean to make it political but as a result of rugby's conservative base, it doesn't fully comprehend the need for progression.

I think that is how we build up rugby in Australia. It won't be easy and will won't happen overnight but we need to get the process started.

Ref_Ted

Ward Prentice (10)
If there are any doubts that rugby is in trouble:

Attachments

• 21-04-2017+2-14+PM+Office+Lens.jpg
    21-04-2017+2-14+PM+Office+Lens.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 310

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's somewhat ironic that the CEO is do dismissive of club Rugby, when a ho hum game like Rats v Parra significantly out draws the Tahs v Brumbies game, on a secondary channel with a very basic telecast.

Yep, but this is the same CEO who was hanging out with the corporates at Randwick races when the Shute Shield grand final was being played.

Status
Not open for further replies.