• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I basically agree with that. I think 5mil is set a bit low for what 'success' looks like, but it shows consumer intent if nothing else.

If they only make 5mil I feel like the second 'float' will have to happen pretty quickly.

It doesn't close until July, so if they're already somewhere near $5 million in the next couple of weeks you'd think they'll push a fair bit over 5 by the time it closes. But I basically agree they need to get closer to 10 to really make a sustainable difference. That would hopefully allow them to set up a substantial future fund and limit the need for future floats. In the Australian today Wayne Smith said they've already hit $3 million.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
First post for a many year lurker at G&GR and also a Force supporter.

I think the criticism of the Force from a financial perspective is a bit unfair. AFAIK we have only hit the ARU up for 4.7mil? in 12yrs and had to hand over our licence to receive it. A requirement no other team has had to fill.

Then for what ever reason we are perceived to be habitually in need of financial support from the ARU and on the same level as the Rebels and others regularly needing assistance.
When in reality we had one bad situation in which we needed help and have since found a way to extract ourselves, Own The Force, and also secure our future needs.
But its seems that this is still not enough to satisfy some here.

After doing a quick search I found 2 articles on the Rebels covering the years 2013, 14 and 15. If I have read them right, and I do not have any inside info or are an expert in these areas, the Rebels received 15.8mil from the ARU?

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...ars-says-ceo-peter-leahy-20150421-1mq0f5.html

http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au...sed-deficit-but-it-is-not-all-doom-and-gloom/

In addition a poster at TWF, General, indicates that the first private owner of the Rebels cost the ARU 12mil?

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=38704&page=2&p=426088&highlight=#post426088 The top post.

Maybe there are informed posters who could confirmthese figures and the components of the 28mil loss that the ARU Chairman keeps going on about

Edit: sorry, the 15.8mil includes the expected min of 2mil loss for 2016

S

sidelineview

Just on the grassroots stuff, Matraville High, the home of the Ella brothers and Russell Fairfax and others, and winners of the Waratah Shield 5 times is advertising 2018 Talented Sports Programmes for Soccer, Rugby League and Netball.

The once strong Waratah Shield has taken a nose dive as well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah, there's issues with private schools in rugby for sure, but the ARU let them run it themselves. They (the schools) have big rugby budgets anyway, and that's completely independent to the ARU.
Budgets & Funding have nothing to do with their world view.
My point is basically, due to their narrow experience, they literally don't understand the issues.
Pulver turns up to his kids GPS School Rugby, and cos it looks just as healthy as it did in his day, he assumes Rugby juniors are doing well throughout the country.
Ditto all the other board members who all share the same upbringing.
But it's not.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
there was an interesting perspective in the Australian today about the ARU constitution and board structure from the point of view of who has voting rights, Rugby WA do, the Force don't because in effect the ARU own the Force, the VRU do and the Rebels do also. If a vote comes to disenfranchise a member eg the Rebels, it has to be unanimous, in that case the Rebels cant vote but i assume the VRU will vote against the motion which will be lost.

S

sidelineview

My point is basically, due to their narrow experience, they literally don't understand the issues.
Pulver turns up to his kids GPS School Rugby, and cos it looks just as healthy as it did in his day, he assumes Rugby juniors are doing well throughout the country.
But it's not.

I agree. It shouldn't be independent to the ARU.
The rugby authorities need to take ownership of school rugby; get involved, otherwise they will continue to allow AFL and soccer and in the case of Matraville High, rugby league, to steal their lunches.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Yep all GPS fault. They should be cast aside and let club rugby run the show.
Oh hang on 80% of club are private school kids. ??? Especially after 12..
Becareful you don't destroy your own market club land

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've now gone through the Jones interviews. Well done to Clyne for fronting. Well done to Clyne for staying cool. Well done to Clyne for the on-going offer to return.

And for me a big thumbs up to Jones for venting. Found it kind of cathartic.

