• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

What to do with JOC (James O'Connor)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'd leave JOC (James O'Connor) in the stands/bench.

Ashley-Cooper was sensational on Saturday, & your not going to be drop Ioane/Beale.

You do stupid things, somebody else may just take your spot/opportunity. Bad luck.

Yeah, you'd love us to have Quade as our kicker in a knock out game!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hornes starting, come the sharp end of the tournament. Deans has the same hard on for Horne as he has for Vickerman.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hornes starting, come the sharp end of the tournament. Deans has the same hard on for Horne as he has for Vickerman.

And it looks like he was bang on the money about Vickerman. Apples and oranges, but still.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think he'll be starting, unless it is one of those Deans pet-picks.

Personally, I'd like to see 12. Angaa 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would like to see a game with Fingers and Horne as the centre pairing. I'd expect some pretty good tackling.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
It's a tough one. Who do you drop to put him in. My first thought is that JOC (James O'Connor) will make it onto the bench versus Italy. He'll probably take off Horne I would think.
I think Barnes will also sneak his way onto the bench and that Deans will rever to a 4-3 split.
TPN, Slipper (is he ready to go?) Sharpe and Higgers with Burgess, Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor)

Onlly guy in the backline you can drop is Mccabe really....but tough call!

Italy will be a tough game. A win for sure, but not a game deans can afford to take lightly and I think for that reason he'll start the team from last weekend and bring in JOC (James O'Connor), Burgess and Barnes on just after half.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Sawrley said on page 3

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. McCabe (ill add in here fingers - either or both strong runners great defensively - i just like fingers cuz im a QLDer)
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Ioane
15. Beale
------------------
21. Burgess- 9
22. O'Connor- 10, 11, 12, 14, 15

problem is too many good backs. personally i do not rate burgess at all

D

daz

I'm not sure of the debate here. I may be wrong (known to happen) but surely the lads will fight for position on the track and the Wobs selectors will pick a team based on the opposition for each game. Different opposition = different playing styles and therefore, players.

If that is not the case, all I will say is that the team that won last weekend deserve another crack together. They have earned that right. JOC (James O'Connor) and the other fringe players will just have to bide their time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
But he did?

The way I see it, Horne only made the 22 because Deans wanted to give Barnes and Mitchell extended runs for the Barbarians side. Remember, Horne is the only bench player not to make the field on saturday.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sawrley said on page 3

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. McCabe (ill add in here fingers - either or both strong runners great defensively - i just like fingers cuz im a QLDer)
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Ioane
15. Beale
------------------
21. Burgess- 9
22. O'Connor- 10, 11, 12, 14, 15

problem is too many good backs. personally i do not rate burgess at all

This has just occured to me...if Gits can do it, what about putting '9' next to O'Connor's name?

Next year, after Genia, the half back stocks are pretty thin so it would be ideal for someone with the right size and talent like JOC (James O'Connor) to be tried out at half back...

We have too much talent in other positions to leave out of the 22 altogether for someone with less talent just for one position only.

The Saffies and the ABs do it already with Hougaard and Weepu (to a lesser extent).

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think that might be thinking a bit too far out of the box Nudsan. But I agree that Burgess is a bit of a waste of bench spot, but he has to be there.

All this competition for spots in the backline must make Russia and US shit themselves (more then normal) as they'll probably be facing players like Barnes and Horne plus other potential starters like McCabe and Mitchell. At least if we have injury we are covered (touch wood).

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
9. Genia
10. O'Connor
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Fainga'a
14. Ioane
15. Beale

20. Burgess
21. O'Connor
22. Ashley-Cooper

T

TOCC

9. Genia
10. O'Connor
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Fainga'a
14. Ioane
15. Beale

20. Burgess
21. O'Connor
22. Ashley-Cooper

O'Connor is on the bench and starting 5/8?

Im sure you meant to have Cooper as 5/8, in which case i agree with your backline and bench..

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Me too, assuming a 4:3 split, of course. Otherwise I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I saw an article in the local rag today where Brendan Cannon is suggesting that a few senior wallabies are pretty much over the whole "Brand OÇonnor" carry on and the disrespect he has shown to his teammates, the game etc.. by not turning up for the photoshoot without a good reason. The suggestion is that he will find it hard to get back into the team.

If that's the case then I reckon good job. On top of the way that he exited the Force, the rugby hierarchy should be setting good precedent and coming down really hard on him. The clear message should be that no one individual is too big for the game. Might be a timely message for one or two others.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not really interested in commenting on the qantas thingy. But from a purely selection view point he may have dropped a spot. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a good game, Mitchell is coming back as well. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has done his dash at 13 and Ioane is the other winger O'Connor may struggle for a starting spot in the best team.

Sent using Tapatalk

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
As well as McCabe has done, I would like to see A. Fainga'a given another opportunity at 12. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can get back some good form at 13 given time and this could be crucial as he is the only player that we have that balances attack and defence. As others have mentioned this also leaves a spot for Mitchell to come back into and with a bit of luck he'll be in form.

As for the horses for courses idea, I am for it. If we were playing the ABs tomorrow I would be quite happy with the current backline and they certainly deserve a chance. However, before his injury was showing a greater willingness to defend with vigor and should be given a chance in the meantime.

In all likelihood someone will get injured and take this discussion away from us, which is great in itself... not the injury part. In 2007 our 1st15 was pretty obvious as there was no one else to step up. We were 1 injury away from failure, which really was the case when Larkham went down. I can't quite remember a player I was disappointed with missing out... except for drew mitchell - common theme me whanging on about him I've realised.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s only attacking option is to go himself. Fainga'a may not be as good going himself but he can pass. but all this has been said before.

Status
Not open for further replies.