• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From the way the Force CEO described this briefly to members was as an in addition to not part of Super Rugby. It was described as a comp for players to participate in during July August September

That makes sense - got to provide some pathways for Asia for them to develop. But yes not part of super rugby please.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
“I think there would be an appetite for it, particularly with the way the season is structured,” Deans said.
“You’d have a domestic competition concluded and a domestic champion, or ranking if you like. And then you go across border, so your support base would follow that with interest."

Now we are starting to talk sense, lets just put a full TT to rest. We tried that for 20 years and it was a fucking disaster.
Domestic competitions followed by champion league style comps, ffs it not rocket science.

This is fundamentally wrong- we had a competition in 3 plus countries in very different time zones (this is important). The most common issue that fans had with the old Super Rugby is that teams would disappear to South Africa for weeks at a time and be virtually inaccessible.
Super Rugby Trans-Tasman is 100% accessible at all times with high profile All Blacks - they are very different competitions.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is fundamentally wrong- we had a competition in 3 plus countries in very different time zones (this is important). The most common issue that fans had with the old Super Rugby is that teams would disappear to South Africa for weeks at a time and be virtually inaccessible.
Super Rugby Trans-Tasman is 100% accessible at all times with high profile All Blacks - they are very different competitions.

TT Checklist:

Time zone friendly - check
Country Team Participation Interest - check
Oz teams competitive with to keep local interest esp - Fail (come back next year with measures to improve e.g. imports?)

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I think of English Premier league and teams like Arsenal which is one of the most popular supported UK teams and remember the teams when I lived in London had anything from 0 to 2 English players in their squad at the time. Yep fans don’t give a shite whether team is half full of foreign imports but they do care about having quality players and quality teams that can win games.

Exactly right - let's make slightly alter the focus on the quality of the competition rather than on developing international players.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
TT Checklist:

Oz teams competitive with to keep local interest esp - Fail (come back next year with measures to improve e.g. imports?)

Add that for the domestic we really would want to increase teams, ie a quality drop per team. I'm increasingly curious about a hierarchy with two teams each in NSW and Qld, then condense for TT with Qld, NSW and the rest. Possibly utilising the WB coaching or at least a closer connection to it.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Before I start

Super Rugby out rates the A-League, Super Rugby crowds are better than the A-League, the A-League has been going down faster than a Kings Cross whore. All this makes the SMH article all the more galling.

The kind would say, my predication is proving to be correct.

The less kind would say, were did we go wrong,

The unkind would say, I Told You So,

The cruel would say, well WTF do you have to say now after years of putting !!!**** on ideas expressed.

The A-League alone, not including national teams just signed according to the SMH, a 200 million deal of which 160 cash and 40 million contras, with two A-League matches on 10 and one W-League match on 10. Plus a weekly channel 10 panel show.

NATIONAL DOMESTIC COMPETITIONS JUST F>>>>>>>>>>>>G work

Go to the US and copy their franchise systems, use the MLS it’s the newest and the best for Australian Rugby and build a NATIONAL DOMESTIC COMPETITION.

When FFA sell the National Teams, for whatever they get, it will a combined media deal somewhere between 50 & 70 million a year plus whatever they can sell overseas.

WE out rate, out crowd, and out media space the A-League, and they get double the deal after the FFA sign.

How does the Elton John song go, “””Sorry seems to be the hardest word””

If this does not convince any of the doubting Thomas's then nothing will.

Create a NATIONAL DOMESTIC competition run by the owners with the framework developed by RA.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Or if you wanted to follow the European model and structure the champions league throughout the domestic season on designated weekends, it could look like the following:

Week 1: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 2: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 3: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 4: champions league round 1
Week 5: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 6: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 7: champions league round 2
Week 8: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 9: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League (week off for all Test players in camp)

Week 10: Anzac Day Bledisloe Cup (bye for all non-Test players)

Week 11: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 12: champions league round 3
Week 13: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 14: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League
Week 15: champions league round 4

Week 16: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League (semi final)
Week 17: Super Rugby AU / Aotearoa / Top League (final)
Week 18: champions league final for each division: Cup, Shield, Plate

The benefit of this model is for those who felt a six team domestic comp would get a little stale, this structure helps takes care of that.

And for any Kiwis who were worried about the intensity of Super Rugby Aotearoa and potential player injuries, this structure gives the NZ teams plenty of 'breaks' throughout with games against Australian and Japanese teams.

