• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Tahs did the same for a couple of years, handing out pre-season hidings to weak teams like a very, very under strength Samoa, and had similar issues - hard to tell where they stood. At least one hit out against tough opposition seems to be the preferred way now.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Tahs did the same for a couple of years, handing out pre-season hidings to weak teams like a very, very under strength Samoa, and had similar issues - hard to tell where they stood. At least one hit out against tough opposition seems to be the preferred way now.
The issue for the Force is they couldn't get anyone to play the teams on the east didn't want to travel over due to the distance and the same went for the force the teams they will face are hear due to the pacific cup so I guess it's better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tough game to get a guage on where we are at. The Samoans are a rag tag team at best. Good to hear a few guys stepped up, Stander sounds promising and we could do with a hard nut Saffa who can make metres in contact and is a punishing defender.

I just query the point of playing useless oppostion in the preseason and getting an overflated view of where we may stand.

The reality is the WF are playing who was prepared to come to Perth without huge $$ demands. Let's acknowledge that our Rugby is under severe $ constraints. The WF without a main "naming rights" sponsor will need to win to draw the crowds. Sponsorship in the West is difficult as outside Iron Ore EVERYBODY is doing it tough and Rugby is way below the main game in town!!

There was certainly NOBODY after the game who had an "overflated view of where we may stand".

The first half, playing against the wind, was a good workout for our run-on side as they continually had to adjust their game. Some tough, but unskilled, opposition from the Samoa A side whose efforts weren't helped by the 2 yellow cards.

2nd half gave the extended squad a good run and a chance to test combinations against opposition - who unfortunately were running our of legs.

Was very pleasing to see Sam Wykes lift his game from last year with some good ball carries. Kyle, HB and McCalman showing some good ball carrying skills.

Involvement of the forward pack at the breakdown a big improvement from last year.....

Strong depth of talent across the back row.

Scrum performed reasonably well under the new rules of engagement and were never really challenged.

Need to show better skills if kicking against the wind and until developed just keep the ball in hand! (Zack - highly floating kicks just don't work!!!)

Some of the new signings showed that the WF now have good options in most positions, which should improve performance, however need someone to step-up on RWing.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
He is a winger from SA dont know a great deal about him there is a clip on the Force YouTube channel about him and the other Dillan from SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Sage came on after half time and, I think, was playing Outside Centre, and showed a lot of pace on the ball and combined well. His try under the posts came from his pace around the Samoans.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
re preseason games,the Force has travelled to Darwin twice in the past few seasons to play the Brumbies.The Nt government has not renewed any funding for this event;a pity because a few of us Force supporters have travelled up there for these preseason games & have contributed heavily to the NT economy(mainly in purchasing liquid refreshments)
Darwin was a great place to visit

Our fucking idiot government withdrew the funding claiming it un affordable but gave 4 million to Parramatta to come.

It sucks this year not having the trial up here.

I think the only way we will get rugby back is if a franchise commits to playing matches both in Darwin and Alice Springs.

It probably wasn't a great contributor to the economy though and certainly not heavily.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Our fucking idiot government withdrew the funding claiming it un affordable but gave 4 million to Parramatta to come.

I think the only way we will get rugby back is if a franchise commits to playing matches both in Darwin and Alice Springs.

It probably wasn't a great contributor to the economy though and certainly not heavily.
you are saying Im not alcoholic?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

Fingers crossed Darwin and Adelaide will be able to pick up a few NRC games. Perth vs Queensland Country could be a good one in Darwin.

T

tranquility

Very excited about the prospects for the Force this year, the squad looks really well balanced and it's good to see so many genuine Perth products in the mix. However, can someone explain how you have so many Saffas on your list? How many will become eligible for Aus ?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Very excited about the prospects for the Force this year, the squad looks really well balanced and it's good to see so many genuine Perth products in the mix. However, can someone explain how you have so many Saffas on your list? How many will become eligible for Aus ?

Until I see how we go against some real opposition I am remaining cautious for the year ahead.

The ARU increased both the number of marquee players we can have from 1 to 2 so we have Alby and then Steenkamp both who will never be eligible for the Wobs.

The Development spots have increased from 2 to 6 but we have only signed 5.

4 from SA and 1 from nz so its a bit over the top people saying we are chock full of saffas. Sias and Haywood are into there second year of a 3 year qualifying period at the end of that they will be eligible to AUS.

Marcel, Heiberg and Stander have just now started their 3 year residency so again at the end of that they will be eligible.

Of those 5 I can really only ever see 1 Stander anywhere near the Wobs guy is a beast after watching him last week I cant wait to see what he does in super rugby. A cross between Pocock and Hooper really exiting.

We also have another 3 Saffas in the WTG but they are not signed up to the squad maybe a view to use as cover in an injury occurs and use the 6th development spot and also in the NRC they would be meeting requirements for residency so again after 3 years would be eligible.

T

tranquility

I like that he is back in town. His first go at Soup footy wasn't too great, but he looked good over in France.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I like that he is back in town. His first go at Soup footy wasn't too great, but he looked good over in France.

He was very young only about 20 and I think we all remember him brain snap running it out from the try line.

He has played a lot of rugby since 52 senior games in France which would have done wonders for him and last year against the Lions a few days after getting off a plane and no training didn’t disgrace himself so hopefully he make a better shot at it this year.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

The South African contingent is the result of a lot of work by the coaching staff and team management.

While the local talent is developed (and Foley has done more in his 1.5 years than others in 7 years) RSA is ripe for the picking:
  • Competition is high in RSA so many good players struggle to get game time.
  • Perth is considered to be like Cape Town - a great place to live.
  • 4x means that a good A$ salary is an excellent Rand number
  • They have great discipline, respect for coach and captain and are in a franchise where if you put in the effort then you WILL get game time.
  • There is little/no politics around around the Force - the focus is success on the field and promoting the game.
  • To a man the RSA players have slotted into the team/Perth culture.
By contrast it has been difficult for WF to attract and retain East Coast or NZ players as for many moving west has been seen as an admission of failure.

However, nothing will succeed like success and for the sake of the franchise and Rugby in WA the WF have to start winning!!!

M

Moono75

Good to see MMM getting a run in the Force A team on Friday night. A quicker than expected recovery that hopefully lasts for the whole season. The biggest plus for the Force this year is that the talent on the roster has been upgraded and the depth improved. Combine this with our usual dogged determination and on paper at least we should make some solid improvements. I hope it also translates to the park.

Will have great interest in seeing what the starting team looks like for the Tahs game. I think our starting centre pairing could be the most contentious. Godwin is a lock, not so sure about Brache. I think Junior started to show a bit last year and has good size and speed to feed off Godwin.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree on all counts re improving the depth, and given the new coaches background I'm confident we have the pick of the bunch from RSA... but combinations take time... and whilst I am very happy with their approach, particularly bringing so many locals home, I am cautious about this season... hopeful, but cautious.

...and this season is what defines Foley too... they need to demonstrate a big step up..........

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
ta7aha4e.jpg
i understand there are mistakes at times but the management over at the force need to wake up. They get too much wrong. Uploading pics Of players in old jerseys from other clubs, the footage from the trial game is absolute crap. Not worth watching. Why can't we be up to scratch and deliver a product to the fans like they are doing over east. Not to mention it seams no s15 clubs wanted to play against us in pre season.

Status
Not open for further replies.