• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think the Force need to next year try and develop Godwin as a 10. He is local and this has always been our hoodoo position since Gits left.

Give him this year to gain some confidence with the extra time/space at 12 and then next year throw him in and see if he can perform.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the Force need to next year try and develop Godwin as a 10. He is local and this has always been our hoodoo position since Gits left.

Give him this year to gain some confidence with the extra time/space at 12 and then next year throw him in and see if he can perform.

By all accounts (by the "experts"), 12 is his best position. I can't say myself, as I didn't see him in the JWC, but that's the word. I would also add that 12 is probably Gits' best position as well.

It's also no coincidence that things unraveled a bit when Ebersohn left the game last weekend. You'd have to thing that a) he wouldn't have missed the sitter that Hayward missed (of course, Ebersohn missed two as well), b) he probably would've controlled the game a bit more and played some field position, and c) he would've had a better crack at the drop goal that Godwin took.

A lot of "what ifs," I know, but I think they would've been in a better position to close out that win if Ebersohn was there.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Isn't he off to Japan?
As far as I know there was a rumor about that in the beginning of the season, but Mafi denied everything, so there's nothing official.

I reckon he's playing better at centre than at flyhalf now, I don't see any reason why Force should develop his skill at 10 rather than keeping him improving at centre

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
I was disappointed you guys did not beat the Waratahs but I think the squad is 80% there. However I believe your scrum has to improve rather than debate which position best suits Godwin.

Maybe you should try for last month's rumour of Max Lahiff, but everyone is after a THP.

How far away from playing is Cummins?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The force should leave godwin at 12 and bring zack holmes home to be the 10 going forward.

Our forward pack is just fine. The scrum may not be world beaters ripping apart opo scrums but nor is it getting ripped apart

I agree about the squad almost being there. What we lack is that xfactor player to make something out of nothing. The force need to get JOC (James O'Connor) back. Just like gits returned home to the team he belonged to so should JOC (James O'Connor).

Next year will see maafu move on with manu getting a full squad spot and i expext perth boy ollie hoskins to get the eps spot.

I want the perth boys back DHP Cruze.

The team is heading in the right direction but it wont happen over night.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was disappointed you guys did not beat the Waratahs but I think the squad is 80% there. However I believe your scrum has to improve rather than debate which position best suits Godwin.

Maybe you should try for last month's rumour of Max Lahiff, but everyone is after a THP.

Lahiff is signed to the rebels next year

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The force should leave godwin at 12 and bring zack holmes home to be the 10 going forward.

Our forward pack is just fine. The scrum may not be world beaters ripping apart opo scrums but nor is it getting ripped apart

I agree about the squad almost being there. What we lack is that xfactor player to make something out of nothing. The force need to get JOC (James O'Connor) back. Just like gits returned home to the team he belonged to so should JOC (James O'Connor).

Next year will see maafu move on with manu getting a full squad spot and i expext perth boy ollie hoskins to get the eps spot.

I want the perth boys back DHP Cruze.

The team is heading in the right direction but it wont happen over night.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

I agree mate. If I was the force I'd be after:
Zack Homles
Ian Prior
Luke Morahan
James O'Connor

Put those blokes together with Cummins, Mafi and Godwin and you start to actually have some real penetration in the back-line.

Imagine:

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd also be looking for a good backs coach and a change of mindset from Foley.

The Force cannot continue to play the risk free percentage Rugby that Foley (and Hickey) forced down the Tah's fans throat year on year telling us how good they were doing, presenting the statistics to prove it. If they do you will have a fan revolt in the same manner as the Tahs did, for the same reasons - 1)It is mind numbingly boring to watch as you know exactly what is going to happen over each of the up to 15 phases, as long as they don't drop it get turned over. 2) The results may well equate to close wins if you have a pack of forwards that includes 6 or 7 Wallabies or near test class players, who turn up on game day. When they don't it will result in humiliating capitulations (see Cheetahs at SFS 2011 for an example). Do the Force have this pack? maybe they have 5.

They need to change now while they still have some semblance of backline play and support runners. After 5 years of Hickey/Foley play there was nothing left on which to build at the Tahs and even the basic running lines have had to be re-established.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd also be looking for a good backs coach and a change of mindset from Foley.

The Force cannot continue to play the risk free percentage Rugby that Foley (and Hickey) forced down the Tah's fans throat year on year telling us how good they were doing, presenting the statistics to prove it. If they do you will have a fan revolt in the same manner as the Tahs did, for the same reasons - 1)It is mind numbingly boring to watch as you know exactly what is going to happen over each of the up to 15 phases, as long as they don't drop it get turned over. 2) The results may well equate to close wins if you have a pack of forwards that includes 6 or 7 Wallabies or near test class players, who turn up on game day. When they don't it will result in humiliating capitulations (see Cheetahs at SFS 2011 for an example). Do the Force have this pack? maybe they have 5.

They need to change now while they still have some semblance of backline play and support runners. After 5 years of Hickey/Foley play there was nothing left on which to build at the Tahs and even the basic running lines have had to be re-established.

The main difference i see from the Force and the tahs is the quality of players. The tahs have so much talent yet have never really fulfilled their potential no matter who the coach was.

Foley is in his first year we are far more competitive then we have been in the last 3 years so I’m not about to throw the baby out with the bath water. I will be looking at for steady improvement this year (which there has already been) and for next year with a bit of good recruiting (and tah fans don’t need to comment on how Foley cant recruit) to be a year of results. If it isn’t then maybe it will be time to reassess.

And on you back coach comment. The forces have a very very well credentialed Backs coach in Steve Meehan so no issue’s there.

The tahs beat us by 4 on at home laden full of star players and hours after the team had been rocked by a tragedy that really puts rugby and sport into perspevtive.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The main difference i see from the Force and the tahs is the quality of players. The tahs have so much talent yet have never really fulfilled their potential no matter who the coach was.

Foley is in his first year we are far more competitive then we have been in the last 3 years so I’m not about to throw the baby out with the bath water. I will be looking at for steady improvement this year (which there has already been) and for next year with a bit of good recruiting (and tah fans don’t need to comment on how Foley cant recruit) to be a year of results. If it isn’t then maybe it will be time to reassess.

And on you back coach comment. The forces have a very very well credentialed Backs coach in Steve Meehan so no issue’s there.

The tahs beat us by 4 on at home laden full of star players and hours after the team had been rocked by a tragedy that really puts rugby and sport into perspevtive.

I don't have the statistics in front of me but 65% of the ball or there abouts and no effective use of it and a coach using the exact lines he used in the previous years when coaching the Tahs. The great thing about the game plan that Foley is playing is you will always get these sort of results, close wins or close losses unless the players fail to front in which you get those humiliations I mentioned. I wouldn't be waiting on any great improvement in that plan in terms of actual results, it is limited in the extreme, but if you are happy with statistical improvement in terms of phases, territory, tackle completion etc etc you will most certainly see consistency.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
It is a waste for the Force to sign Hanson. As much as teams have a responsibility to build a squad with depth, it is a waste to have two potential Wallabies (Hanson and Charles) in the same squad.

Hanson is a big improvement on Charles for the Force, I wouldn't have Charles anywhere near the Wallabies at the moment either, maybe 5/6th on the pecking order.

Status
Not open for further replies.