I'd take either one of those structures. Though the first one would be the likely better option if they ever wanted to expand participation.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Before I start

Super Rugby out rates the A-League, Super Rugby crowds are better than the A-League, the A-League has been going down faster than a Kings Cross whore. All this makes the SMH article all the more galling.

The kind would say, my predication is proving to be correct.

The less kind would say, were did we go wrong,

The unkind would say, I Told You So,

The cruel would say, well WTF do you have to say now after years of putting !!!**** on ideas expressed.

The A-League alone, not including national teams just signed according to the SMH, a 200 million deal of which 160 cash and 40 million contras, with two A-League matches on 10 and one W-League match on 10. Plus a weekly channel 10 panel show.

NATIONAL DOMESTIC COMPETITIONS JUST F>>>>>>>>>>>>G work

Go to the US and copy their franchise systems, use the MLS it’s the newest and the best for Australian Rugby and build a NATIONAL DOMESTIC COMPETITION.

When FFA sell the National Teams, for whatever they get, it will a combined media deal somewhere between 50 & 70 million a year plus whatever they can sell overseas.

WE out rate, out crowd, and out media space the A-League, and they get double the deal after the FFA sign.

How does the Elton John song go, “””Sorry seems to be the hardest word””

If this does not convince any of the doubting Thomas's then nothing will.

Create a NATIONAL DOMESTIC competition run by the owners with the framework developed by RA.

Its also divided by 12 teams across 27 competition weeks.

The RA deal (yes it includes Wallabies matches) is divided by 5 teams with a top up element to it which is the equivalent of probably another team in salaries. With the amount of fixtures probably been 35% of what the a league deal is offering

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe not japanese involvement just yet?
McLennan confirmed on Wednesday talks were “not advanced”, saying that Australia and New Zealand have bigger issues to sort out before bringing another nation and more games into the frame.
“I’m up for a team or two out of Japan at some stage but Trans-Tasman is the priority for us for the moment, which will form the backbone of any future competition,” McLennan said.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Are you sure you're not gilding the lily Eastman? In recent years I don't remember any teams disappearing to South Africa for more than two weeks and the popularity of Super Rugby continued to slide the whole time.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Are you sure you're not gilding the lily Eastman? In recent years I don't remember any teams disappearing to South Africa for more than two weeks and the popularity of Super Rugby continued to slide the whole time.

Reds went to South Africa then followed up with a bye. Rebels & Tahs went to SA followed by an away game in Australia.
So cities went to one game, then had to wait four weeks for the next. Not great.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Reds went to South Africa then followed up with a bye. Rebels & Tahs went to SA followed by an away game in Australia.
So cities went to one game, then had to wait four weeks for the next. Not great.

Just checked and in 2018, Reds went a run of: Jaguares away, Stormers away, bye, Brumbies away, Waratahs away.

So they had one home game on the 10th of March with the next one being 21st of April.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)

A 2 week tour of South Africa or Argentina, meant over 3 weeks on the road and with barely any local media coverage of the team. 3 weeks is an eternity in the current sporting landscape

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe not japanese involvement just yet?
McLennan confirmed on Wednesday talks were “not advanced”, saying that Australia and New Zealand have bigger issues to sort out before bringing another nation and more games into the frame.
“I’m up for a team or two out of Japan at some stage but Trans-Tasman is the priority for us for the moment, which will form the backbone of any future competition,” McLennan said.
Makes sense given TT cannot be hailed as a success for oz rugby at this point and hence bit of work behind the scenes for RA to do

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...competition-is-premature-20210526-p57v9x.html

“I’d be open to a Japanese team coming into our Super Rugby AU comp,” McLennan said on Wednesday. “We could take a sixth team.”

New Zealand has pushed hard for two others sides - Fijian Drua and Moana Pasifika - to join in a 12-team competition but that is not guaranteed, given it would need to be signed off by RA.

There are private concerns as to whether the teams will be competitive next year. There is no guarantee RA will sign off on their place in the 2022 competition.

It is interesting that NZ are wanting the Drua and Moana Pasifika and it appears that RA prefer Japan.

This could be an interesting fight between the nations.

Personally I would prefer a few Japanese teams compete in the Australian competition but do not know how this would work in with their normal season.

An 8 team, 14 round regular season with a three week finals series would be great, the 18th week could be a one off championship game against the NZ winner.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A 2 week tour of South Africa or Argentina, meant over 3 weeks on the road and with barely any local media coverage of the team. 3 weeks is an eternity in the current sporting landscape

Again, is that accurate Adam? Two games away covers perhaps 7 or 8 days plus a few more for travel. Probably closer to two weeks than three.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.