• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

What to do with JOC (James O'Connor)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
With regards OC vs IC defensive difficulty, I don't think there is much in it. Some players had better completion rates in super rugby at IC, others OC. Fainga'a for example has 84% at OC, 79% at IC. Tom Carter 100% at OC (and thats for 43 tackles...) vs 90% IC (186 tackles). Others (Benson Stanley, Doppies LaGrange, Rory Sidey) had better completions at IC.

For those interested in who's who in the Centres when it comes to defending in the Southern Hemisphere;

completion-rates-in-super-rugby-2011/

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Speaking of defense but did my eyes deceive me in seeing Cooper and Beale both playing fullback in defense? It seems Cooper plays right fullback and Beale left fullback, obviously the one closest to the attacking play comes up to defend at wing when required.

If I'm not making it up, then I reckon it is a pretty good system.

P

proton

Dont worry about it. Other teams in the cup would be wishing they had the backline Aus has. Its a very healthy situ to be in when you cant decide who your best is because the bench is so strong. NZ isnt sure who their best is and thats coming from the coach. JOC (James O'Connor) off the bench isnt gonna do him any harm because he will be wanting to play a blinder when he gets game time. Italy would be a good game to see where Mitch is at but I wouldnt push him in there if he aint ready. Oc is a matchwinner as with Beale doesnt really matter who they put on teams against them will struggle its really about getting through the round robin stronger than anyone else and making sure everyones had a bit game time to boot.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I looks like that is the most likely option now. 5/2 bench split. Burgess can always play another backline position at a pinch, he wouldn't be far from a McCabe mould of inside centre anyway!

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Well, with the Italy team now announced, it looks like JOC (James O'Connor) is going to be used as a super sub. Not a bad idea for mine. Him versus AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for wing is a very tricky decision.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is sounder in defense both in terms of dominant tackles and reading the play, but less creative in his attack and probably less polished with his finishing.
JOC (James O'Connor) is an attack wizard, but defense still getting there. Throw in his goal kicking.

All in all, given that we have so much attack in our backling already (genia, cooper, beale, ioane) I think sacrificing JOCs attacking spark for sounder defense may not be that bad an idea. And JOC (James O'Connor) will absolutely rip a game open if he comes on with 20 to go, teams tiring.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
JOC (James O'Connor) is looking good for the 14 jersey if you ask me, his goal kicking will get him the nod over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Not only that, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) offers the extra advantage of being able to play fullback/wing/centre's, that for me is invaluable off the bench. Robbie is showing faith in O'Connor, it's up to the boy wonder to show that he is up to the task.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
JOC (James O'Connor) is looking good for the 14 jersey if you ask me, his goal kicking will get him the nod over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Not only that, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) offers the extra advantage of being able to play fullback/wing/centre's, that for me is invaluable off the bench. Robbie is showing faith in O'Connor, it's up to the boy wonder to show that he is up to the task.

Are you assuming, then, that Fainga'a keeps 13? I think that's far from a done deal.

Knowing Robbie and his faith in players (which is not necessarily a bad thing) I would suggest by the knockout stage we will probably see JOC (James O'Connor) at 14 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back at 13 and Fainga'a probably not even in the 22 due to his lack of versatility.

However, I'm genuinely warming to the JOC (James O'Connor) as super sub idea. Defence is bloody important in a world cup, and as mentioned above, there's plenty of attack in the wallabies already.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd say he has to be more favoured at 13 than McCabe at 12.

The only way I can't see JOC (James O'Connor) making it back into the 14 jumper is if Mitchell has a few blinders, in which case he would obviously be preferred. Where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays is still to be determined, but with Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) coming into form I can't see him holding a spot in the XV unless he moves into the centre's. Dean's is unpredictable so this discussion will have to wait...

P.S I'm also assuming Barnes has a good shot at the 21 jersey as he is Cooper's only real back-up plan, that and he can play 12 if needed, although unlikely. Barnes + JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench seems pretty pointless to me, neither cover 15 and both are playmakers.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We are assuming that JOC (James O'Connor) will come on for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but I'd expect that if Robbie is able (ie game in hand) he would use the opportunity to try a different combinations eg finger, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) or McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or as lee suggests JOC (James O'Connor) at fb to understudy for Beale? It is even likely that inane will get the rest. Who knows?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We are assuming that JOC (James O'Connor) will come on for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but I'd expect that if Robbie is able (ie game in hand) he would use the opportunity to try a different combinations eg finger, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) or McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or as lee suggests JOC (James O'Connor) at fb to understudy for Beale? It is even likely that inane will get the rest. Who knows?

Yeah. There are plenty of options. You could also bring Cooper off, put Beale at 10 and either JOC (James O'Connor) or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to fullback. That could be a test to see whether Beale is genuine understudy to Cooper or whether we need Barnes on the bench.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought that deans had previously said JOC (James O'Connor) was the 10 back up (this was before barnes was available).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree, but rather differently I'd like to see McCabe at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 13!

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I would also quite like to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 13. He's played there before albeit 4 years ago.

But it would be stupid to test it out at the RWC. A.Finger should keep the jersey for now. JOC (James O'Connor) for super sub, Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to battle it out for the wing spot.

Edit: my bad scotty, thought you meant starting

Status
Not open for further replies.