• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

What to do with JOC (James O'Connor)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor)'s key strength at the moment is his broken field running and hence kick return.

Any move from the back three limits that and at the moment the Wallabies will be a lesser side because of it.

His ability to play elsewhere only strengthens our bench, but letting him kick return against a tired defender, in a lazy chase line, sounds best to me today, let bigger, more hardened guys do the heavy lifting/contact work to start matches.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i like him on the bench, ive been calling for it for over a year, if Drew can get back on the wing with Iaone on the other i will be in heaven. I understand the Finger love after brisbane but i dont think he offers enough in attack to bump out AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If only AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) showed that form when he was playing 13.

In all likelihood, the substitution that Robbie will make in the backs will be JOC (James O'Connor) on for Fa'ainga with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moving to 13. Gives the following comparisons - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) vs Fa'ainga for 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) vs JOC (James O'Connor) for 14. (If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) proves clearly superior to Fa'ainga, then we may see Fa'ainga miss out vs Ireland, and Mitchell come onto the bench.)

I would still like JOC (James O'Connor) to be running at 13 from at least some set plays though. He is more likely to create space for men outside him that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is. And AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s finishing close to the line is very good if he has a little space (a little bit Tune-esque with his try in the 99 final).

H

high tower

Deans signalled earlier this year that he saw JOC (James O'Connor) as Coopers back up, when Cooper was crook in the lead up to the springbok match in Sydney, if all the other backs are injury free during the match v Italy he might like to test that theory. He offers much more spark than Barnes in attack and has little to live upto in defence when compared to Quade. I think he is little or no chance of a run at 12 or 13 or even 15 this week and will be on the wing or at 10 when he gets on, no matter who he replaces.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've heard Deans mention in at least one interview that KB (Kurtley Beale) was a backup for Cooper citing the fact that he has played there a lot for the Tahs and got them to a Super Rugby final playing 10.

I guess either is on the cards.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I can't be the only one who thinks that if JOC (James O'Connor) is second choice fly half then something is wrong with the system.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I can't be the only one who thinks that if JOC (James O'Connor) is second choice fly half then something is wrong with the system.

Nope. My preference would be Barnes, Gilbert, JOC (James O'Connor) -- in that order.

As an aside (and not actually related to my preference above), I think JOC (James O'Connor) will ultimately be a 12 and we don't need to ruin another potentially great 12 by trying to turn them into a 10.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
No fear of that. JOC (James O'Connor) has his modelling and singing career to worry about.

The funny thing about that is there are rumors that he and quad are learning guitar and curtly plays drums and that they have already payed down a few tracks through mundines connections from his short lived rap career

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Earlier this year you were probably saying the same about Cooper being first choice.

Nope, Cooper has been clear first choice for a couple of years, I have called for bedrock to be 12 as I see problems with quade that I think berricks game helps but injuries have prevented that this year.

JOC (James O'Connor), probably due to circumstance with being at the force at times is a selfish player to me. His better games are when he is running off someone into space so I see him as a 12. I don't think at this time he is the best in any position be it wing, fullback, centre etc etc. He is however a fantastic bench option with his flexibility and I feel he will have massive impact. In four years time I see him being a great 12 and being at his prime if he doesn't defeat himself.

H

high tower

JOC (James O'Connor) has all of the swagger and bravado of a typical 10, and shows no signs IMO of stepping up physically to the demands of an international 12 as the game is being played.
He makes the occasional strong tackle but doubt he will ever be physically or mentally prepared to play the role on defence making 15 plus front on tackles, and running into brickwalls where required in attack. Has not shown in recent times that he is a team player, with his brand and sleep habits all to me me!

Status
Not open for further replies.