• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's not at all near the standard of ITM Cup.. it's fast paced but the physicality is not there. SBW runs through them.

That's actually incorrect, he's a stand out but he's not scoring tries even as often as he did in Super Rugby.

A bloke like Timami who's a decent Wallaby struggled in Japan.

M

Moono75

I heard in some radio grabs that 3M said he needed to hit the weights to bulk back up again as the Japanese game was more speed orientated and he had lost some conditioning. Whatever form he does comes back in he has some great experience to impart to the younger squad members and can contribute as a on-field leader which we will definitley need with Sharpies retirement(s).

T

tranquility

Better than Rocky when?

How far do you want to go back?

He was better than him in their High School pack at NC.

He was also selected before Rocky for the Wobbs, and more consistently albeit as a lock. In 2005 under Connolly who decided that his first order of the day would be to reinstate a tradition 6 played Daniel Heenan as the first choice Blindman, he then was injured and MMM was played at 6 and Rocky was third in the cue.

Rocky then cemented himself as the best 6 in the country following injuries to the other two, and his career kicked on.

Heenan prematurely retired, and MMM couldn't get fit again and went to Japan.

Imagine if we had Al Kanaar still running around as well.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I heard in some radio grabs that 3M said he needed to hit the weights to bulk back up again as the Japanese game was more speed orientated and he had lost some conditioning. Whatever form he does comes back in he has some great experience to impart to the younger squad members and can contribute as a on-field leader which we will definitley need with Sharpies retirement(s).

I'm sure that any S&C coach would rather tell a player to hit the weights and protein shakes after Japan while maintaining their fitness rather than peeling off the fat and building the fitness after a European adventure (and struggling not to have them lose too much power).

Much easily process, quicker too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How far do you want to go back?

He was better than him in their High School pack at NC.

He was also selected before Rocky for the Wobbs, and more consistently albeit as a lock. In 2005 under Connolly who decided that his first order of the day would be to reinstate a tradition 6 played Daniel Heenan as the first choice Blindman, he then was injured and MMM was played at 6 and Rocky was third in the cue.

Rocky then cemented himself as the best 6 in the country following injuries to the other two, and his career kicked on.

Heenan prematurely retired, and MMM couldn't get fit again and went to Japan.

Imagine if we had Al Kanaar still running around as well.

Your memory doesn't serve you well.

In 2006, when Connolly took over the Wallabies, Heenan played at 6 and Rocky at 8.

After that match against England, which Rocky was named man of the match, Rocky remained in the starting side as a part of Connolly's 7/8 experiment (with Chisholm at 6, then Fava) and then Rocky shifted to 6 permanently.

Also, I'm not sure when MMM debuted but Eddie Jones started Rocky at 6 for the first lot of tests in 2005 too.

MMM was never selected over Rocky.

Edit: Hugh McMeniman debuted for the Wallabies off the bench in the same game that Rocky made his starting debut. Rocky went on to be Eddie Jones' preferred 6 that year except for one match where he started John Roe ahead of him.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Here is his press conference

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

T

tranquility

In 2006, when Connolly took over the Wallabies, Heenan played at 6 and Rocky at 8.

After that match against England, which Rocky was named man of the match, Rocky remained in the starting side as a part of Connolly's 7/8 experiment (with Chisholm at 6, then Fava) and then Rocky shifted to 6 permanently.

Also, I'm not sure when MMM debuted but Eddie Jones started Rocky at 6 for the first lot of tests in 2005 too.

MMM was never selected over Rocky.

Edit: Hugh McMeniman debuted for the Wallabies off the bench in the same game that Rocky made his starting debut. Rocky went on to be Eddie Jones' preferred 6 that year except for one match where he started John Roe ahead of him.

Good research, hats off.

Let me rephrase then, MMM was always better than Elsom in my eyes and would have taken his jersey if it weren't for the fact that he could play lock as well.

Even better MMM can still play, and is only 28 - which depending in injuries leaves a long time for him to play for the Wobbs, if he is good enough.

MMM was also a year younger than that other renaissance bloke.

T

tranquility

On another note, go the flipping force.

Everything is coming together nicely, and I think they will be very very good.

As it stands, Australian rugby is in the best position it has been for a long time with every province having a fantastic structure and direction.

