• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So who are the confirmed 28 players then as there has been much speculation as to who has been let go and/or failed medicals?

Here is the Confirmed 28 players

Props
1. Pek Cowan 2014 - Wallaby Caps
2. Tetera Faulkner 2013
3. Kieran Longbottom 2014
4. Salesi Ma'afu 2013 Wallaby Caps

Hookers
5. Nathan Charles 2014
6. Ben Whittaker 2013

Locks
7. Toby Lyn 2013
8. Sam Wykes 2013
9. Phoenix Battye 2014

Flankers/8’s
10. Richard Brown 2014 - Wallaby Caps
11. Matt Hodgson 2013 Wallaby Caps
12. Lachlan McCaffry 2013
13. Ben McCallman 2013 Wallaby Caps
14. Chris Alcock 2014
15. Angus Cottrell

Halfbacks
16. Alby Mathewson 2014 Marquee Player Spot All Black Caps
17. Brett Sheehan 2013 Wallaby Caps

Flyhalfs
18. Sias Ebersohn 2014 Development Player Spot
19. Kyle Godwin 2014

Inside Backs
20. Winston Stanley 2013
21. Chris Tuatara-Morrison 2014
22. Nick Cummins 2013 Wallaby Caps
23. Will Tupuo 2013
24. Solomoni Rasolea

Outside Backs
25. Pat Dellit 2013
26. Alfie Mafi 2013
27. Sam Norton-Knight 2014 Wallaby Caps
28. Ed Stubbs

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Correct me if I'm wrong although it's to my understand that Rapana will be back for 2013. It is also believed that Foley has interests in signing rookie hooker and former Aus U20's representative Hugh Roach.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Correct me if I'm wrong although it's to my understand that Rapana will be back for 2013. It is also believed that Foley has interests in signing rookie hooker and former Aus U20's representative Hugh Roach.
Well rapana has been released for 2013 and we have already signed 3hookers so not sure aboit all that

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Here is the Confirmed 28 players

Locks
7. Toby Lyn 2013
8. Sam Wykes 2013
9. Phoenix Battye 2014

Flankers/8’s
10. Richard Brown 2014 - Wallaby Caps
11. Matt Hodgson 2013 Wallaby Caps
12. Lachlan McCaffry 2013
13. Ben McCallman 2013 Wallaby Caps
14. Chris Alcock 2014
15. Angus Cottrell

Although Walton is in the EPS, 2 Locks are needed to correct this imbalance and to get a 17/13 split.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Although Walton is in the EPS, 2 Locks are needed to correct this imbalance and to get a 17/13 split.
We have only ever had 4 locks in the 35 man squad. this year we will have an extra in the eps plus mccalman who is a more than handy replacement if need be. I dont see how you can have 6 locks in a squad of 35. 3M will give us the 4th lock in the man squad and walton the injury cover if need be. How many squads are carrying 6 locks?

The squad will be 16/14 and the eps 3/2

T

tranquility

You would hope that Phoenix stands up next year, and is at the very least a depdendable option. Otherwise you locking stocks are not keeping too many bandits out of houses. I will never understand why Tom Hockings was let go so early into his career.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You would hope that Phoenix stands up next year, and is at the very least a depdendable option. Otherwise you locking stocks are not keeping too many bandits out of houses. I will never understand why Tom Hockings was let go so early into his career.
You can thank RG for that.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Disagree with you Gaffa.

I think you need 4 locks in your contracted players and to count McCalman as one of them is like whistling in the wind. Yeah, I've seen McCalman play lock in Grade rugby and play there sometimes in Super rugby like everybody else has and it proves my point.

It would not be so bad if the three contracted locks the Force have definitely signed were proven hard head guys but they are not. There is not a decent tight head lock amongst them, nor has there been one for a while. Battye is tall enough and heavy enough but is not of starting Super standard in my opinion. Lynn is a journeyman and Wykes though gifted and athletic has no physical presence.

You counted the EPS player Walton and he could turn out a better hard head lock than the other three but as we speak he is unproven as you know.

The Force have too many backrowers and not enough 2nd rowers and should not have signed both Cotterill and Alcock. Most likely they will get a lock and a back three guy for 16/14; but such is the lack of quality in the 2nd row I would get 2 locks for a 17/13 split. No, other teams don't have 5 contracted locks, but they don't need them. All that is academic now as to get 2 good ones now would be unlikely.

