• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2025

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
We're in for some interesting times in Australian rugby.
With the reduction to 4 Super Rugby franchises in 2025, RA has reduced the number of OS player positions for each.
This reduction will have forced some changes and limit options.
I have seen a few people quote this but haven't actually seen anything official to confirm this.

What are the actual numbers allowed and are the Force still allowed 1 or 2 more than the others?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I have seen a few people quote this but haven't actually seen anything official to confirm this.

What are the actual numbers allowed and are the Force still allowed 1 or 2 more than the others?
I think it's being encouraged to sign wallaby eligible players, but not enforced. E.g we prefer you sign these guys not none eligible players. Which is fair I think it should be the aim now with 4 teams

Yoda

Tom Lawton (22)
I think it's being encouraged to sign wallaby eligible players, but not enforced. E.g we prefer you sign these guys not none eligible players. Which is fair I think it should be the aim now with 4 teams
As long as the Tahs don’t get them all !

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Understand the limited contract argument but am not personally convinced squeezing international players out is for the greater good.

Expect the Brums will not be as competetive without Browne, Tua etc.

Also blocks external perspectives & experiences which impedes player devempment imo.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Because of no rugby Australia top up. They better make sure we get LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Canham instead then!
You just got Swain. I can't see any reason for RA to push Salakaia-Loto or Canham to the Force if they're not already interested in heading there.

Rodda likely isn't getting a top up because he hasn't played for the wallabies since 2021, and has barely been on the field the last 2 years it's very hard to justify spending the extra on him, wherever he's playing.

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
The article about Rodda leaving says that rugbyau offered him a wallaby top up to go to the tahs. If that is true then the Force should be asking for a please explain. This certainly doesn't alleviate the suspicions that rugby australia will be doing everything they can to get the best Rebels players to go to the Tahs who they own (conflict of interest anyone?)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Isn't the answer just that Rodda didn't want to stay in Perth for what was being offered. They tried to get him to stay in Australia by offering more money, and also an alternative place to play in Sydney, and he chose not to take that offer either?

What's the issue?
The issue is that an increased offer was conditional on him moving. I would understand if the Force had 3 other Wallaby locks on their books - but they don’t.

Edit: having said that, my interpretation of the article was that the main reason he didn’t sign was that by the time RA increased the offer he had already sourced a deal elsewhere

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
Isn't the answer just that Rodda didn't want to stay in Perth for what was being offered. They tried to get him to stay in Australia by offering more money, and also an alternative place to play in Sydney, and he chose not to take that offer either?

What's the issue?
You don’t see an issue with the same player getting offered a wallaby top up to go to the tahs but not to stay with the force??

The top up system has always been unfair and now the tahs are owned by Rugby Australia it will be worse. Who do you think Phil Waugh would prefer to see the best players go too?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
You don’t see an issue with the same player getting offered a wallaby top up to go to the tahs but not to stay with the force??
We don't know if that's what happened, do we?

He may have been offered a top-up to play at the Force as well, he said no to that, and then RA said what about a top-up and a move to Sydney?

Last edited:

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Rodda has form in deciding where he doesn't want to be. He walked out on the Reds when they were taking reduced contracts due to COVID. The Force thought that they had avoided that form in a post COVID world but now have found out the reality. He has barely played, hasn't demonstrated much for years, and then when the new Wallabies coach doesn't select him away he goes. Good for him in choosing what pays the most but hopefully he can see out his playing years overseas and not entice any Australian Super Rugby teams on his potential anymore.