I found the right nterview with RWA somewhat shallower, I'm impressed with how they are trying to dig out of there hole and am hopeful for them. But Sauer does not come across as a future head of ARU (as Jones claims) he comes across as a pasionate driven leader of RWA. Go for it Sauer.
I think what Jones said about the aru needed to be said personally as they have an appalling track record over the last 15 years and need to be held accountable for the damage their poor strategic management of our game in oz has had. I find it laughable some of the piss weak attempts to defend the aru on here.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
But it's not.

It's doing better in Victoria and WA, but it probably won't be doing better in one of them next year. :(

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Mate, I think you'd agree from the general climate around Aussie rugby that a tight deadline is pretty important.

The Force could've down own the Force last offseason, but without pressure they weren't moved to action, and isn't that kind of the issue? The pressure won't always be there.

Own the Force is a reaction to an issue, it isn't done because the WA community just needed a way to love the Force just a bit more.

Digger, stand down. Leave the us-against-them for us Sandgropers.

:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep all GPS fault. They should be cast aside and let club rugby run the show.
Oh hang on 80% of club are private school kids. ??? Especially after 12..
Becareful you don't destroy your own market club land

Brilliant.
GPS marches to its own drum - thats why 2 schools don't play first, one school doesn't play thirds and another school sends its year 9s to the Jungle.
Its all the ARU's fault - thats the point: because they see the world through north shore GPS eyes everything looks Rosie.....and even thats a flawed view: there are some non blondes at Shore these days

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodges wife not pulling any punches
Screenshot_20170413-173340.png
Screenshot_20170413-173349.png
Screenshot_20170413-173355.png

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Really?
You dont think I could have sent him to any school I felt like at any stage but we chose an education? And, as a matter of logic, if I had a grudge against the GPS why would I absolve them of blame?
As I said, brilliant.

Wasn't asking for his CV... Never doubted his ability as a sportsman.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting article from South Africa. A possible entry to Europe?
8 pro teams not 14 in SARUs future
by Brenden Nel 13 April 2017
South African rugby is likely to comprise of eight professional teams in future, with the rest being semi-pro or amateur, if the big changes proposed to the structure of SARU are undertaken.​
The eight teams – four in Vodacom Super Rugby, and four in a possible competition in a new market, backed up by a strong Currie Cup competition based on strength vs strength are part of the radical changes being proposed to SARU’s structures in future to streamline the game and bring rugby into a sustainable future.​
It is clear the current structures aren’t working and despite the outcry over the axing of two Super Rugby teams this week, results underline SARU’s contention that the economy of the game at the moment can only support four franchises in the competition.​
But while the pain of being excluded from Super Rugby is a bitter pill to swallow, SARU are busy with plans to find a new home for the two axed teams, as well as a new competition where four professional sides can support their Super Rugby allies in a second-tier competition that would see new markets being explored.​
SARU CEO told journalists this week that with the advent of the global season being finalised by World Rugby, it now meant that SARU could well look to new markets for new competitions. But this would mean taking some tough decsisions in the interests of SA Rugby.​
…​
“There has been a pact between the southern and northern hemisphere not to do any deals until that has been sorted. The global season has been sorted until 2032, we know every nation we will play against until 2032.​
“We always have to allow for different competitions and now for the first time we are being approached by different entities for us to play.”​
…​
SARU’s franchise committee is currently busy reviewing criteria to choose the two sides that will exit Super Rugby at the end of this season.​
Read more: http://www.supersport.com/rugby/sa-rugby/news/170413/8_pro_teams_not_14_in_SARUs_future

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
no not backing away from my view that GPS has left a bad taste in your mouth.. just my view that u mask your opinion to air club vs school stance.

So let me see if I understand your allegation: I blame the ARU for the sate of the game because I have a grudge against the NSW GPS?
Is that you Donald?

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Mate, I think you'd agree from the general climate around Aussie rugby that a tight deadline is pretty important.

The Force could've down own the Force last offseason, but without pressure they weren't moved to action, and isn't that kind of the issue? The pressure won't always be there.

Own the Force is a reaction to an issue, it isn't done because the WA community just needed a way to love the Force just a bit more.

the Force initiated expressions of interest last year-the issuing of the prospectus has only just been released because of hold ups/queries from the regulators,this has not been a last minute,stitch together proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.