• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The ARU is not the only sporting body in this country facing a revolt....

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...boycott-over-boardroom-stoush-20170419-gvniwk

From my viewpoint Netball Australia have introduced new competition with best ever pay deals including maternity leave and a window between 9am and 4pm where players can study / work, a new TV deal, a competition that has received more publicity.

Despite this great work with the new competition the introduction of 3 new teams associated with footy teams seems to have put the noses of Netball NSW and Queensland out of joint. They have lost some of their power and they are attempting to regain some of that power through their votes for directors. The players are obviously happy with current board and are putting forward their support.

Reaction of Netball NSW and Queensland would be similar to what NSWRU and QRU would be if there were any future proposed changes to ARU that would reduce their power / standing.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reading about McCusker on Wikipedia:

"In October 1997, he was involved in the rescue of two men, including former Australian rules footballer Brian Sierakowski, whose surf ski had been bitten in half by a five-metre (16-foot) long white pointer shark 50 metres (160 ft) off of Cottesloe Beach."

5m Great White... and he went out there on his own paddle board to help him
The ARU must look like a sardine in comparison

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
From my viewpoint Netball Australia have introduced new competition with best ever pay deals including maternity leave and a window between 9am and 4pm where players can study / work, a new TV deal, a competition that has received more publicity.

Despite this great work with the new competition the introduction of 3 new teams associated with footy teams seems to have put the noses of Netball NSW and Queensland out of joint. They have lost some of their power and they are attempting to regain some of that power through their votes for directors. The players are obviously happy with current board and are putting forward their support.

Reaction of Netball NSW and Queensland would be similar to what NSWRU and QRU would be if there were any future proposed changes to ARU that would reduce their power / standing.
Except this is the players talking about revolt, not some blazer wearers wanting the secret circle to remain intact.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Georgina suggests centralisation model cant work in Australia due to the power of the NSW and Qld.

Search Slashed and burned: What's next for Australian rugby?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ainty-loom-as-challenges-20170413-gvku4o.html

Australia's governance model is a legacy of the sport's amateur roots. Rugby grew out of communities in Queensland and NSW and there its power base still resides. Certainly the ARU holds tight to the national purse strings, doling out broadcast and Test match revenue to the state unions and professional clubs. But under the constitution it can do very little to change the fundamental structure of the game without the approval of the Queensland and NSW rugby unions, who are the game's major voting members.

The article also confirms some Force fans assertion of unfair distribution of player top up funding.

The whole institutional framework of Australian rugby belongs and in effect remains in the 1970s that that status is in significant part to blame for the parlous, mismanaged, woefully degraded and incompetently led state of the code in 2017.

The 'power base resides in NSW and Old'. That's because the ARU board members and the board members of those two State RU form a de facto alliance of perpetuated mutual back-scratching whereby they each agree to keep the other in place via their respective powers, in the case of the ARU its grant-giving powers, in respect of the State RUs these bodies continually voting for the retention of ARU board members on the ARU board as the implicit quid pro quo.

This defines serious, institutionalised conflict of interest abnormalities and derivatively negative incestuous culture-building.

The lack of responsible resolution of these abnormalities has led to the mutually convenient non-confrontation of the chronic mutual non-performance of core leadership duties by the ARU and the State RUs in the interests of the broader rugby community.

The results of this structural delinquency are startlingly obvious today.

The conflict of interest abnormalities are blindingly obvious: the ARU in effect by its grant powers from Super XX, Wallaby and WorldRugby income could easily completely control and reform the State RUs (as their solvency totally and utterly depends upon the ARU's grants and always has) but it perpetuates the convenient factual and legal fantasy that these RUs are 'independent entities' when they are no such thing and never will be. Clyne even called them this fallacious untruth last week and stated (paraphrasing) 'this (independent entity status of the State RUs) adds real complications to how we run the code'.

FFS - if your money as franchise grantor (the ARU) totally props up and sustains the economic survival and solvency of the franchisee the franchisees are NOT 'independent entities' in any honest and legally valid sense of the term 'independent'. You control them, you can make them better, you can ensure their boards and coaches and CEOs are of the requisite competency; in fact, that is what you must do in order to honour your duties as capital and solvency provider to these parties with responsibility for the entire code's health across the board.

But note: the ARU have never acted upon this constructively intrusive principle, rather it has negligently let the State RUs routinely degrade themselves into positions of reckless mediocrity.

Witness the many poor HCs and CEOs the ARU has blithely permitted the State RUs to commit to their own little (highly predictable) suicides only to be followed by large ARU 'oh dear' bail outs using $ capital that should have instead gone to build the code, not crisis-manage it for surely short-term survival needs. Why are the Force and Rebels really in trouble - principally because their elite coaching and business management has never been up to the standards required to build them properly, and now the piper is being paid.

