• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I must say, I haven't been a big Papworth fan previously, but he makes a very good case here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No. Its not a very good case. But I'm starting to lean back towards his outrageous one-eyed proposals because the're better, I think at this stage, than the alternate one-eyed proposals we are offered.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No. Its not a very good case. But I'm starting to lean back towards his outrageous one-eyed proposals because the're better, I think at this stage, than the alternate one-eyed proposals we are offered.

There's hope for you yet dru :)

Reactions: dru

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

It was the first Papworth article that showed:

a) an understanding of rugby beyond Eastwood, and
b) an actual IDEA! Can you believe it! A tangible proposal for action.

Of course there was the usual rubbish thrown in (apparently we need to fill the board with 'rugby people', whatever that means), but hey at this rate he might produce a top-to-bottom cogent article within the next 2-3 years. Progress!

dru

David Wilson (68)
So I find myself with the "feint praise" behind the Pap.

In the mean time I am increasingly underwhelmed with the ARU in their B Plan. Simply isnt one. Agree with Clyne that you cant really call a bluff on NZ when you dont have a B Plan. It kind of begs a question. Doesn't it?

I honestly think, time in Aus out of Super, building that B (domestic rugby) might not be all bad for the long run of this sport in Aus. OK much better to roll Super at the same time. Much better.

But something has to give. I don't know if the SRU have the answer to a domestic programme. (I've been pretty sure they dont, but life's rugby confidences seem to be getting somewhat hazey of late). But the only alternate is the NRC. Now I love that comp, but I doubt it will get out of the tragics into the broader world. I'm equally aprehensisive with what the SRU might give us. But maybe it's time to bring them into the tent.

Geez. Cant believe I actually wrote that. We are indeed in shite times.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

In the mean time I am increasingly underwhelmed with the ARU in their B Plan. Simply isnt one. Agree with Clyne that you cant really call a bluff on NZ when you dont have a B Plan. It kind of begs a question. Doesn't it?

I honestly think, time in Aus out of Super, building that B (domestic rugby) might not be all bad for the long run of this sport in Aus. OK much better to roll Super at the same time. Much better.

But something has to give. I don't know if the SRU have the answer to a domestic programme. (I've been pretty sure they dont, but life's rugby confidences seem to be getting somewhat hazey of late). But the only alternate is the NRC. Now I love that comp, but I doubt it will get out of the tragics into the broader world. I'm equally aprehensisive with what the SRU might give us. But maybe it's time to bring them into the tent.

Can't believe I kind of half agree - I don't think we can retreat and regroup we'd be swamped if we couldn't trade on the international part of the weekly comp. that's our point of difference.
Losing the June tests will help too.

S

sidelineview

Yep all GPS fault. They should be cast aside and let club rugby run the show.
Oh hang on 80% of club are private school kids. ??? Especially after 12..
Becareful you don't destroy your own market club land

Even though rugby numbers have been eroded by the growth of soccer and AFL in recent years, GPS and CAS schools have remained strong points for rugby in Sydney.
Rugby supporters can be thankful for that.

However, while the AFL marketing machine has made great inroads into school sport, the ARU and rugby authorities have done what to promote the game and keep up?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No one knows the solution with certainty.
But anyone who has given any thought at all to it, would identify that we are ever so slowly being professionally steered into a mother fucking iceberg.
Changing nothing is settling for a death by a thousand cuts.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No one knows the solution with certainty.
But anyone who has given any thought at all to it, would identify that we are ever so slowly being professionally steered into a mother fucking iceberg.
Changing nothing is settling for a death by a thousand cuts.

I think we've already hit the iceberg. Not enough lifeboats for everyone, and the band plays on as we sink beneath the North Atlantic.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Until Clyne came on board, we don't even seem to have had a plan A. We've jumped onboad the super express and held on for grim death in the hope that we (a) arrive where it is we want to go and (b) survive the trip.

I've always advocated for everyone to be in the tent. Hoping that people that we disagree with will just give up and go away seems a rather folorn hope that some have held for some time (including the CEO).