If 3M is a definite to make it 4 contracted locks it's not so bad, but unless you have inside information, let's see him announced first. I haven't seen him play since he went overseas and when he did play here he was a poor scrummager who often lost his left arm bind when he played on the TH side. He was found out scrummaging there for the Wallabies, which is probably an unfair comment, but playing test matches reveals the weaknesses best.

And do you know what his injury record was overseas? He was crocked a lot here and I hope that has changed for his sake and, if he is a definite, for the Force also.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lynn was pretty solid last season Lee. He'd start in most if not all Aussie Super rugby teams on his 2012 form.

After that, there are obviously questions marks but if hypothetically you have a very good trio if your have Lynn on 2012 form, Wykes on 2011 form, and MMM basically just not falling apart.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Disagree with you Gaffa.

I think you need 4 locks in your contracted players and to count McCalman as one of them is like whistling in the wind. Yeah, I've seen McCalman play lock in Grade rugby and play there sometimes in Super rugby like everybody else has and it proves my point.

It would not be so bad if the three contracted locks the Force have definitely signed were proven hard head guys but they are not. There is not a decent tight head lock amongst them, nor has there been one for a while. Battye is tall enough and heavy enough but is not of starting Super standard in my opinion. Lynn is a journeyman and Wykes though gifted and athletic has no physical presence.

You counted the EPS player Walton and he could turn out a better hard head lock than the other three but as we speak he is unproven as you know.

The Force have too many backrowers and not enough 2nd rowers and should not have signed both Cotterill and Alcock. Most likely they will get a lock and a back three guy for 16/14; but such is the lack of quality in the 2nd row I would get 2 locks for a 17/13 split. No, other teams don't have 5 contracted locks, but they don't need them. All that is academic now as to get 2 good ones now would be unlikely.

If 3M is a definite to make it 4 contracted locks it's not so bad, but unless you have inside information, let's see him announced first. I haven't seen him play since he went overseas and when he did play here he was a poor scrummager who often lost his left arm bind when he played on the TH side. He was found out scrummaging there for the Wallabies, which is probably an unfair comment, but playing test matches reveals the weaknesses best.

And do you know what his injury record was overseas? He was crocked a lot here and I hope that has changed for his sake and, if he is a definite, for the Force also.
Im not saying that McCalmam is a starter at lock but can be injury cover if things turn bad. From what im told 3M is a done deal which gives us our 4 contracted locks. I agree that there is a lack of big mean thl but we have what we have.

Guys like Battye and Lynn will have to step it up next year not only for the team but they will be playing for spots i suspect a high turn over on the player list again next year and all players will have to prove themselves. That said i though lynn held his own last year and was just shadowed by the sharpe show that was his last year.

I just feel you cant afford to have more than 4 locks in the main squad with the limited squad numbers esp when there isnt to mant thl available who are knocking the door down.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

I agree with your arguments- but which two? Australian second row stocks are bone dry. I'd love a Will Caldwell type but there aren't many, if any, experienced guys like that out there.

I'd like to see a second EPS spot go to a second rower but not two more in the main squad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lynn was pretty solid last season Lee. He'd start in most if not all Aussie Super rugby teams on his 2012 form.

After that, there are obviously questions marks but if hypothetically you have a very good trio if your have Lynn on 2012 form, Wykes on 2011 form, and MMM basically just not falling apart.

I have to strongly disagree with the first part here.

Lynn wouldn't get a start at any other Aussie team with the quality o locks around.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lynn wouldn't get a start at any other Aussie team with the quality o locks around.

You reckon? I see what you mean and I don't have any stats sheets to refer to but I'd say Lynn is very much a coach's favourite type player. Wins lineouts, scrums solidly, clears rucks, works hard at training, and has an old head. I think those in the Force's coaching department would be quietly happy with his 2012 season.

If I was the Force I'd get around this Daniel Adongo character who's playing Counties Manukau (turn on the TV now to see why). He's raw as but the Force need locks, they have an international spot, and the bloke has a tonne of potential. He'd be cheap too.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You reckon? I see what you mean and I don't have any stats sheets to refer to but I'd say Lynn is very much a coach's favourite type player. Wins lineouts, scrums solidly, clears rucks, works hard at training, and has an old head. I think those in the Force's coaching department would be quietly happy with his 2012 season.

If I was the Force I'd get around this Daniel Adongo character who's playing Counties Manukau (turn on the TV now to see why). He's raw as but the Force need locks, they have an international spot, and the bloke has a tonne of potential. He'd be cheap too.
Not only the coachs but the players to he was voted the force man of the year as the players player.

Status
Not open for further replies.