So, despite being totally dependent upon the ARU for their livelihood, remarkably the children State RUs get to vote on and in effect control who is on the board of the parent, namely the ARU that every year hands them their economic survival mechanism! Thus the parent board members know full well if they over-confront and upset the State RU boards they could be voted out of their 'prestigious' ARU board positions and thus be very publicly 'embarassed', 'humiliated' even in the ANZ Stadium corporate-boxes-world so dear to their ego-emblazoned hearts.

The whole set-up is ludicrous and it's wholly clear therefore why there has been no substantive reform of the entire Australian rugby governance edifice for decades and why the 'good rugby men' we all come to know have as their glaring consequence a state of institutional being such that no senior party within the Australian rugby governance elite is ever truly responsible and accountable in a meaningful form for any action or any policy or any calibre of personal leadership.

Because accountability is not what the entire system is based upon; rather it is based upon self-preservation and a kind of sick continuity of habitual conduct as to how mediocrity is inferentially endorsed and protected as the enduring and unreformed MO of the whole.

Then we have the equally toxic flip-side. In any discussion re the conversion of the entire Australian rugby system into a local version of the indubitably more successful NZ one with its intelligent centralisation of costs and quality of player and team development, well of course the critical, core reasons why this notion has never gained any traction in the Australian rugby system are that:

(a) the alleged 'independent State RU entities' of course value their invulnerable, non-accountable, non-responsible 'prestige' roles and VIP boxes and so forth but (and this is far more valid and legitimate) and the ARU tolerates this obvious professional negligence for its own indefensible reasons

(b) because (via the above MO's inherent attributes and values) the ARU does not possess and never has, not even vaguely close, the proper calibre of executives, both business and rugby-technical, essential to undertake a centralising mission (and related policy formulations and enforcements) of the kind that the NZRU has so competently deployed and, to its great credit, continued to enhance over many years and especially since the 2007 RWC AB loss.

The ARU cannot even vaguely competently deal with the decision-making around which S18 team to drop, let alone how to design and lead, for example, the centralisation of player recruitment, development and judicious allocation, the centralisation of critical skills programs, the centralisation of code ticketing and marketing, the centralisation of elite coach development and allocation, and such like.

To fix (b), the State RUs accurately know that the ARU would have to be massively reformed and heavily skills-upgraded. Blind Freddy can see that they are right. But the crucial point is that, as argued above and totally evidenced by the relevant State RU boards' course of actual conduct, for self-preservation-related reasons, in no way do these State RUs want to commit a form of enlightened suicide and help the ARU become the calibre of entity it needs to be to meaningfully begin to restore the code's fortunes in Australia.

So, we see so painfully yet so clearly, how the cycle of mutual assured destruction via mutually assured insularity and mutually assured low competency of the State RUs and the ARU in unison has led to an irreversible death spiral we have now almost certainly entered.

The sustained deep deficiencies in the long-standing institutional model as practiced by the ARU and its supplicants, the State RUs, has 'killed the caring' of the very community that trusted in these bodies to give them something they so longed to care for, and with good reason as they played the game in their formative youth with joy and heart, or laughed with pride and pleasure as their 10 year son or daughter came home that special winter's day and declared 'I just can't wait for next week's game Dad (or Mum), I really love it'.

These fans and adherents rightly trusted in their elites to do so much better on their behalf than they have. In that reasonable hope, they have been betrayed.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The whole institutional framework of Australian rugby belongs and in effect remains in the 1970s that that status is in significant part to blame for the parlous, mismanaged, woefully degraded and incompetently led state of the code in 2017.

Excellent post RH. The best critique of the state of rugby administration in this country that I have ever read.

Extending your point slightly further, why in 2017 is the basis of the administration still based on 19th century colonial borders? I note that in England (which is infinitely larger in terms of players and clubs), that clubs affilitate directly to the RFU.

The RFU is an industrial and provident society owned by over 2,000 member clubs, representing over 2.5 million registered players, and forms the largest rugby union society in the world, and one of the largest sports organisations in England. It is based at Twickenham Stadium, London.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Except this is the players talking about revolt, not some blazer wearers wanting the secret circle to remain intact.

Players are threatening action in response to Netball NSW and Queensland trying to regain some of their lost power by voting out certain directors.

dru

David Wilson (68)
The only thing that the members of the ARU Board (and their state counterparts) will fight tooth and nail for is the self-preservation of their positions.

Thanks QH for the intro. I dont think so.

Geez Reds Happy off with the post of all posts. Where next? Still trying to wrap my head around this.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Players are threatening action in response to Netball NSW and Queensland trying to regain some of their lost power by voting out certain directors.
I'm still trying to get my head around which state board member,the Tahs or reds players would go to war for.
Highly doubtful IMO,and deservedly so.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Witness the many poor HCs and CEOs the ARU has blithely permitted the State RUs to commit to their own little (highly predictable) suicides only to be followed by large ARU 'oh dear' bail outs using $ capital that should have instead gone to build the code, not crisis-manage it for surely short-term survival needs.