I dont know much about the Rebels program, but there players are improving in leaps and bounds so I can only assume Hill is up to the task.

Most of our players development happens at state level, so it is great to see world class coaches across the board.

It will also help Robbie get to sleep, knowing the blokes will be at the very least fit and hopefully in form.

T

tranquility

Who was playing 8 for the Wallabies at the time?

Sorry to continue this stroll down memory lane and I realise it doesn't matter. However, I am positive that MMM was given a chance for the Wallaby's at 6 before he got injured. Because I remember thinking that he would get his spot back as soon as he was fit, but Rocky kicked on and when Hugh was fit again he made the 2007 WC squad with almost no preparation but not in the XV.

U

Utility Back

Yeeewww, so happy with the news, MMM one of my favourites, great to have hom back in aus.

He's had some time out, but he has that natural mongrel and physicality that you don't lose.
enforcer, I've heard from experienced players Jap Rugby is perhaps closer to Brisbane Premier Grade. ITM cup.

At the very least it is terrific for our depth, and spreading talent around Aus.

Backrow of Hodgson, McCalman, Brown and Wykes&mmm at Lock?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That is good news that the signing of 3M is official. He probably has been for some time except for dotting the Is and crossing the Ts; so my carping that both the new 7s should not have been signed before a 4th lock was given a full contract, was probably not warranted. It's just that the Genia kerfuffle gave me pause.

3M was an exciting player when he came on the scene, but like another exciting Queensalnder, Heenan, he seemed cursed by injury. I hope that he can "shoulder" the load in Super Rugby because that part of him was brittle the last time around.

It would be difficult to assess his form since his club doesn't even play in the top league - (which is called Top League :)) - but if he can play at or near his best he will be a grand recruitment, even though the Force need a genuine TH lock type at scrum time.

Another thing I am not sure about is: is he playing in the current season in the 2nd division and if so, when will he become available?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who was playing 8 for the Wallabies at the time?

Sorry to continue this stroll down memory lane and I realise it doesn't matter. However, I am positive that MMM was given a chance for the Wallaby's at 6 before he got injured. Because I remember thinking that he would get his spot back as soon as he was fit, but Rocky kicked on and when Hugh was fit again he made the 2007 WC squad with almost no preparation but not in the XV.

MMM didn't get a chance at 6 until Rocky went to Ireland.

Lyons and Smith played at 8 in 2005.

And then Rocky/Smith in 2006. Then Connolly swapped around Rocky and Fava. And then Palu got capped against SA and held down the role.

You were right before that Heenan was actually first choice 6 on the back o the 2006 S14 season but injured himself against England in the first test and never returned.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
That is good news that the signing of 3M is official. He probably has been for some time except for dotting the Is and crossing the Ts; so my carping that both the new 7s should not have been signed before a 4th lock was given a full contract, was probably not warranted. It's just that the Genia kerfuffle gave me pause.

3M was an exciting player when he came on the scene, but like another exciting Queensalnder, Heenan, he seemed cursed by injury. I hope that he can "shoulder" the load in Super Rugby because that part of him was brittle the last time around.

It would be difficult to assess his form since his club doesn't even play in the top league - (which is called Top League :)) - but if he can play at or near his best he will be a grand recruitment, even though the Force need a genuine TH lock type at scrum time.

Another thing I am not sure about is: is he playing in the current season in the 2nd division and if so, when will he become available?
From listening to the press conference his time in Japan is up and he will be looking to get a full preseason under his belt.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That's good news: I read a report that indicated that he would not be joining the Force until the end of the current Japanese season.

I can't find the link now - and the info was probably bunk anyway going by what you said.

Edit - Found it in the Canberra Times.

With more than four months still remaining on the Japanese season, it was not clear when McMeniman would begin training in Perth.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
In the press conference video at top of page Foley indicates that his first preference for MMM may be at 6. ?? Still, its a long way between now and kick off next year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's quite a backrow; McMeniman, McCalman, Cottrell, Brown, Hodgson, Alcock, McCaffrey

I dare you to put out 4. McCalman 5. McMeniman 6. Brown 7. Hodgson 8. McCaffrey

Too many Macs for my liking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.