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
For probably the first time ever I read something written by Brett Papworth that I somewhat agreed with. As Barbs said he actually stopped talking his book for a moment and addressed some wider issues. His description of the ARU AGM was eyebrow raising to say the least.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
I am in the US on business and sorta no time to post.

Just read JON & Alan Jones articles.

Just found out about the Force or Rebels.

I will post more when I get back, but I am over it TBH. Rugby is very close to loosing me even on this site.

The inability to plan long term and have almost no feel for park teams has just lost me.

Two NZers over here with us and they have stopped watching Super Rugby saying both us and SA are shit. Was an interesting comment. They watch local rugby now.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
The ARU says they will have more money for grass roots as they will no longer have to prop up Super Rugby teams.

All Australian Super Rugby teams have at sometime been bailed out by the ARU. They have the 'too big to fail' mentality in how they are run, by their Directors. Whats to say with 4 teams there won't be further bail outs and therefore no money for grassroots.

The ARU should come out and say the first team that becomes insolvent is the one to go. Their will be no bailouts and Directors of these clubs will be personally liable for insolvent trading. This will send a message to all clubs that they have to be run responsibly. This is the problem the ARU must solve.

I suspect if the ARU was to take this approach it would be the Brumbies that would collapse. A report into their financial dealings that is not being released and the Canberra mentality that there is always a grant or a handout around the corner, would make it hard for them to survive.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I suspect if the ARU was to take this approach it would be the Brumbies that would collapse. A report into their financial dealings that is not being released and the Canberra mentality that there is always a grant or a handout around the corner, would make it hard for them to survive.

How many bailouts have the Brumbies received from the ARU so far?

I'm too impatient to wait for a response - zero. They're the only team not to be bailed out by the ARU.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is what worries me if.reports are true that south Africa has a plan b for cutting teams to add teams to another competition.

The aru don't even seem to have a plan a let alone a plan b. I have never been so concerned with the lack of strategic direction a national sporting body has like the aru. We need some better quality strategic thinkers on the board and not just ex wallabies.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
How many bailouts have the Brumbies received from the ARU so far?

I'm too impatient to wait for a response - zero. They're the only team not to be bailed out by the ARU.

No different to any other Australian Super Rugby club they all have the mentality that the ARU will bail them out.

Hope I didnt keep you waiting to long!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/237dc9381cb2856d237c7383c18d282b

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...p/news-story/dfe254d976316c0cd636b08a7564b840

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...in-as-he-signs-with-japan-20111226-1uvt0.html

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm well aware of the Brumbies current financial standings............

They're projecting to make a profit this year.........

That extremely outdated 2011 Canberra Times article has zero relevance though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I'm well aware of the Brumbies current financial standings....

They're projecting to make a profit this year...

Those 2 extremely outdated 2011 news articles have zero relevance though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is what worries me if.reports are true that south Africa has a plan b for cutting teams to add teams to another competition.

The aru don't even seem to have a plan a let alone a plan b. I have never been so concerned with the lack of strategic direction a national sporting body has like the aru. We need some better quality strategic thinkers on the board and not just ex wallabies.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

We have seen via Brett Papworth's article the "process" of filling board positions. It doesn't seem like much of a process to me. How does anyone apply to stand for a position for example? It seems to me like a self-perpetuating oligarchy to me.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I'm well aware of the Brumbies current financial standings....

They're projecting to make a profit this year...

That extremely outdated 2011 Canberra Times article has zero relevance though.

It contains the quote if you read the whole article by the ten CEO Andrew Fagan and goes to my point that the Australian Super Rugby clubs run their operations poorly as they believe the ARU will always bail them out, the Brumbies are no different.

"Everything's already funded, so nothing changes in that regard,'' Fagan said.
''There's zero impact on the high-performance program and the sponsorship is just irrelevant to it. It's a really simple formula - either we'll get it replaced or we'll get a loan.

''We'll enter into arrangements with the [Australian Rugby Union] if we fall short.''

Status
Not open for further replies.