These fans and adherents rightly trusted in their elites to do so much better on their behalf than they have. In that reasonable hope, they have been betrayed.

In a very thought provoking and well argued post, this section caused me the most concern.
I take away the thought that there are no people in Australia capable of running either State or National rugby bodies.
Tell me I am wrong. Please.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The RFU is an industrial and provident society owned by over 2,000 member clubs, representing over 2.5 million registered players, and forms the largest rugby union society in the world, and one of the largest sports organisations in England. It is based at Twickenham Stadium, London.

A far cry from "57 old farts running rugby" isn't it? I think of all the RU's around the world that England may have navigated tempestuous waters of professionalism the best. Wasn't always the case though, but they seem to have a good setup now.

I'd like to see us move well away from the NSW/QLD centric view of the rugby world we have at present. I don't mean this to in any way diminish the contribution those two states have made to the game, but it seems to me that the century old shit fight that we've endured with their rivalry has held the game back, both in the past and at present. Those comments from the the Chairman of the NSWRU just confirmed my disdain for the patronising and self-serving view that we sometimes hear out of the East when it comes to the game in this country. I know NSW rugby fans are aghast at the comments, as expressed here, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum. There are clearly 57 old farts of our own who hold those views.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A far cry from "57 old farts running rugby" isn't it? I think of all the RU's around the world that England may have navigated tempestuous waters of professionalism the best. Wasn't always the case though, but they seem to have a good setup now.

Their appointment of Ian Ritchie as CEO has been their most astute appointment. He's now managed to turn Wimbledon and the RFU around.

He's a sports administrator as opposed to a corporate hack.

I'd like to see us move well away from the NSW/QLD centric view of the rugby world we have at present. I don't mean this to in any way diminish the contribution those two states have made to the game, but it seems to me that the century old shit fight that we've endured with their rivalry has held the game back, both in the past and at present. Those comments from the the Chairman of the NSWRU just confirmed my disdain for the patronising and self-serving view that we sometimes hear out of the East when it comes to the game in this country. I know NSW rugby fans are aghast at the comments, as expressed here, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum. There are clearly 57 old farts of our own who hold those views.

As Reds Happy has noted, the NSWRU & QRU boards are constantly lobbying to secure their own positions, rather than trying to give rugby in their respective states an advantage. There's a subtle difference.

As but one example, which illustrates their thinking. The NSW government is about to spend over a billion dollars upgrading major sports grounds. One proposal was to demolish the SFS (Alliance Stadium) and built a brand new 60,000 seat stadium purpose built for the rugby codes and soccer. NSWRU didn't have to spend a cent. All they had to do was to play home games at Homebush for 2-3 years during the construction. Roger Davis (Chairman NSWRU) vehmently opposed it - playing at Homebush would ruin us he said, no one will come. The statistics actually said that the Waratahs had regularly drawn more spectators to Homebush than to the SFS over a number of years, but what it was all about was not wanting to play in the west for 2-3 years.

To these guys, Parramatta is too far west and not part of their little rugby heartland, let alone Western Australia. Many rugby supporters in NSW have a similar opinion of the NSWRU as people are expressing of the ARU, which Reds Happy encapsulated so well in his post. A self-perpetuating oligarchy of corporate hacks and networkers, devoid of a positive vision for the code (in contrast to the steps which the RFU has taken).

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It's interesting to note, that the Celtic teams were making a few noises about a South African alliance. Conversely, I actually wonder whether we may see something develop in the future, where they join Super Rugby and the competition is finally split into two manageable separately scheduled leagues based on time zones, with a Super Bowl finish?

I'm sure there has been some long-term theorising on this idea.

NFL teams still play many teams outside their conference during the regular season.

Two totally separate conferences isn't going to fix much, just a larger version of the same problem caused by the current system - half the teams in the comp never playing the top teams during the regular season.

Some of the Celtic teams are absolute shit too, would probably be worse than the current free ride South Africa gets.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some of the Celtic teams are absolute shit too, would probably be worse than the current free ride South Africa gets.
Yes, we get a huge free ride. I mean the only foreign side to beat a Kiwi team has been a Saffa team and they in turn were beaten by last year's Saffa finalists conceding a bonus point loss at home. Not to mention our poorest side gave two Aussie sides a good go on tour and the Sunwolves have run many close and beat the Bulls.

Yeah, so much easier than the trend-setting Aussies.

Not to mention our franchises face a shadow test side in the Jaguares whilst they are fresh. By the time they have reached Australia they have toured SA twice already.

Status
Not open for further replies.