• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We need some better quality strategic thinkers on the board and not just ex wallabies.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

People like Elizabeth Broderick? A distinguished lawyer with an international reputation in a number of areas?

Pip Middleton? MD of Microsoft Australia? What would she know about strategy?

Ann Sherry? Look her up.

We are enormously fortunate to attract people of this stature. Of course we also need people who have excelled in the game at the highest levels.

Is John Eales a dope? (Maybe Paul McLean is, I do not know).

Cameron Clyne had a long career in financial and general consulting internationaly with PWC before joining NAB and ending up as CEO. Another dill who knows nothing about strategy.

Who do you have in mind? Superman?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
LEAVE THE ARU ALONE!!!

leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It contains the quote if you read the whole article by the ten CEO Andrew Fagan and goes to my point that the Australian Super Rugby clubs run their operations poorly as they believe the ARU will always bail them out, the Brumbies are no different.

And in the six years since then factors might have changed to stop that kind of thinking......... such as maybe the risk of a team being cut?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
People like Elizabeth Broderick? A distinguished lawyer with an international reputation in a number of areas?

Ann Sherry? Look her up.

We are enormously fortunate to attract people of this stature. Of course we also need people who have excelled in the game at the highest levels.

Cameron Clyne had a long career in financial and general consulting internationaly with PWC before joining NAB and ending up as CEO. Another dill who knows nothing about strategy.

I've actually looked them all up on the ARU website, which has a little CV for each.

Cameron Clyne stands head an shoulders above the rest of them. He appears to have a strategy and seems to have driven the latest moves from the ARU.

As for John Eales, if you move the word "is" in your question and make it a sentence, I'd agree. Great rugby player, but that's it.

And I'd love some evidence of this strategic thinking that these people have set in place.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes qh we need to review governance processes for aru board selection and key management positions in aru as the problems lay at the top. State unions though equally are not blameless. I.e. we need a review and restructure of Australian rugby structures as clearly fractured and not working with any strategic cohesion. What a bloody mess is Australian rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wamberal perhaps some strategic thinkers who understand about large scale sport administration. Your defence of the aru is amusing as clearly strategic failures so we need to look at whether we have the right mix of people on the aru board as evidence shows they have failed inability to provide the right strategic direction for our game.

It is about having right mix of complementary talent on the board and evidence clearly suggests there are gaps that need to be addressed. How on earth you think we don't need changes to the aru board after monumental fails is beyond me and you discredit yourself with your refusal to acknowledge Changes are required and offered no such thoughts on changes needed.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Ann Sherry? Look her up.

Agreed, the idea the ARU is full of incompetent people has taken root and it is wrong.

What they have done over leveraged themselves because they were too optimistic and really wanted to deliver certain things (like a market presence in Melbourne). Boards are meant to make objective decisions, so it's pretty surprising intelligent people did this particularly considering there were reports saying team 5 was a bad idea delivered by top consultancy firms.

Rugby is the 4th most popular winter sport in AUS that exists within an ecosystem where other countries can write bigger pay cheques, in markets with stronger currencies and more favourable tax situations. It's bloody hard to compete.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Some suggestions for improving the gene pool of the ARU Board

Gary Burns – Sports Broadcasting expert
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/03/gary-burns-quits-fox-sports.html

Anthony Everard – T20 Big Bash Manager
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...h/news-story/3b81f8a71417507e9ef2c607b6197aef

Colin Smith – Sports Consultant
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ng-the-code-in-australia-20170316-guzcop.html

Liz Ellis – former Netballer and Sports Administrator

http://www.lizellis.com.au/corporate

dru

David Wilson (68)
A couple of days ago, trying to calm down, I went out of my way to list things where the ARU was deserving of respect within the current situation. Time to consider why I still dont like it.

1. Even Pulver confirms his previous belief of a necessity in Aus for a national footprint. This now overridden by fiduciary responsibility regarding solvency. The second does not absolve the first! When and how did this startegic change occur? The matter should be expanded.
2. The board CVs look impressive. Female quota - "check". Money experience - "check". Legal experience - "check". Administration background - "check". Even with the claimed rugby experience these guys could be a board in insurance, banking, whatever. There is a smattering of rugby administration experience, but rugby operations experience seems to be limited to Stooke (RWA) and Robinson (HPU). Normally more admin experience than operational experience wouldnt bother me in a board, but right now at the ARU it does.
3. Setting fiduciary responsibilitie at solvency is important, but it's a low bar. Its also a cop out to be saying its the State RUs who are responsible for the mess. The directors are responsible for approving strategy and answering to - actually to who? Not the fan I suspect.
4. Investing in "grass roots" is just as disengenuous from Clyne's mouth as it is from Dwyer or Begg. What does it mean? Who gets the funds? Who controls them? East v nation, Premier v Community, School v Club. What is actually being proposed?
5. Grass roots does nothing to address the National footprint of pro (or at least broadcast) rugby.
6. Cutting RWA definitely is a high risk of NOT concentrating the talent, but simply severing a big chunk of rugby. Similar re Vic RU. What happens next guys? You did not even see the City Bus (of litigation) heading at you. When are you going to look at what needs doing to hold the rugby community, at least in some lessor way, that you are severing?
7. I would have thought NRC features in that somewhere, but questions were responded along the lines that it was irrelevant to this issue. Really?
8. The PR during this period has been truly apalling. Direct ARU responsibility for that.
9. The impact on the players and families lives is outrageous. The lack of any obvious process or policy is unacceptable. The well being of your people must come first!
10. The actions of the ARU have led to a plethora of negative press, a free kick to the sporting competition. ARU is responsible.

