• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
So Salesi Manu, the 2012 Force rookie of the year, does not have a full contract and yet they got to keep him in the west? That's a good trick and good luck to the Force for pulling it off because I rate him at his age - though it won't be until a few years down the track that we can assess him properly as a scrummager.

Of all the backs outside the scrumhalf only Cummins and Mafi look likely to cause any damage, not that my Tahs are going to be any better. And there are too many centres and not enough back 3 players. Incidentally, I remember Stubbs as a centre.

Sharpie is going to be a big loss - not that that is a newsflash. Lynn is a journeyman, Battye does not have the quality to start in Super Rugby and Wykes is full of athletic merit but plays a light game as you would expect with his build. And the last time I saw 3M in Super rugby he was always crocked.

I remember that Walton of Northern Suburbs was nominated to be an EPS player. The 23 y.o. is a raw boned Country lad who has spent some time in the Brumbies stable. He is the type of 2nd rower that the Force need, but he is unproven.

The 2nd row is going to be a problem and it will impact in the scrums as well, not that Sharpie helped out a lot there.

The players listed reveal a 15/13 split; so the 2 additions should be forwards to make it 17/13.

This will be a shame as I read somewhere that Pakalani may be recruited. He did nothing wrong at the Tahs because he hardly ever got the ball - but he was in top form for Southern Districts this year, and he has a bit of zing.

[Edit - have just noticed the previous post, made whilst I was typing this - which says Pakalani will miss next season.]

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
In relation to manu i think the deal was done a while ago. With all the props already signed up before he showed what he had Maafu will be gone next year and Manu will be a ready made replacement by then I hope they then look at bringing Cruze or Ollie back as EPS.

M

Moono75

Got a member email from Western Force with the Chairman Russel Perry outlining the various changes with the team, structure etc moving into 2013. He did say that there will be further announcements regarding players, whether this is 3M or some other smokey that hasn't been talked about so far.

It's nice to see that the Force have taken on some of the feedback from the fans and are a lot more open and forthcoming with information on where they are heading. They are ticking all the boxes and if the onfield performance follows we will have something to cheer about next year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Manu will probably be an 'EPS' but there'd be cash stocked aside for when he gets his 5 games and has to get paid as a full player I'd imagine.

Shame about Pakalani. Stubbs is a decent player, you wouldn't be disappointed to have him rounding out your depth.

I don't see how or why the MMM signing would be announced so late.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Manu will probably be an 'EPS' but there'd be cash stocked aside for when he gets his 5 games and has to get paid as a full player I'd imagine.

Shame about Pakalani. Stubbs is a decent player, you wouldn't be disappointed to have him rounding out your depth.

I don't see how or why the MMM signing would be announced so late.

Who knows but there is this from an italian Rugby page Via google translate

Hugh McMeniman is ready to leave the Japanese league, currently under the Kubota Spears the 28-year old second / third line of the Wallabies (21 caps) had long been courted by Stade Toulousain and Racing-Métro, but the Top 14 preferred a return to the Super Rugby. The former player of the Queensland Reds has long been in contact with his former team, so much so that the Australian media to take it for a fact its engagement with the franchise based in Brisbane, but his friendship with Richard Brown would finally convinced hir to move to Perth to play with Western Force. The news was reported by the French media, but not yet the official.

http://www.rugbymercato.it/2012/09/25/mcmeniman-ai-western-force/

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Away from the rugby side of things - I'd love to see the force ditch the colour blue and go with a black and gold jersey.

Force fans always seem like the most kitted out super rugby supporters. I think the force should go the AFL route and create a traditional looking jersey and keep it that way so that it builds brand recognition.

In time it could become a way for westerners to unite under a single jersey; much like casual supporters from the southern states will still buy a wallabies jersey, because it ear marks you as Australian, especially when overseas. Aussie Rules and League don't really have the strong national team brand recognition that rugby has.

Redesigned jerseys are also often used by organisation looking for a fresh start like the force will be next year. All about the vibe.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Away from the rugby side of things - I'd love to see the force ditch the colour blue and go with a black and gold jersey.

Force fans always seem like the most kitted out super rugby supporters. I think the force should go the AFL route and create a traditional looking jersey and keep it that way so that it builds brand recognition.

In time it could become a way for westerners to unite under a single jersey; much like casual supporters from the southern states will still buy a wallabies jersey, because it ear marks you as Australian, especially when overseas. Aussie Rules and League don't really have the strong national team brand recognition that rugby has.

Redesigned jerseys are also often used by organisation looking for a fresh start like the force will be next year. All about the vibe.
cant like this enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Whilst MMM is a good signing I think you guys are pretty set for 4/6 type players with Wykes and McCalman.

Think the money might have been better spent elsewhere.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree Bowside about the Jersey. The black and gold has been used by the Force before, but not as regularly as I'd like. As a team that represents our great state, I'd like to see them do it more.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was out away strip from the start until 2011 when we went to the white one. I was told that it was required by the ARU for all AUS teams to have a white away strip which all do so not sure if that is true but i wish the black and gold would come back.

M

Moono75

Regarding the Force jersey I don't agree. Whilst I acknowledge our State colours are yellow and black, after 7 years invested in the Force I don't want to see a change now. We are the Sea of Blue, that is the one key message, tradition we have established so far and I think we should stick with it. Please no Gen Y change for change sake crap.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Regarding the Force jersey I don't agree. Whilst I acknowledge our State colours are yellow and black, after 7 years invested in the Force I don't want to see a change now. We are the Sea of Blue, that is the one key message, tradition we have established so far and I think we should stick with it. Please no Gen Y change for change sake crap.
to clarify my comment i wouldnt want to change the blue home strip just go back to the original away colours.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think a predominantly black strip with a yellow back would be good.

The Force can model it on the honey badger.

honey-badger.jpg

M

Moono75

By all means tinker with the away strip but as has been mentioned above already I think there are some restrictions with white
having to be included and you will always want to tie aspects of your home jersey into the away (ie blue).

Plus they have already lightened the shade of blue used in the jersey from that of the classic 2006 edition. Its been a subtle evolution
over the past few years.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I always associate the Force's jersey with purple rather than "the sea of blue" that the media touts but maybe that's just me.

One thing's for sure, the Aussie conference and Super rugby as a whole could use less blue teams.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
As unthinkable as it is to change the Jersey, which by the way in my unbiased opinion is the best Jersy in the S15;), I would support a black and yellow strip. It would look pretty classy if done well. Deep onyx black and glossy gold.

Only problem with using it as an away Jersey would be that black would not work with any of the NZ teams except the Landers and Blues, and wouldn't work with the Stormers and Chiefs. But it would work with all of the other Aussie teams. That's why we should have an Aussie derby strip. That is when our state colours also matter the most.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon the Rebels are more purple than the Force are. There needs to be a brown or a green super rugby team.

Really? I'd say the Force are much closer to purple but perhaps I'm wrong.

A brown Super Rugby team? Sesh, wouldn't want to be the marketing team dealing with that.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I heard a rumour that a well known Australian back maybe looking our way next year and it will be public knowledge by mid November who that someone is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.