Without looking to many of the generalities, simply the strategic failure (of expansion and 5 teams), presumably a strategy approved by the Board, begs accountability. That means a hell of a lot more than having the balls to front Alan Jones.

The biggest killer I leave to last. The ARU's chart showing cost success relationship to the number of teams does NOT justify cutting to 4 teams. No, no, no, not at all. It justifies cutting to 3! Does anyone think SANZAR, already planning more changes in 2020, have missed this? Holy-moley.

I'd even be happy to discuss 3 teams. Hell 2, or just have the WBs for that matter. The problem is you need a plan around the National footprint and the ability have the State RUs actively engaged, and an enthusiastic NATIONAL fan base.

That requires our largest geographic state and our supposedly soon to be largest city. This current strategy does nothing for this.

But hell, as we shrink to irrelevance, the Directors will be able to justify they met their personnal liabilities related to solvency.

<slow clap>

Rant ends.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
How many of the current board who are having to make these unpopular decisions were on the board when we expanded to 5 teams? Not many by my count.

S

sidelineview

Good rant dru. Dont hold back next time ;)

Just on the grassroots thing, it's pretty simple:
Get in early and make an effort to sign the young kids up to play rugby. It wont happen by itself.
Every kid who starts playing soccer and AFL is lost forever.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The shareholders will raise the money to cover expenses. Coming up with an extra $2-$3 million every 5 years is much easier for 5000 people to cover than one individual constantly putting in $2-$3 million a year. It is all outlined in the prospectus.

If this model can help the Force to get to a point here they become a consistent playoff team for a couple of years running, they will suddenly become very attractive for a private investor.

I don't know, It just does not make sense to me to keep the Rebels at the expense of the Force. It just seems like the Rebels will always fight an uphill battle in the a market dominated by too many other sports.

The Force have a genuine chance of building a tribal stronghold backed by a more committed fanbase. This is not based on fact. Just an outsider's view.

It always appears as if the Rebels are treated as somewhat of a curiosity in Melbourne.

I just have a feeling that long term the answer is for the Force to be given every possible chance to succeed. And right now they are the better coached side what will benefit more from gaining a handful of quality players.

I know it's easy to say this because I am not vested in any way but it just looks that way.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Ann Sherry? Look her up.

That's impressive. However.

Any idea who has "responsibility" in their portfolio?

Whomever is in charge of overseeing communication must be stepped down immediately, regardless of credentials.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If this model can help the Force to get to a point here they become a consistent playoff team for a couple of years running, they will suddenly become very attractive for a private investor.

I don't know, It just does not make sense to me to keep the Rebels at the expense of the Force. It just seems like the Rebels will always fight an uphill battle in the a market dominated by too many other sports.

The Force have a genuine chance of building a tribal stronghold backed by a more committed fanbase. This is not based on fact. Just an outsider's view.

It always appears as if the Rebels are treated as somewhat of a curiosity in Melbourne.

I just have a feeling that long term the answer is for the Force to be given every possible chance to succeed. And right now they are the better coached side what will benefit more from gaining a handful of quality players.

I know it's easy to say this because I am not vested in any way but it just looks that way.
I have been trying to think of a way to articulate my own thoughts on the matter and you just did it for me.

Cox is a shrewd businessman and is a seller at the right price. Retention of the Force with the Brumbies extending their province to include Victoria seems the least painful and most logical way forward, from a player welfare point of view, working on the assumption that a team has to be cut.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The problem with the board is all bar 2 are from NSW. The perception be it right or wrong will Always be that the ARU are to Sydney centric it needs to encompass a broader range of people to promote the game as a national sport not just north shore.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Budgets & Funding have nothing to do with their world view.
My point is basically, due to their narrow experience, they literally don't understand the issues.
Pulver turns up to his kids GPS School Rugby, and cos it looks just as healthy as it did in his day, he assumes Rugby juniors are doing well throughout the country.
Ditto all the other board members who all share the same upbringing.
But it's not.

He will notice a few changes, including a purpose built Soccer stadium/grandstand on a field he used to play Rugby on. And he might also notice kids playing AFL and might even see AFL posts on A ground

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good point: hard to believe she isn't already there given where her husband went to school.
Surely we can shed this yoke.

School schmool. Who cares about which school people went to?

Frankly, a bit of the old school tie and/or university connection is actually good for the image of our game.

Our relatively good image is about the only real area of comparative advantage we have here.

We keep talking about the international aspect of our game. It's great as far as it goes. But it obviously does not go very far. The AFL and NRL have very little, but it does not seem to hamper their prosperity and popularity.

We need to do a bit of lateral thinking. There is no way that we can compete by going downmarket. The only slight chance we have is to be seen as a code for the aspirational demographic.

That overwhelmingly means people who either went to "good" schools themselves, and/or people who want their kids to go to "good" schools.

(I went to a state school, incidentally, and studied at night at one of the old technical colleges to get my AASA).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
School schmool. Who cares about which school people went to?

Frankly, a bit of the old school tie and/or university connection is actually good for the image of our game.

Our relatively good image is about the only real area of comparative advantage we have here.

We keep talking about the international aspect of our game. It's great as far as it goes. But it obviously does not go very far. The AFL and NRL have very little, but it does not seem to hamper their prosperity and popularity.

We need to do a bit of lateral thinking. There is no way that we can compete by going downmarket. The only slight chance we have is to be seen as a code for the aspirational demographic.

That overwhelmingly means people who either went to "good" schools themselves, and/or people who want their kids to go to "good" schools.

(I went to a state school, incidentally, and studied at night at one of the old technical colleges to get my AASA).
Hahaha, well done,Best trolling post in this thread.
The way to grow nationally is to focus even more on 6 or so privileged Schools in Sydney.....

Status
Not open for further replies.